Why are people fighting over wheel size?

2bliss

I would just get a 27.5 one provided the price is right.

That's an option. I could get one for my 26" and fit mine on theirs.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is the problem though. As consumers we are not given the choice. We are "forced" into buying a product.

True, but at the same time not true. Fox has produced 11 new 26" forks for 2015. Almost every tyre manufacturer has a model for every discipline. The problem in SA is the importer who thinks they know what the market needs. If anything, the 26" wheel size will be killed off in this country because of the importer.

Bring on all the excuses; stock, niche, cost etc, the fact is when a car is discontinued, spares are still available for years, not months as in this case..

So, why are fighting amongst ourselves?

Mainly because somewhere someone starts a thread like, for instance, " Why are people fighting about wheel size?" which then draws a lot of debate.

It's about the freedom and joy a bike brings when you hold those grips :)

It's NOT the size that count-but what you DO with it! :whistling:

I really hope they do reconsider. I currenty ride a 26er santa cruz nomad and I will most definately not be able to upgrade to a 650b version. Allthough the bike is amazing, i just cant justify paying that much for a bike, not that i even could if i wanted to. It will really be a sad day if i cant find replacement parts for my bike.

See, you make my point so clear. I also have a heck a lot of money wrapped up in a 2013 26" bike. It was designed by Pat Morewood who is renowned in MTB, just like Santa Cruz who have been crafting bikes for years. I bought it at a time when Giant were between sizes and there were no other options available until now with the 27.5 Reigns.

While some might say I was foolish to buy a 26" bike, I would turn to the manufactures and importers who at the time were still producing and selling this size, they were very happy to take my money. I priced a SC Nomad and the 26" frame was retailing for R24 000. What if I had the money, I might have bought this bike the importer was happy to provide.

In less than a year, the tune now being sung is, "sorry but you are now a niche and will no longer be supported". You can however still by a Cross Mark in black, excellent tyres!

I also point any importer reading this to the second hand market. The trade in 26" bikes is alive and well, the existing bikes didn't just disappear. To say this wheel size is a niche is factually incorrect.

We are not force fed anything....there's enough resources out there for anyone to make a calculated decision on what to ride\buy. The fact that anyone comments on this forum, means you have the resources at the tip of your fingers.

You do not have to buy off the floor if it that specific type of bike does not suit your riding...you can build, like many people do.

Any 1st purchase can be forgiven because you might not yet know what type of riding you enjoy(starting to ride in the 1st place is a winner), but an upgrade...this is where you yourself need to go and figure out what works for you. Not a salesman, not hubbers, yourself...and your wallet!

My bike is called Frankenst9ner...its made up of parts(not standard spec) that i thought would work for my type of riding...and lo and behold....i completely enjoy everything about it.

No one is force fed anything....you can choose what you want to ride...just do some homework...

No one is force fed anything....you can choose what you want to ride...just do some homework...

Amen brother!

See, you make my point so clear. I also have a heck a lot of money wrapped up in a 2013 26" bike. It was designed by Pat Morewood who is renowned in MTB, just like Santa Cruz who have been crafting bikes for years. I bought it at a time when Giant were between sizes and there were no other options available until now with the 27.5 Reigns.

While some might say I was foolish to buy a 26" bike, I would turn to the manufactures and importers who at the time were still producing and selling this size, they were very happy to take my money. I priced a SC Nomad and the 26" frame was retailing for R24 000. What if I had the money, I might have bought this bike the importer was happy to provide.

In less than a year, the tune now being sung is, "sorry but you are now a niche and will no longer be supported". You can however still by a Cross Mark in black, excellent tyres!

I also point any importer reading this to the second hand market. The trade in 26" bikes is alive and well, the existing bikes didn't just disappear. To say this wheel size is a niche is factually incorrect.

I think that our market is so small that importers will always stick to the latest trends and fashions, this skews perceptions in that yesterdays hero is todays zero within no time.I think this fear of 26`r dying out has been largely perpetuated by the marketers and if you look at the USA and European markets 26ers are still very much alive and kicking. Stop stressing about spares and if your bike shop doesnt stock what you want give them your consumer vote and take your business elsewhere, they will soon realise the error of their ways.

It's about the freedom and joy a bike brings when you hold those grips :)

It's NOT the size that count-but what you DO with it! :whistling:

Exactly, if you keep comparing you will be unhappy, just enjoy what you have.

Well I've had a sucky morning with hubbys bike being stolen...even if it was a 26". So I'm having my morning coffee paging old editions of "mountain biker" magazine from ninteenvoetsak ( :whistling: ) where there are lots of pics of pros riding 26' and my bike is featured in full page spreads as"technologically advanced" and "new developments in cycling" I'm already feeling better....sort of

As my last comment for the day, I am getting totally bored with this whole wheel size debate with manufacturers shoving their silly low-tech advances down our throats as if this were some huge evolutionary improvement in cycling , it`s not, get on with designing a new drivetrain( and i dont mean shoving a little servo motor on old tech transmission), Give us a new light,clean,efficient and low maintenance, sealed gear system which does not affect the unsprung weight and then you will get my money, in short, don`t try to repackage a fork with 1mm added to the prongs and try to sell it to me as the latest advance in culinary equipment.

As it's been said. Just importers keeping up with trends. The 26" market out in the world is still pretty big and is not going anywhere. Most riders would agree that no bike can whip like a 26"... But that market is tiny SA as we lack bike parks providing us with the opportunity to whip it like we want...

So it ain't going anywhere, the market just isn't in SA

(Just affirming what many people have said)

Its also about 'Fashion' as well, and keeping in fashion, but there certainly are merits to larger wheels, never mind the marketeers and public taste manipulators.

I never went 29er myself, mainly because I am a cheapskate and build my own bikes from used frames. I have a couple of 650b converted 26ers and loving them. The Prophet is next in line for a conversion (anyone need some good condition ZTR Flow 26" rims?)

If I was to take a relatively educated guess I would say there are many times the amount of 26" bikes out compared to 27.5" and 29"

It doesnt make sense that the importers would drop support for them so early. I know they are doing it but it makes no sense!!

Are people supposed to just give up on their 3 year old bikes because its becoming increasingly difficult and expensive to get parts for them?!?!