FOX VS. ROCK SHOCK...

BaGearA

very simple:Rock shoc reba rl or fox float 32 (both 100mm and Thru-axle)

which is best and which one would ou buy(and why...details please!!)

went from rockshox to fox and must say rockshox don't need as much tlc as fox- so to answer your question rockshox pike.

i don't know why everything is underlined?

Edited by eye i

went from rockshox to fox and must say rockshox don't need as much tlc as fox- so to answer your question rockshox pike.

i don't know why everything is underlined?

underlined because its important..haha

RS easier/cheaper to maintain and more robust, from what I have experienced the RS forks share more parts over their range so spares are cheaper and easier to come by. I'd say if you service yourself RS, if you pay the lbs to service then which ever one suits your needs closest.

cheaper to maintain

Why do you say this? Fork oil, o-rings, seals, wipers, service interval - which is cheaper?

Rock Shox kits are slightly cheaper than Fox and they use less oil but the big advantage is that abused Rock Shox forks do not wear the stanchions like an abused Fox does. Fox stanchions start at around R2800-00. I've never had to buy a Rock Shox one although If you really neglect them they will damage.

very simple:Rock shoc reba rl or fox float 32 (both 100mm and Thru-axle)

which is best and which one would ou buy(and why...details please!!)

Which exact model? If the Fox one says Evolution CTD on it, stay far away. If it's a FIT or an open bath RL, it's a great fork and way more plush that the Reba but will cost you more to maintain - the FIT cartridge in particular is a fiddly thing, and Fox dust wipers are pricey. The open bath fork is possibly the easiest fork in the world to service yourself though if you're that way inclined.

The Reba is bombproof, but not quite as refined - although in the short travel sector you won't notice the better compression damping of the Fox quite as much as you would on 140mm and longer forks. Also, if you're a bit technical and have a few tools you can service it at home.

As for stanchion wear, everyone else has it covered there, aside from this largely ignored little chestnut:

Stick to the service intervals and you'll never have a problem.

Edited by droo

• 2 weeks later...

@Droo,  I'm with you on the "lower" end Fox Evolution CTD forks, but how does a Fox F29 FiT (CTD, trail adjust, Kashima, etc) compare to the "higher" end Rock Shox (SiD XX) forks?

Which are the better fork on the high end range?

Which exact model? If the Fox one says Evolution CTD on it, stay far away. If it's a FIT or an open bath RL, it's a great fork and way more plush that the Reba but will cost you more to maintain - the FIT cartridge in particular is a fiddly thing, and Fox dust wipers are pricey. The open bath fork is possibly the easiest fork in the world to service yourself though if you're that way inclined.

The Reba is bombproof, but not quite as refined - although in the short travel sector you won't notice the better compression damping of the Fox quite as much as you would on 140mm and longer forks. Also, if you're a bit technical and have a few tools you can service it at home.

As for stanchion wear, everyone else has it covered there, aside from this largely ignored little chestnut:

Stick to the service intervals and you'll never have a problem.

How "bad" is the Fox Evolution CTD?

Edited by Pusher

In my experience:

Rockshox - great fork, you install it, dial in the settings printed on the fork legs and off you go. Handles well and does its job. Easy to maintain.

FOX - Awesome fork, takes your riding to the next level. Setting up takes much longer as you find yourself making small adjustments you wouldn't make with the rockshox. Awesome feedback and handling when you have the settings right. If you haven't got the setup quite right you can feel it and your ride just isn't as much fun or as fast. Maintenance is a little more frequent and can be tricky.