GWM 2007 2.2 PETROL DOUBLE CAB

NOAH1

Good Day

I am currently looking for a double cab bakkie and can get a 2007 2.2 petrol GWM for R 55 000.00 with 49 000km on the clock with service history and a canopy,

Just wanted to know your opinion and if you think it is a good bakkie for the price. The Fords, Isuzus are all in the R100 000's with allot of millage on.

Thanks

No.

For that amount of money, and those KM, you have to ask yourself why...

In 2007 the quality coming out of GWM wasn't nearly as good as it is now. They were still in their infancy as far as the export market goes, and even though they were using the reliable customer engines from the likes of Nissan, Toyota and so on, the build quality was v bad.

As for the Isuzus, Toyotas, Mitsis and Nissans, they all have that sort of value for a reason - they're flippin strong, well built and will survive being at the top of an imploding building (just ask the Top Gear guys about their old Hilux)

No.

For that amount of money, and those KM, you have to ask yourself why...

In 2007 the quality coming out of GWM wasn't nearly as good as it is now. They were still in their infancy as far as the export market goes, and even though they were using the reliable customer engines from the likes of Nissan, Toyota and so on, the build quality was v bad.

As for the Isuzus, Toyotas, Mitsis and Nissans, they all have that sort of value for a reason - they're flippin strong, well built and will survive being at the top of an imploding building (just ask the Top Gear guys about their old Hilux)

what he said.

I had a Meiya DC 2.2 (same thing different badge)

1. front suspension (everything) had to be replace at 70 000km

2. exhaust had to be replaced at 20 000

3. heater unit rusted and leaked into the cab

4. window seals failed and window fell out

5. load body started rusting after 6 months

6. 8km/l on the open road if I was lucky (@100kph)

With all the issues I had, it was always a hassle to get parts and they were damn expensive. I was lucky to get rid of it

So IMHO, rather get a known reliable brand

Oh - and another bit of advice. For a Double Cab, don't get anything unless it's got at least a 2.5 or 3 litre engine (especially if petrol)

Why? Well consider that they're pushing 2 tonnes. The 2.2's and 2.4's are severely underpowered for the size of car they're powering, and you'll often have worse fuel consumption than the big old v6's in the 3 to 4 litre range as a result.

Oh - and another bit of advice. For a Double Cab, don't get anything unless it's got at least a 2.5 or 3 litre engine (especially if petrol)

Why? Well consider that they're pushing 2 tonnes. The 2.2's and 2.4's are severely underpowered for the size of car they're powering, and you'll often have worse fuel consumption than the big old v6's in the 3 to 4 litre range as a result.

True that, my parents used to have a 2.4 petrol Isuzu double cab. That thing was thirsty. 6km/l in town, the best was 9km/l on the open road. Your maintenance costs are less on petrol though.

The chinese bakkies might be the same as older Japanese bakkies, but they do not have the same build quality. an example, a GWM diesel engine is based on the isuzu engine, but they leave out the oil sprayer on the underside of the pistons. They use inferior quality pistons, and because of the lack of oil to help with temp regulation, some of the pistons crack. You don't want that.

Besides what everyone else has said, consider this: Is your life really worth the only 50 or 100k saving? If someone can't even properly treat body parts to prevent rust, you can be pretty sure they don't give a @#$ about safety beyond the absolute minimum guidelines enforced upon them.

Not worth it.

China is in the consumerism market, they are designed to be replaced much sooner than the other established brands.

yeah, although that's changing RAPIDLY. Compare the GWM Hover of now to the GWM i dunno what of 2 or even 3 years ago. Light years apart. Their innovation (and copying ability) is second to none besides Japan / Korea, and they're only just starting to pay attention to the needs of the export market - why would you, when you've got the world's largest population, and you can pretty much survive on local sales alone?

Got my triton 2.5 two years ago for 220 gorillas and had 13000km on the clock. Shop around.

Sitting on 77000km now and still going like the clappers...Very happy with it eventhough it looks like a stormtrooper from the front.

Edited by rouxtjie

You would be better off buying an Isuzu KB280DT DC, 10 years older with 250k km's on the clock for similar money. Alternatively look for a Ford Ranger 2500DT DC if your budget stretches that far.

(IF you can find one.... Unfortunately the good ones seldom come up for sale and if they do, they are sold before they are advertised)

Personally I would not buy it BUT my Brother in Law bought a GWM DC Diesel 5 years ago.

He is very happy and had zero issues. He is also very happy with the fuel consumption.

He uses it to tow his caravan.