Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

Wow,it'it's been busy here! I made it safe to Cape Town but It's sad news about the fires! Not just for the tour, we are probably missing it as a scenic drive too

How does Ou Kaapse weg compare to chappies in terms of difficulty?

Hope you had a good flight.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow,it'it's been busy here! I made it safe to Cape Town but It's sad news about the fires! Not just for the tour, we are probably missing it as a scenic drive too

How does Ou Kaapse weg compare to chappies in terms of difficulty?

Hi Belgian bike, welcome to Cape Town. Dont worry the drives will be just as scenic! Head to Cape Point along the coast for a beutiful drive.

Ou Kaapse is quite a bit longer and steeper than Chapmans Peak.

Below is a profile for a ride, Ou Kaapse - Chappies - turn at the road works on the Hout Bay side - Chappies - Ou Kaapse up to top of Silvermine parking lot (wont be in argus route)

post-41053-0-91451300-1425382238_thumb.jpg

just a qu, IF, and repeat, IF its not a major part of chappies tarmac that has been damaged, because its not on the steepest descent, Could they not perhaps put mats across the damaged part of the road... Just a qu??

Depending on how those mats are secured (which they normally aren't) it can become "crash traps". I've gone over some of them and it is really scary. In the recent Dubai Tour they used it and it caused a crash in the breakaway. I think 2 of them went down. Needless to say, word got out and it was removed before the peloton got there.

Depending on how those mats are secured (which they normally aren't) it can become "crash traps". I've gone over some of them and it is really scary. In the recent Dubai Tour they used it and it caused a crash in the breakaway. I think 2 of them went down. Needless to say, word got out and it was removed before the peloton got there.

Will take then +-3hours to repair damaged roads, that wont be a problem. Will just be premix damage , layer works should still be fine.

lol, the mystery, anyone know what the alternate route is going to be?

Most likely the same a s few years back... Same route out of Town but on the way back, instead of going left to Chappies we go straight over Ou Kaaps and then take the M3 all the way back to Town...

Nope. Route change and I'm out. I love the primary route, and I hate ou kaaps

Come on, do it. You will have war stories to tell in your later years.

So on Cape Talk they say that the alternative route will be taken and it will be made official tomorrow. ...

thought this would happen. the smoke is to much for everyone.

and to be honest, I dont know if I would be able to enjoy the ride knowing guys are putting their lives at risk while I am riding.

I said that I need to do The Argus once for the experience, now (and if it is) that the route will not be the normal one I will have to do it again next year...

Come on, do it. You will have war stories to tell in your later years.

nought, bro - far too unfit for that route and the scenery it'll bring. Plus as Terry says - doubt I could enjoy it given the devastation

Most likely the same a s few years back... Same route out of Town but on the way back, instead of going left to Chappies we go straight over Ou Kaaps and then take the M3 all the way back to Town...

If so, how would it affect the finish?

Archived