Legs resistance training

26er

Hi

Do any of you have advice on this

If I do legs at the gym,I can't cycle for 3 days

Does one need resistance?If so..how much or often?

Thanks

I've seen PROs do it

Slow and long efforts on that bench machine

I've also read research that the benefits are questionable and that slow heavy cadence (< 50 rpm or so) training up gentle gradients have proven to be more beneficial.

In the book training and racing with a power meter by coggan and allen they are critical of this type of training. If i remember correctly they argue, with evidence, that strength is not the inhibiting factor in cycling. I suggest reading what they have to say before investing too heavily in that type of training (including the very low cad work referred to above)

Squats, lunges, burpees, step-ups, mountain climbers. All body weight only, with high repititions will definitely help.

It may be true what others have said that weight training may not be specifically beneficial for cycling (I honestly could not provide scientific proof either way), but you need to do weight bearing excercise.

Trust me, your knees will thank you, especially when you head north of 40!

In the book training and racing with a power meter by coggan and allen they are critical of this type of training. If i remember correctly they argue, with evidence, that strength is not the inhibiting factor in cycling. I suggest reading what they have to say before investing too heavily in that type of training (including the very low cad work referred to above)

Yip, that's where I read some of my earlier input.

I have heard squats are good.

Plyometrics are also good - explosive stuff.

Rope skipping, jumps onto that box thing at gym, circuit step routine, etc.

This is an interesting read, and bit more of a balanced perspective some of the polarising views expressed in this thread. I'm sure some coach or other said this or that about weight training to build leg strength, but none of the context is provided in some of the above posts, essentially negating the value of the post IMO.

The author of the perspective provided in the link makes it very clear he is not providing a panacea, but it is very interesting and food for thought. I hope it helps the OP.

Plyometrics are also good - explosive stuff.

Rope skipping, jumps onto that box thing at gym, circuit step routine, etc.

+1

Hi I've done both and like you say it takes about 3 days to recover. I found that squats definitely helped despite what all the literature says. I normally did my leg training on a Monday in order for me to recover by the weekend

Hi I've done both and like you say it takes about 3 days to recover. I found that squats definitely helped despite what all the literature says. I normally did my leg training on a Monday in order for me to recover by the weekend

I am also trying to figure something like this out.. but seem to enjoy the time on the bike more than in the Gym lately, I recon Monday will probably be the best ..all the show horses are doing upper body and all the people who had to big of a Weekend are doing cardio then..so it leaves all the leg equipment open... and yes enough time to recover in the office ..Will do it say every second week.. Thanks!