Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

Yeah man Muizenburg main rd is a mess with lots of road works and chopped up lanes currently and no chance it will be ready in 2 weeks time so the groups will be tight going thru there.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah man Muizenburg main rd is a mess with lots of road works and chopped up lanes currently and no chance it will be ready in 2 weeks time so the groups will be tight going thru there.

I am 100% sure the roads will be done. Like they did with Chappies last year, they will put a layer of tar on for the day and remove it the next day.

Either was be at the front of the bunch!

Those that are wanting to get tracking, for DC we used fin my friends on iPhone, the support vehicle could see all 12 okes and check no one punctured etc. Just remember cell signal is a nightmare on the day.

Dont forget the sand at the circle as you enter Suikerbossie. Was quite thick yesterday. :eek:

BIG UPS TO THE COKE VAN HANDING OUT POWERADE AND MUFFINS IN HOUTBAY YESTERDAY MORNING. GOOD PR INDEED. :clap:  :clap:

Dont forget the sand at the circle as you enter Suikerbossie. Was quite thick yesterday. :eek:

It is normally swept before Argus day. I hope they sweep the stretch from Ocean View to Sun Valley to get most of the glass out of the way. That whole stretch is way to full of sparkle for my liking.

Thats not a bad thing, I always think the Argus needs a good climb earlier in the race to break up the groups before the fast sections along the Blue Route and such.

erm... how about the first hill?

LOL. And Edinburgh... Those that klap it (boet) along Edinburgh are generally those who fall off the back at Smits. 

PLEASE, PLEASE WALK ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE HILLS. PLEASE. :devil:  :cursing:  :whistling:  :eek:

Was actually going to ask, are there listed rules somewhere re passing/etiquette?

Going up suikerbossie yesterday and people were riding many abreast making it very difficult to pass without moving into the left lane of the road. And when I said (very nicely and friendly) "passing right" to try get some space I got grunts and "so pass" and just general unfriendlyless.. 

So I assume keep left pass right? Walkers far right?

When I said passing right almost everyone acknowledged me passing by. I guess the odd one or two might of been out of breath to say anything. :whistling:    

If all you have left is to get off and walk, you have no rights! Clear? Just kidding! Pull over and walk on the FAR LEFT!

Back in those days we still had the unconventional category where Loyd Wright and Wimpie van der Merwe used to dominated and I remember 92(my 2nd argus) when we came down the hill into fish hoek they where both on the side walk removing the sides of their bikes in order to just carry on as they couldn't stay upright otherwise.

Flip now we going back to the good old days.

YA I remember that. I think I finished in the top 10 or 20 of "B" groups that year and in top 230ish with a time of 3h01. Winning time was 2.47 or something. the whole race was a struggle to stay upright and a tandem or recumbent was definitely not the place to be, nor behind one

I don't mind a bit of wind, sorta evens the playing field for me, my classic racer runs out of gears at 45-50KM/H so when the pace starts picking up I am spinning and hangning on for dear life till the next hill where I can rest..... :whistling:

Best ride was 2003 on my MTB with slicks, Cycle computer died going through Newlands on the M3 so just listened to my body and paced myself accordingly, mananged 3:44, that was the old Ou Kaapse Route.

Was actually thinking of removing it again this year not too get too caught up in the timing and just to ride and enjoy, without knowing possibly beating my best time.

Was actually going to ask, are there listed rules somewhere re passing/etiquette?

Going up suikerbossie yesterday and people were riding many abreast making it very difficult to pass without moving into the left lane of the road. And when I said (very nicely and friendly) "passing right" to try get some space I got grunts and "so pass" and just general unfriendlyless.. 

So I assume keep left pass right? Walkers far right?

This time of the year you get a lot of people that don't really cycle throughout the year OR they're doing their first Argus. They therefore are unaware of the "way things work" They generally ride 2 or 3 abreast and often weave into the road as well - particularly on ascents. Sometimes with little awareness of how far right they are as well.

When I said passing right almost everyone acknowledged me passing by. I guess the odd one or two might of been out of breath to say anything. :whistling:    

I have no problem with people yelling passing right, I do have an issue when riders do not announce themselves and especially when they pass you on the left where there is very little space.

This time of the year you get a lot of people that don't really cycle throughout the year OR they're doing their first Argus. They therefore are unaware of the "way things work" They generally ride 2 or 3 abreast and often weave into the road as well - particularly on ascents. Sometimes with little awareness of how far right they are as well.

very very true. those would be the bucket listers and decided around a braai types

Archived