the 29' dual susser to rule them all?

mokganjetsi

The Giant Anthem Advanced 29er is worth a serious look. It's a competitive marathon racer, whilst also being suitable for some XC racing. It's more than suitable for something like Freedom Challenge with one of this year's top contenders. Graham Bird riding one. Price wise they are very competitive compared to the equivalent Spez, Santa Cruz, Scott etc whilst still having essentials like great groupsets, good stock wheelset and suspension. You'll save R20k compared to the SC and others.

I've raced over 9000km on mine in nearly 2 years incl Cape Epic, Joberg2C, Garden route 300, PEPlett,World Masters XC, BergnBush, numerous national marathon races plus more. The bike is standard apart from carbon bars and seatpost and has been 100% reliable during this time not to mention very competitive with some podiums in the above races. FYI I'm 1.9m and 87kg.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheel trap? The right (or wrong) wheels can make a HUGE impact on the bike overall...........

Absolutely!!!

14 posts till someone mentioned a Spez. The Hub is evolving!

Like evolution, it takes about a dozen or so iterations until perfection manifests... :devil:

The Giant Anthem Advanced 29er is worth a serious look. It's a competitive marathon racer, whilst also being suitable for some XC racing. It's more than suitable for something like Freedom Challenge with one of this year's top contenders. Graham Bird riding one. Price wise they are very competitive compared to the equivalent Spez, Santa Cruz, Scott etc whilst still having essentials like great groupsets, good stock wheelset and suspension. You'll save R20k compared to the SC and others.

I've raced over 9000km on mine in nearly 2 years incl Cape Epic, Joberg2C, Garden route 300, PEPlett,World Masters XC, BergnBush, numerous national marathon races plus more. The bike is standard apart from carbon bars and seatpost and has been 100% reliable during this time not to mention very competitive with some podiums in the above races. FYI I'm 1.9m and 87kg.

I am not competitive, but like I said on other threads, if I had 40-50k to buy a bike, I will buy the same one again (Giant Anthem Advanced 29er). The only one I might look at otherwise is maybe the Pyga.

Edited by dee_biker

Spez Camber Carbon with Hope Hubs and Arch EX rims and you have an awesome 50K bike that can do all you require

but that's only if you exclude post #8, which was the first one to mention the camber. which is now getting hit on like a drunk prom queen in a dark night club.

Meh. Missed that one. Knew it was too good to be true.

speak under correction, but I think he's on a 650b these days

I remember hearing a comment when I bought my first motorbike, to paraphrase what someone said, "if money is no object you just need to pick the brand you personally like because the top of the range from all the manufacturers are all really good and it is definitely how you want to look on it"

I say go with the one you know want to look good on and is going to make others envious that you have it and they don't. ;)

I'm still on a Hard Tail because I don't like the feel of a DS, but on the longer races I wish I had a DS because I should be able to give my legs and bum a bit of a rest especially on corrugated roads, not to mention more controlled descends on rough sections.

I will prefer getting a very short travel (80mm) DS like the following:

1. Momsen Vipa (with XT, but will swap some bits for SLX to get the price down)

2. Silverback Sesta/Sido (depending on budget, but I see you don't prefer the brand)

3. Salsa Spearfish (may just be very expensive to import)

Another bike I like a lot because it should cost very little to maintain is the Morewood Zula (because its got a single pivot).

nothing wrong with being a self confessed bike snob!

what do you currently ride?

a 2009 Cube AMS 125 26'er. a sweet all-mountain bike and have done the Cape Pioneer on it. but it's time for the dream bike now....