Cyclist down in Durbanville

Bernard Horn

Yes, it's far more civilised there, but I'm mostly referring to the system they have in place rather than the method in which it is done. You will find many people prepared to contribute as part of their normal daily commute rather than specifically sitting somewhere to do this.

System it is! I would do it and I would like to know how many others would?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mods - may I suggest we take the last post (#198) to its own thread, as I'm sure it will start an entirely different debate, which shouldn't detract from the respect for Johan and best wishes for his family?

you know what..I would happily pay a R500 annual cycling license to the DOT if I knew that money was being actively used to promote and protect all cyclists AND runners on our roads

Yeah, I agree and the sad thing is that despite us paying the R500 I suspect the carnage will still continue... Wonder what excuse motorist would the use!!!

Bottom line is we live in a society where there's very little respect for life and which allows killers to put forward all types of excuses as justification for their actions. Even worse, it appears the legal odds are stacked in their favour! Recent and current high profile cases in point... Sickening scenario come to think of it!

Durbanville - Yesterday evening 7h45 as I stopped at the T-Junction Brackenfell Blv/Wildebeest . I saw a cycling buddy approaching on his bike and turned my window down and just as I was about to shout "hoesit" a bakkie with trailer came round the corner. He was taken out clean by trailer, went over his bike and right leg, he was extremely lucky and got off lite. It was a company Bakkie JR Wendy's, the driver did stop.

He can claim his bike from insurance, but not he rest of the kit that needs to be replaced. This morning he phoned the owner to see if they can settle for all damages without a civil law suite(was told by attorney that this seems the only way). Oke had major attitude and said he is not paying anybody anything he is not interested and put the phone down. 

Leendert is willing to make a point but will need some help in funding as it would cost fair bit of money. But he is willing to take it all the way.

How about getting that fund started?

If anybody have any advice or want to contact Leendert - 082 778 0212

go to www.jrwendys.co.za and have a look what the owner looks like and where the business is situated. He stands to lose a lot if he wants to play the ahole role.

go to www.jrwendys.co.za and have a look what the owner looks like and where the business is situated. He stands to lose a lot if he wants to play the ahole role.

Maybe all cyclist must go to the site, click on contact us and give him a piece of mind

There is going to be a memorial ride for Johan on the 26th. Will be starting at 8:30 from CAPE TOWN CYCLES in Uitzicht. The idea is to ride to where Johan was knocked off his bike, lay some flowers and give people a chance to say a couple of good words.  From there we will ride back to Cape Town Cycles.  

We couldnt make it sooner as close friends of Johan had other comitments. Hope to se as may of you there.

Regards.

Ps please ride in an orderly manner with lights.... :w00t: Lets show people that we actually care.

I went to this website www.jrwendys.co.za and left a message for the owner that I will never support his business and we will spread the word. 

I suggest we all add the pressure.

There is going to be a memorial ride for Johan on the 26th. Will be starting at 8:30 from CAPE TOWN CYCLES in Uitzicht. The idea is to ride to where Johan was knocked off his bike, lay some flowers and give people a chance to say a couple of good words.  From there we will ride back to Cape Town Cycles.  

We couldnt make it sooner as close friends of Johan had other comitments. Hope to se as may of you there.

Regards.

Ps please ride in an orderly manner with lights.... :w00t: Lets show people that we actually care.

I will definitely be there to pay my respects.

Cycled passed the spot again this morning, felt so guilty that I was out there riding when a fellow cyclist paid with his life 2 days earlier doing the exact same thing. You can still clearly see where the accident happened, Johan's waterbottle is still lying next to the road which shook me...

I was also again struck by how good the visibility & how straight & wide the road is there, I just cannot comprehend how that idiot driver drove into Johan on that spot.

Again my sincere condolences to Johan's wife & children. I'm deeply shocked by this terrible event.

I will definitely be there to pay my respects.

Cycled passed the spot again this morning, felt so guilty that I was out there riding when a fellow cyclist paid with his life 2 days earlier doing the exact same thing. You can still clearly see where the accident happened, Johan's waterbottle is still lying next to the road which shook me...

I was also again struck by how good the visibility & how straight & wide the road is there, I just cannot comprehend how that idiot driver drove into Johan on that spot.

Again my sincere condolences to Johan's wife & children. I'm deeply shocked by this terrible event.

Where exactly did it happen ?

Was he going out or coming back ?

Thanks

I went to this website www.jrwendys.co.za and left a message for the owner that I will never support his business and we will spread the word. 

I suggest we all add the pressure.

Have have done the same. 

Where exactly did it happen ?

Was he going out or coming back ?

Thanks

Very close to the Abramskraal turn-off, he was riding back to Durbanville

http://t.co/pDdnij0YOO 

Just a correction on this article - the Funeral is at "Sonstraal NG Kerk" not Durbanville.

I have told Elzette about the initiative to have a moment of silence at this weekends race, as well as some riders who are going to wear black armbands - I cannot tell you how much that means to her!!!!

We are blown away by support shown from this forum (and others) and really appreciate it.

Thanks ALL!!!!

Hi

Is the funeral still at 1pm?

Thanks