Hard-tail vs Dual Suspension 2014

Runbikeswim

So this has been covered to death, but thought a 2014/2015 perspective would be nice as tech and bikes have changed.

Lets leave 26 and 650 out for now and look at just the 29er.

What is the advantages / disadvantages in hard vs softain in today’s world?

The extra cost and extra service is it worth it and why?

Your average XC and Marathon racer, you weekend worrier, your stage racer.

I am in the process of buying a new intern bike and want to build my dream bike, but now im stuck as my heart says go DS and my brain says go HT

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My take is with technology making bikes so light, back shocks so stiff, I believe if you have the cash, the option of DS is a must for SA Marathons and Ultra Marathons. Look at what the front of the bunch are riding on. Apart from Kevin Evans almost all the top guys ride rigid dual sus super light bikes.

You have no brain. According to your spelling. "weekend worrier!!"

Better follow your heart.

Don't get upset, just joking. DS is the way to go

So this has been covered to death, but thought a 2014/2015 perspective would be nice as tech and bikes have changed.

Lets leave 26 and 650 out for now and look at just the 29er.

What is the advantages / disadvantages in hard vs softain in today’s world?

The extra cost and extra service is it worth it and why?

Your average XC and Marathon racer, you weekend worrier, your stage racer.

I am in the process of buying a new intern bike and want to build my dream bike, but now im stuck as my heart says go DS and my brain says go HT

Forget the pro's and con's....buy with your heart, your head will thank you in the long run. :thumbup:

I recently went over from a HT to a DS and thats the best thing I could ever do..love it..but yes you now have 2 suspensions that need to be serviced..and you have all the suspension linkages etc..but totally worth it.

One bike perfectly suited for any type of riding all day long.

G

A Pyga. Low maintenance do it all DS. :thumbup:

Whats that bike called again. Its a trail bike but when you flip the switch it becomes hard. Urmmm umm...

Whats that bike called again. Its a trail bike but when you flip the switch it becomes hard. Urmmm umm...

What's the one again where you don't have to flip any switches and it does it for you .... wait it'll come to me .....;)

If you have a hard tail buy a DS but keep the hard tail. Have two bikes and see which one you enjoy most. If you dont have a bike then start with a DS bike if you want an easy life or buy a HT to learn things the hard way and be better for it. BUT SERIOUSLY have two bikes...lol

I Loved my Santa Cruz Carbon Highball HT and didn't want to part with it but eventually did and got a 2014 Scalpel, its the best decision Iv made in 2014. DS all the way its so versatile

What's the one again where you don't have to flip any switches and it does it for you .... wait it'll come to me ..... ;)

roadbike....

no wait wait....a steel mountainbike?

yes that is the one

Edited by rouxtjie