This is why cyclist are hated

Cois

Whilst you make a good point on the validity of the laws, the simple fact is that the majority of them are being broken by both cyclists AND MOTORISTS. The difference between who breaks them however has a very skew consequence. When cyclists break them, motorists are inconvenienced. When motorists break them EVEN when cyclists are obeying them, cyclists die, however obediant or correct their actions were. I can understand why a group of cyclists such as this cycle store, that have buried family members and close friends, would go to this extent to protect their passion and livelihood.

Not disagreeing with those sentiments, however in these times it is not the wise thing to do as the more irate motorists become the more they endanger our lives with less regard for the consequence.

I am trying to get people to look at both sides and understand that for every action there is reaction.

If they can do it - I can do it. So the first group of cyclists is ok and the driver is patient, the second in a short space/trip, well a little agitated and from then on good luck to the rest of us. Is that the right thing to do?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The section on convoys from the NATIONAL ROAD TRAFFIC ACT 93 OF 1996 with all the up to date amendments:

The act is very clear on which part of it applies to "motor vehicles", "pedal cycles" and all "vehicles". As you can see, this section only applies to motor vehicles.

From the definitions:

So 1 motor vehicle, and 100 bicycles operated in a group does, by the acts definition, not make a convoy of motor vehicles.

So tempted to go to a motorcycling forum and post this on their breakfast ride tread :ph34r: :whistling:

So tempted to go to a motorcycling forum and post this on their breakfast ride tread :ph34r: :whistling:

But that will be the last place I want to troll. :eek:

In the 10 years I have had my license I have probably waited behind a slow cyclist for a maximum of 20min IF not less. But people don't recognize that the time they spend behind a slower moving object is really not something to get upset about. Everyone is so caught up in the moment.

My boss sometimes talks about the cyclist doing this and doing that, and I think he mostly does it to irritate me and I just say "ja" but the other day I started talking to him and I tried to explain to him why we ride the way we do and one thing is for sure. I cannot get a non cyclist to understand why we ride the way we do and that is why it is so dangerous for cyclists on the road. It's like explaining basic politics to Malema.

The real bikers that you need to worry about aren't on forums. The ones on forums are mostly doctors and CAs ;)

The doctors are the dangerous ones. You make them angry someone on the operating table might just die :eek:

Sorry, TheV, but you are not right bud.

These guys are not exactly being sensible.

A lot of crazy comments being made which i dont agree with but the guys in the pics here could have done better.

A cyclist myself i would have been pissed off with this behavior.

This is just crazy ! Looks like they are riding three abreast.

It's not on, and its bad manners to general rode users.

They are riding like idiots.

There was a recent incident where a cyclist in Pretoria got killed by a bakkie overtaking on the left, over the yellow line. If that guy had a car following him, he might still be alive today.

The roads are a dangerous place for cyclists, and you as a fellow cyclist should know this. Just relax, wait till it's safe and overtake.

Dude, this might be a bit out of the blue, but youre the first person according to me that knows about that terrible accident! I was there when they pulled the blanket over him! F*cking terrible! Dude i go past there everyday and theres nothing, you would not even know that a 27 year old engineer was killed there... Nothing in the papers, just another dead cyclist.. People should know that a cyclist was killed there, even if they just put their celphones down for a moment, it would help! #raise awareness

Your my friend, you are simply an Idiot.

Because just exactly like I predicted, in almost the first response after your initial post you refer to the guy behind you as a "black" guy.

Who cares what colour he was, obviously it matters to you?

You also think that you/or someone else has the right to "kill" another. And that such actions could be justified.

"hate" ... "kill"

Erm "V" , you come across as a bit of a panzy with all this treehugging, human rights political bull****.. You also come across as bit of a d**s, but then again, so does the guy who made the post.. This guy talks alot of ****, but he is also right about some of the things, and we(cyclists) are in a very bad light with the public because of things like this, our roads are not designed for cyclist, so when youre on it, try and be discrete and try not to be a arrogant bastard and act like you own the road! Just a tip for u, when u decide to get into an argument with an idiot like this guy again, remember this : meng saam met die semels en die varke sal jou opvreet...

Sorry, TheV, but you are not right bud.

These guys are not exactly being sensible.

A lot of crazy comments being made which i dont agree with but the guys in the pics here could have done better.

A cyclist myself i would have been pissed off with this behavior.

This is just crazy ! Looks like they are riding three abreast.

It's not on, and its bad manners to general rode users.

They are riding like idiots.

In any country in Europe you find cars are very aware of cyclist using the roads, especially on weekends, and more so on sundays.

In any case, anyone ranting on about people deserving to die when they break the law is just so ridiculously stupid, you must have a real small pnus if that's your answer to an argument.

Lastly, if you think for one second that all drivers stick to the letter of the law when it comes to speeds, yielding, indicating, not using their phone when they are driving or not driving if they are over the "legal" limit... Those who live in glass houses....

In any case, common courtesy and a little bit of respect and tolerance goes a long way...

I still don't think in this specific case the riders caused any danger to anyone else, so who cares if some tosser had to impress his fiance by throwing a bit of a tantrum just because he felt a little entitled to do so....or maybe because that's the way his mommy or daddy taught him to behave...

Edited by TheV

In any country in Europe you find cars are very aware of cyclist using the roads, especially on weekends, and more so on sundays. True, but what is your point? 0/10 for relevance

In any case, anyone ranting on about people deserving to die when they break the law is just so ridiculously stupid AGREED, you must have a real small pnus if that's your answer to an argument. NO need to be trolling - makes you look like a d_0_0_s

Lastly, if you think for one second that all drivers stick to the letter of the law when it comes to speeds, yielding, indicating, not using their phone when they are driving or not driving if they are over the "legal" limit... Those who live in glass houses..Again 0/10 for relevance. Are you one of these people who has to be RIGHT all of the time. You really do not seem to get the pointlessness of having been 100% right or within your rights to ride on the road, but lying dead on the tar. Physics is simple, and bikes loose - deal with it. Being right does not save your skin

In any case, common courtesy and a little bit of respect and tolerance goes a long way...AGREE 100%, AND 10/10 - WELL DONE

I still don't think in this specific case the riders caused any danger to anyone else You truly fail to see how they are causing danger to THEMSELVES. This type of riding makes drivers blood boil, and they do stupid things as a result. Are they wrong to do this? ABSOLUTELY!! Are they sorry when their rage causes someone to get hurt? Probably! Does it stop someone getting hurt? Sadly, NO!!! so who cares if some tosser had to impress his fiance by throwing a bit of a tantrum just because he felt a little entitled to do so....or maybe because that's the way his mommy or daddy taught him to behave. This last part was not necessary - you're just trying to wind up to OP - why bother?

Edited by Pabloesque

Dude, this might be a bit out of the blue, but youre the first person according to me that knows about that terrible accident! I was there when they pulled the blanket over him! F*cking terrible! Dude i go past there everyday and theres nothing, you would not even know that a 27 year old engineer was killed there... Nothing in the papers, just another dead cyclist.. People should know that a cyclist was killed there, even if they just put their celphones down for a moment, it would help! #raise awareness

Two words: ghost bike.

After the Burry tragedy the ghost bike seems to mean something to the general population. Put one up and hopefully it will make some people take notice. A stark reminder of a rider no more....

Mods perhaps time to close this one . All the posters seem to be digging themselves deeper , nowhere do I see any appreciation for an oppsite to theirs growing so what is the point .?