the 29' dual susser to rule them all?

mokganjetsi

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OPTION #1:  You know what?  Google the reviews for the 2014 Specialized Camber EVO 29 - most rate the bike 4/5 or 5/5 and as a trail machine bar none.

The Spez haters will always tell you to get something else but all those reviews cannot be lying.

OPTION #2: Pivot Mach 429 Carbon.

Enjoy the choices!

thanks for the replies guys and keep the ideas coming!

love the Spez Camber but think i will get better bang for my buck on the Pyga. and it's proudly Saffa!

the santa cruz tallboy looks sick! seems like there's a good second hand deal or two around. mmmm....

somehow the scotties & silverbacks & meridas does not inspire me. sure they're fine bikes and really good value for money, but if i spend R40k+ i'm gunning for a bike with some proper x-factor.

giant a bit of the above; maybe a bit more "x" but ultimately i can build a pretty decent Pyga for the same price. and damn there are so many of them around. bike snob in the making ;)

thanks for the replies guys and keep the ideas coming!

love the Spez Camber but think i will get better bang for my buck on the Pyga. and it's proudly Saffa!

the santa cruz tallboy looks sick! seems like there's a good second hand deal or two around. mmmm....

somehow the scotties & silverbacks & meridas does not inspire me. sure they're fine bikes and really good value for money, but if i spend R40k+ i'm gunning for a bike with some proper x-factor.

giant a bit of the above; maybe a bit more "x" but ultimately i can build a pretty decent Pyga for the same price. and damn there are so many of them around. bike snob in the making ;)

nothing wrong with being a self confessed bike snob!

what do you currently ride?

why? he spends most of his time climbing hills and flying down singletracks, the spark is a great xc bike, the Spez are more marathon inclined or am I wrong? 

It's a strict XC bike. Which means it's not "the 29er dual susser to rule them all"

The Pyga is a true all rounder. 

It's a strict XC bike. Which means it's not "the 29er dual susser to rule them all"

The Pyga is a true all rounder. 

I agree, the Freedom challenge on a Spark will be a challenge, I am not knocking the scott, its a great XC bike.

That Spez Camber EVO would be great, climbs really well and on the downhills and trails its rated as pretty incredible - read the reviews. Dont get stuck on the components here, get the best frame, wheels and suspension. SLX works as well as XT..... unless you're a bike snob....... :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Edited by MuddyMike

14 posts till someone mentioned a Spez. The Hub is evolving!

but that's only if you exclude post #8, which was the first one to mention the camber. which is now getting hit on like a drunk prom queen in a dark night club.

There can be only ONE .

SANTA CRUZ TALL BOY C

there can be only one SANTA CRUZ TALL BOY CARBON

Listen to these 2. There's a reason it is the best all round bike.

One day when I'm big!!

That Spez Camber EVO would be great, climbs really well and on the downhills and trails its rated as pretty incredible.

Yeah, it's really good all-rounder that. I've ridden it back-to-back (and hard) with my OneTen29 and they're actually very comparable bikes.

Two things:

- The EVO has a 120mm Pike bolted on, which takes it a step up, seeing as it's not possible to buy an aftermarket Pike in that travel config. Having that on the front really does make a difference to the bike's attitude, there is no way to set up a Revelation to be as plush in the beginning of the stroke and have as much resistance to diving as the Pike has, the Charger damper is in a different league.

- The Camber has a slightly slacker HA (68.8) compared to the PYGA's 69.5. This gives it a slightly less playful and more stable personality. It's noticeable if you ride both bikes back-to-back, but probably not otherwise.

"The Oneten29 is our flagship trail bike – 110mm travel built around 29” wheels. A truly versatile trail machine, that’s fun to ride all day. This trail 29er is at home on your local singletrack or that multi day stage race you’ve been working towards. Designed with relaxed trail oriented geometry, its no slouch on the climbs, yet will have you grinning like an over sugared child on the way down your favourite single track.

Short chainstays allow for a playful ride, while the relatively high “anti-squat” properties of all of our frames provide a solid pedalling platform that really shines on technical climbs, rough sections and downhills. If you want one bike that can do it all, look no further – this is it."

A brilliant, simple, easy to maintain suspension system - my dream bike.  Hopefully one day I will be able to afford the frame.

OP - it's about the type of bike - not the make.

Watch out for the make and fashion trap and  oh the wheel trap - to me it seems as if you are heading for it !!

There are very few bad bikes nowadays but plenty of bad(wrong) buys.

A R40k+  bad buy is einas no matter what.

Edited by porqui

Listen to these 2. There's a reason it is the best all round bike.

One day when I'm big!!

never ridden one but by all accounts a stunning ride..... looks the business too......and those ENVE wheels.....out of budget though....

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/files/bikes/34png/tallboy2_black-34_0.png

"The Oneten29 is our flagship trail bike – 110mm travel built around 29” wheels. A truly versatile trail machine, that’s fun to ride all day. This trail 29er is at home on your local singletrack or that multi day stage race you’ve been working towards. Designed with relaxed trail oriented geometry, its no slouch on the climbs, yet will have you grinning like an over sugared child on the way down your favourite single track.

Short chainstays allow for a playful ride, while the relatively high “anti-squat” properties of all of our frames provide a solid pedalling platform that really shines on technical climbs, rough sections and downhills. If you want one bike that can do it all, look no further – this is it."

A brilliant, simple, easy to maintain suspension system - my dream bike.  Hopefully one day I will be able to afford the frame.

Perfect description of a Spez Camber!

OP - it's about the type of bike - not the make.

Watch out for the make and fashion trap and  oh the wheel trap - to me it seems as if you are heading for it !!

There are very few bad bikes nowadays but plenty of bad(wrong) buys.

A R40k+  bad buy is einas no matter what.

Wheel trap? The right (or wrong) wheels can make a HUGE impact on the bike overall...........