Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

forecatst are now predicting around 22°, seems perfect, not too hot
some website still give a chance of rain in the morning 

Edit: some beat me to it

nooo, it's not going to rain! just believe in it! 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chappies and Llandusno

The sudden gusts are insane, like God's hand grabbing he front wheel

That's how it feels. And you don't quite know whether it is going to be a grab from the left or the right either. 

That's how it feels. And you don't quite know whether it is going to be a grab from the left or the right either. 

Or both sides at once. One at the front, one at the back.

But - once you've commuted in the Main Road gauntlet of wind-based hell on earth, a 60km breeze is childsplay. 

Chappies and Llandusno

The sudden gusts are insane, like God's hand grabbing he front wheel

Hahaha. I might be forced to do deep sections but come Chappies I should have a fair amount of road to myself. Just let the bike do its twists under me I suppose.

Hahaha. I might be forced to do deep sections but come Chappies I should have a fair amount of road to myself. Just let the bike do its twists under me I suppose.

You do NOT want deep sections if it's pumping around chappies / Llandudno. The wind doesn't blow straight, so you can't lean into it. It's all over the place. Swirling gusting etc. 

Nevermind Chappies. The run in from Llandudno to Twelve Apostles is the worst when the SE is pumping. It is all over the place, swirling and gusting, as anyone who rode the 2009 Argus can attest to.

Better keep your wits about you on that stretch.

Nevermind Chappies. The run in from Llandudno to Twelve Apostles is the worst when the SE is pumping. It is all over the placing, swirling and gusting, as anyone who rode the 2009 Argus can attest to.

Better keep your wits about you on that stretch.

Later in that afternoon in 2009, the wind was so bad at the Oudekraal corner, that a marshal made the riders stop and walk about a 100 metres before cycling further. 

You do NOT want deep sections if it's pumping around chappies / Llandudno. The wind doesn't blow straight, so you can't lean into it. It's all over the place. Swirling gusting etc. 

With my one bike out of commission (hanger lost in our wonderful Post Office mess, wheels not interchangeable) I have no option but to ride deep sections. It gets interesting in a cross wind.

With my one bike out of commission (hanger lost in our wonderful Post Office mess, wheels not interchangeable) I have no option but to ride deep sections. It gets interesting in a cross wind.

I know that post office feeling. 2 years ago ordered a new 56t chain ring for the tandem and it only arrived a week after the race(placed order with CRC in Jan, Lesson learnt and I only use courier now). Had ride with the 54t.

Well I hope your stuff arrives asap.

If you're a dikgat and over 80 kgs, you stand a better chance at those gusts.

Just lean into your drops and clinch your top tube with your muscular Boonen quads.

Hehehehe

If you're a dikgat and over 80 kgs, you stand a better chance at those gusts.

Just lean into your drops and clinch your top tube with your muscular Boonen quads.

Hehehehe

:oops: 85.5kg`s :devil:  :clap:  :w00t:  :whistling:

your muscular Boonen quads.

Tommeke! We love him over here :-) 

(last year, I was on the plane with the whole Quickstep and Skynet team :-) they were on their way to Qatar, we had a stopover there on our way to Thailand) 

dikwiel = thick wheel

pappie = a little porridge  :whistling:

Okay, it's Friday, give me some room for fun. It means he's going to take the MTB (with it's broader wheels). Pappie is also a word for daddy, just a local slang saying-thing... much like "Bru".

Archived