The Munga Postponed - World’s toughest race faces a tough challenge

News bot

That is when the athlete realises he or she went out way too hard, pushed way too much in the beginning and should have ridden at a slightly lower, and more consistent pace, soft pedalling with forward motion is what they would need.

The point I am trying to make really, it could actually be anyones race.

Agreed. Anyone of those with the potential to win it could do - whether that's 20, 50 ot even 100 teams. But do all 450 teams have that potential? That seems doubtful. In which case, what's the motivation for spending such a high entry fee to be there then. Seems to me, to make this a success, you need a pretty solid motivation beyond the prize money for the rest of the field. $5k is a lot to pay for bragging rights alone.

Edited by walkerr

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 4 times longer than Baviaans, and 3 times longer than 36One - but the cost per person of those is R1k to R1.5k depending on your team size. For that small sum you get bragging rights, great scenery and awesome support and a ride. If it really was 'The Toughest Race on Earth' then I'd agree with the extra bragging rights - but 1,000 on gravel might be up there with some of the tough ones, but I don't see how it's tougher than them. Again, if you're racing for the money, that is sure as hell going to be tough - but for everyone else just aiming to finish who also shelled out the same $5k to be there? I'm less convinced.

I was thinking about this yesterday, maybe we/ the organisers are over-estimating the appeal of "toughness" or the bragging rights of "having done the toughest race" for the cycling community. Sure it can be part of the drawcard but I think cyclists wants more then just toughing it out..

Not so long ago Trans Baviaans advertised itself as the longest single stage race in the world, then came Trans Karoo which is 10km longer and then 360One which is a whole lot longer - but still Trans Baviaans is by far the most popular of these despite being the shortest.

I think part of the problem is that other than being long& hot & tough there is not much on the road between Cape Town and Bloem that would appeal to the average cyclist out there.

I was thinking about this yesterday, maybe we/ the organisers are over-estimating the appeal of "toughness" or the bragging rights of "having done the toughest race" for the cycling community. Sure it can be part of the drawcard but I think cyclists wants more then just toughing it out..

Not so long ago Trans Baviaans advertised itself as the longest single stage race in the world, then came Trans Karoo which is 10km longer and then 360One which is a whole lot longer - but still Trans Baviaans is by far the most popular of these despite being the shortest.

I think part of the problem is that other than being long& hot & tough there is not much on the road between Cape Town and Bloem that would appeal to the average cyclist out there.

Funnily enough I am one of those dumb enough to go for something because it seems crazily tough ... I did ponder this one for a bit. Timing didn't work for me this year with other rides I'm already committed too. But actually it wasn't the high entry fee alone putting me off. I would have been one of those aiming to finish and not racing for the money. You nailed it above - it just looked like a long, hot and probably quite dull ride which ultimately I wouldn't be able to say was actually tough or interesting enough for the money and time I had spent doing it. I'm an endurance rider, and hence a potential customer of this - and it didn't appeal to me. You've got to fix that unless the event is just to be for Pros and Elite racers. I did actually exchange emails with Alex a few months back - but nothing came back in the responses to change my views.

Yip, riding from Bloem to Colesberg to Three Sisters is route I would rather skip.

Yip, riding from Bloem to Colesberg to Three Sisters is route I would rather skip.

Its bad enough in a car.....

The whole event did not really strike a chord with me

Was all a bit bigger...better...harder....richer   pissing contest

I doubt it will make it back next year.They planned on 400 entries and got about 100 entries.I stand open to correction

That's about 30M Rondt entrance money short

You cannot run an event at a loss....or shouldnt anyway

Its bad enough in a car.....

The whole event did not really strike a chord with me

Was all a bit bigger...better...harder....richer   pissing contest

I doubt it will make it back next year.They planned on 400 entries and got about 100 entries.I stand open to correction

That's about 30M Rondt entrance money short

You cannot run an event at a loss....or shouldnt anyway

If they got as many as 100 it feels like cancelling could be a mistake to me. Any event is going to take a few years to build the following and aura that lures people in. 100 for a first one doesn't seem like a bad start - if you're in it for the long game to create a world-class event, then the 1st few years are likely to not make money as you build the brand. Very few business make a profit in their 1st year or two. You'd think any investor would understand that, and the need to actually stage the 1st one to get the whole machine rolling. Feels lightweight to just pull out

If they got as many as 100 it feels like cancelling could be a mistake to me. Any event is going to take a few years to build the following and aura that lures people in. 100 for a first one doesn't seem like a bad start - if you're in it for the long game to create a world-class event, then the 1st few years are likely to not make money as you build the brand. Very few business make a profit in their 1st year or two. You'd think any investor would understand that, and the need to actually stage the 1st one to get the whole machine rolling. Feels lightweight to just pull out

They would have planned for a first year of 400 with growth from thereon

It is not sustainable with only 100 entering...let alone paying

Total loser in my mind

They would have planned for a first year of 400 with growth from thereon

It is not sustainable with only 100 entering...let alone paying

Total loser in my mind

If their plan was an 88% uptake from year 1 they were doomed before they even got going. That should have been their year 3 target, with enough backing and an investor who bought into the growth plan over those early years.

Funnily enough I am one of those dumb enough to go for something because it seems crazily tough ... I did ponder this one for a bit. Timing didn't work for me this year with other rides I'm already committed too. But actually it wasn't the high entry fee alone putting me off. I would have been one of those aiming to finish and not racing for the money. You nailed it above - it just looked like a long, hot and probably quite dull ride which ultimately I wouldn't be able to say was actually tough or interesting enough for the money and time I had spent doing it. I'm an endurance rider, and hence a potential customer of this - and it didn't appeal to me. You've got to fix that unless the event is just to be for Pros and Elite racers. I did actually exchange emails with Alex a few months back - but nothing came back in the responses to change my views.

Hmm - it is a bit sad that the event is dead (i know they say not) as it will probably happen in some form or another somewhere in the world.

But FWIW my 2 cents worth:

The old Epic was something like this in some ways - long open road endurance grinding. Suits some - but likely a minority of dare i say enthusiasts and normally not the flashy guys who have the big wallets and egos (read bucks - sorry endurance riders to generalize but you guys are normally not in this category).

May need flame retardant now, but their research was not well done especially as to the heir demographics of who would enter this event and whether they had R 110k entry money to plunk down.

Sure it has global appeal - as you say - just not sure quite waht that is.

And finally - the Epic is often flamed as being too easy now as they have gone to a much more single track based route with less of this open road grinding. I think, having tried an old Epic, the new route is much more exciting hence the appeal has increased.

There isn't 1000 km of single track between Bloem and Stellenbosch....

So I will be conducting a telephonic interview with Alex Harris tomorrow on MIX 93.8 FM.

I just got off the phone with him.

The Munga is alive and will be even stronger in time to come.

So I will be conducting a telephonic interview with Alex Harris tomorrow on MIX 93.8 FM.

I just got off the phone with him.

The Munga is alive and will be even stronger in time to come.

As an interviewer I hope you insist he back that up with facts, figures and dates. Anything less is a dis-service to those who have been let down by the cancellation. Now is not the time for a cozy chat - grill him hard for answers ;)

As an interviewer I hope you insist he back that up with facts, figures and dates. Anything less is a dis-service to those who have been let down by the cancellation. Now is not the time for a cozy chat - grill him hard for answers ;)

The interview with Super Cycling was totally inadequate and wishy washy

The interview with Super Cycling was totally inadequate and wishy washy

They always are. You collect $500k off people (assuming the 100 count is correct) and then cancel the event. If you really are serious that it will happen, you have serious answering to do

Remember the Cape Epic was pie in the sky when announced.

It didn't make money at all, but all the cash Kevin Vermaak invested in has paid off handsomely now. In fact he paid the suppliers from year1 with the entries from year 2). It gained instant appeal, probably because the timing was right, but mainly because the concept, marketing, route and MOST importantly the entry fee was well researched.