Brandon Stewart

Mousea

Hi Guys

Probably opening myself up to alot of abuse here, The worst thing to do is talk on this form but felt i owed the public something

. But long story short, I did take a banned substance, at the same time tried to work with SAIDS to get a TUE. The process took 6 months from start of application to final decision. Quite long to wait when rider contracts are only a year long.

Just to clear up you can apply for Testosterone TUE and race whilst using it. WADA explains the lot. But WADA, USADA and SAIDS are all kind of their own governing bodies and each have different criteria for certain rules and compliance's ect.

I got telephonic approval to go ahead with the treatment because I was told it was a long process and SAIDS could not refuse an athlete medical treatment if prescribed by a doctor. So I went ahead with the treatment it a testosterone Undeconate where you are positive for 6 months( we are tested every 2 weeks) all doping control tests were coming back negative and I was declaring the use of the substance at all times. It was a treatment plan for 6 months not to just carry on using it for the rest of my career.

When I made mention that I had taken the substance long before my positive test, no one said you are doing the wrong thing or you must stop racing. It actually came out in the hearing that when I sent that mail, THE CEO of SAIDS told the TUE administrator to ignore me...... Very strange... I Stopped the use of the substance on the 7th April and tested positive in July.

I had never had to deal with SAIDS with something like this before but believe it or not never really had any reason. So when I did have a reason it was new to me. I have been racing for years and should have known better or done more homework but I simply trusted SAIDS... (negligence on my part)

Through all of this people will say bla bla heard it all before and I dont think for one second that I should have got away scott free... I did deserve a sanction. But you get caught doping with EPO and get two years, Some guys get caught in a racing doping with testosterone and get 18 months.

Not for one second during the process did a think I could get away with using testosterone hence trying to do what I thought was right... If I was caught cheating I would have taken it on the chin and said sorry... But have spent the last 10 months of my life in hell trying to fight this thing.... I promise I wouldn't wish this situation which I to a certain extent put myself in, but none the less its been terrible.

I have a family, 2 kids and owned a team so I though i was doing the right thing.... Its been a huge muddle and hurt a lot of people. We have lost our whole team and sponsors, the sponsors supported me in the beginning because I had told them about my treatment before I did it and my whole family including extended family. Unfortunately cycling has that "image" and is in the spot light...Then Daryl's positive came out and then the sponsors said sorry cycling not for us to much admin. Bad image and maladministration. FedGroup even offered SAIDS funding to help speed up there TUE process and they didnt even respond??? TUE process is not simple its blood tests doctors reports GP and Endocrinologists.

My testo levels in Sep 2012 were 9 and then in Feb 2013 they were 10..... with Normal being between 12-18 and now after all the rigmarole I have been through you have to be below 8 to warrant treatment.. But can also receive treatment if symptomatic ( how we determine that is really hard) I was treated more for symptomatic as those where the symptoms I was displaying) on the 7th May 2013 I sent through more blood tests to show that my Testo levels were up to normal levels at 15.5. So was still within the range.....

So with all this said I would have to start from scratch again with a team and sponsors and even if I got a 12 month suspension would have thought it was fair,..... But to be labelled a cheat is hard and it was certainly not my intention. For those who talk about their kids... I also deal with my kids friends at school saying oh your dad got banned for drugs.... its tough but my doing so have to try and sit down and explain to my kids what happened. So those guys who say you have kids that look up to us riders or whatever I understand the disappointment....

I am saddened by this whole ordeal and will appeal at another hearing and if not favorable towards in in the terms of getting a reduction in sentence then I will take the case to CAS in Switzerland.

Sorry to those who feel I am a cheat and have disappointed I am sorry. To those who kind of understand and support me I thank you.

I am also not going to sit for days trying to defend myself against every persons judgement against me here on the form... And not looking for a sympathy card either... Just trying to say something from my point of view..

Cheers for now

Brandon

You are brave to post on the hub Brandon, but good luck with your appeals.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People will keep on doubting pro-riders, with good reason. Your statement gave us valuable insight, but there is still a major sense of either negligence or ignorance why you didn't make double/triple sure that your TUE was approved.

I'm sure you will get a lighter sentence, but I still feel uncomfortable about 'controversial' pro's in the peleton.

Anyway, good luck with the appeal.

EDIT: spelling

Edited by JanJan

A triple mongolian cluster fark in my opinion.

Can't wait to hear what Khalid has to say on supercycling...

Sounds like a typical sporting body versus athlete disconnect.

indeed.. one would think when it comes to especially testosterone even the bloody receptionist at SAIDS would know. hey dude no hang on.. that's a big no no.. your level needs yo he at least 8 or lower.

Seems SAIDS doesn't know ass from elbow. Also adding..because SAIDS is such a gemors and this is well known.. maybe he shouldn't have left mattera in their hands at all and rather had done homework first. . Sadly all ifs and buts now.

Ag I am sommer just depro like I was when this all broke months ago.

Edited by Gen

It is much more news-worthy to have a cyclist who is doing well internationally, even for the local hardware store. Imagine getting onto a podium in France with world-wide TV coverage, a rider thanking his moms and pops hardware store sponsor followed up by a good write-up in national and local papers and a nice mention for Oom Jan en Tannie San se Hardeware.

Sure beats a 2 minute slot on a local Cycling magazine show once in a blue moon.

Not sure the guys in France where the athlete raced is going to all of a suden order nails from my hardware....

Brave post there, brandonmtb!

Sharing your account of events and being transparent.

It's mostly a cynical and mistrusting fanfare out there.

Who to believe?

What to believe?

It all seems a mess as you portray it.

Sterkte.

Hi Guys

Probably opening myself up to alot of abuse here, The worst thing to do is talk on this form but felt i owed the public something

. But long story short, I did take a banned substance, at the same time tried to work with SAIDS to get a TUE. The process took 6 months from start of application to final decision. Quite long to wait when rider contracts are only a year long.

Just to clear up you can apply for Testosterone TUE and race whilst using it. WADA explains the lot. But WADA, USADA and SAIDS are all kind of their own governing bodies and each have different criteria for certain rules and compliance's ect.

I got telephonic approval to go ahead with the treatment because I was told it was a long process and SAIDS could not refuse an athlete medical treatment if prescribed by a doctor. So I went ahead with the treatment it a testosterone Undeconate where you are positive for 6 months( we are tested every 2 weeks) all doping control tests were coming back negative and I was declaring the use of the substance at all times. It was a treatment plan for 6 months not to just carry on using it for the rest of my career.

When I made mention that I had taken the substance long before my positive test, no one said you are doing the wrong thing or you must stop racing. It actually came out in the hearing that when I sent that mail, THE CEO of SAIDS told the TUE administrator to ignore me...... Very strange... I Stopped the use of the substance on the 7th April and tested positive in July.

I had never had to deal with SAIDS with something like this before but believe it or not never really had any reason. So when I did have a reason it was new to me. I have been racing for years and should have known better or done more homework but I simply trusted SAIDS... (negligence on my part)

Through all of this people will say bla bla heard it all before and I dont think for one second that I should have got away scott free... I did deserve a sanction. But you get caught doping with EPO and get two years, Some guys get caught in a racing doping with testosterone and get 18 months.

Not for one second during the process did a think I could get away with using testosterone hence trying to do what I thought was right... If I was caught cheating I would have taken it on the chin and said sorry... But have spent the last 10 months of my life in hell trying to fight this thing.... I promise I wouldn't wish this situation which I to a certain extent put myself in, but none the less its been terrible.

I have a family, 2 kids and owned a team so I though i was doing the right thing.... Its been a huge muddle and hurt a lot of people. We have lost our whole team and sponsors, the sponsors supported me in the beginning because I had told them about my treatment before I did it and my whole family including extended family. Unfortunately cycling has that "image" and is in the spot light...Then Daryl's positive came out and then the sponsors said sorry cycling not for us to much admin. Bad image and maladministration. FedGroup even offered SAIDS funding to help speed up there TUE process and they didnt even respond??? TUE process is not simple its blood tests doctors reports GP and Endocrinologists.

My testo levels in Sep 2012 were 9 and then in Feb 2013 they were 10..... with Normal being between 12-18 and now after all the rigmarole I have been through you have to be below 8 to warrant treatment.. But can also receive treatment if symptomatic ( how we determine that is really hard) I was treated more for symptomatic as those where the symptoms I was displaying) on the 7th May 2013 I sent through more blood tests to show that my Testo levels were up to normal levels at 15.5. So was still within the range.....

So with all this said I would have to start from scratch again with a team and sponsors and even if I got a 12 month suspension would have thought it was fair,..... But to be labelled a cheat is hard and it was certainly not my intention. For those who talk about their kids... I also deal with my kids friends at school saying oh your dad got banned for drugs.... its tough but my doing so have to try and sit down and explain to my kids what happened. So those guys who say you have kids that look up to us riders or whatever I understand the disappointment....

I am saddened by this whole ordeal and will appeal at another hearing and if not favorable towards in in the terms of getting a reduction in sentence then I will take the case to CAS in Switzerland.

Sorry to those who feel I am a cheat and have disappointed I am sorry. To those who kind of understand and support me I thank you.

I am also not going to sit for days trying to defend myself against every persons judgement against me here on the form... And not looking for a sympathy card either... Just trying to say something from my point of view..

Cheers for now

Brandon

Wow, it must be tough being the victim and totally innocent. I would have a lot of respect for you if you came out and were honest cause you know what you have typed is not the truth. Although, some of it is, but majority not.

Respect is earned, not given.

Not sure the guys in France where the athlete raced is going to all of a suden order nails from my hardware....

No, but he'll get more of a mention in the local press if he performs well overseas.

Wow, it must be tough being the victim and totally innocent. I would have a lot of respect for you if you came out and were honest cause you know what you have typed is not the truth. Although, some of it is, but majority not.

Respect is earned, not given.

So tell us your version please

Hi Guys

Cheers for now

Brandon

Thanks for your account of things. I only have 1 question: with chronically low testosterone would it not have been prudent to stop using alcohol in this period? You may have avoided the whole TUE issue with a small lifestyle adjustment.

Thanks for your account of things. I only have 1 question: with chronically low testosterone would it not have been prudent to stop using alcohol in this period? You may have avoided the whole TUE issue with a small lifestyle adjustment.

Shame man how can we expect anyone to cut out beer

I just did what most patients do: I Googled testosterone TUE. Results 1 and 3 are USADA guidelines!! It clearly states that functional low testosterone will NOT be granted a TUE. It also lists a few serious conditions that could get a TUE. I would be surprised if you could cycle at a high level with any of them. Right so there are always grey areas but from 30s of Googling I know that is very unlikely to be sanctioned. Should I go race as an Elite on Saturday? Hell yes, the nice lady said it was OK....!

Explain the dop thing .