The Munga Postponed - World’s toughest race faces a tough challenge

News bot

Yep...another amazingly positive race thread, wtf is happening down there?

Are people so the moer in that they hate everything...?

I think everyone was hellava excited about it...would have been awesome to watch / follow....so quite dissapointed with this as chunky says.

But you have to admit....the numbers didnt quite make sense.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone was hellava excited about it...would have been awesome to watch / follow....so quite dissapointed with this as chunky says.

I agree, I couldn't wait for December to roll on in and see how the pampered pro's vs the hardcore mountain men race would of panned out......Dammit.....

Definetly not targeting / for the average joe but would have thought a good few overseas pro's would have considered it....maybe pre xmas was a bit early for them.

Lets see what the Revision 1 brings....

What a monumental f-up!!!

was really excited to watch this one from the sidelines. NOW I would really love to know: how they going to deal with this? what happened to all the claims 'this is definitely going to happen' ? the lawyers letter sent out saying the prize money was already in trust ? 

That was a piss poor attempt at a press release imo... who pulled out? Name and shame. I actually feel really sorry for Mr. Harris... can't be nice situation to be in with all the hype. Hope he has a serious PR team in place for this one...

Definetly not targeting / for the average joe but would have thought a good few overseas pro's would have considered it....maybe pre xmas was a bit early for them.

Lets see what the Revision 1 brings....

Sure but it seems they needed a few average joe's entry fees.

A fairly ambitious project to say the least..

Sounds like one I was working on for the last few months that also didn't pan out accordingly, except involved was a govt/private partnership and now there is a whole lot of finger pointing and its going legal and ugly.

I would say the investor looked at this and saw that the timeline was totally out of whack and realized that there was no ways he would recoup his outlay.

Also there are two side to the story and whoever gets the press release out in the open first generally gathers the most sympathy and weight.

edit:grammer

Edited by Honkdonk

A fairly ambitious project to say the least..

Sounds like one I was working on for the last few months that also didn't pan out accordingly, except mine involved was a govt/private partnership and now there is a whole of finger pointing and its going legal and ugly.

I would say the investor looked at this and saw that the timeline was totally out of whack and realized that there was no ways he would recoup his outlay.

Also there are two side to the story and whoever gets the press release out in the open first generally gathers the most sympathy and weight.

Looking forward to the response to this from ....Mr. Griffin I presume???

Entry change to R60/70k (people will pay this for braggin rights), and adjust the prize money accordingly - would still be off the charts big $$$ as far as Mtb goes!

In it's current guise they will never get rider confidence back imho

Entry change to R60/70k (people will pay this for braggin rights), and adjust the prize money accordingly - would still be off the charts big $$$ as far as Mtb goes!

In it's current guise they will never get rider confidence back imho

yea, pity allround. eish

This sucks, how much do they need to make it happen, I have a few pennies laying around and I'm sure finding another investor can't be that hard, really?

how difficult are the logistics really. take 3/4 of the current entry fees and say thats the new prize money...then take the other 1/4 to setup the compulsory checkpoints and cover the costs of setting up the supply droppoffs...hell you could even make that the responsibility of the team

drop supersport and there fees and setup some rider tracking and strategically placed web cams

How will you benefit from doing this:

1. Those that want to ride will ride...

2. They will appreciate the honesty 

3. it will still be a great spectacle

4. it will give them a reputation and make it possible for them to revisit their cost model next year

Hell I even like that model....50k entry fee....3/4 goes to prizes and 1/4 goes to organisation...the more entries..the bigger the pot 

how difficult are the logistics really. take 3/4 of the current entry fees and say thats the new prize money...then take the other 1/4 to setup the compulsory checkpoints and cover the costs of setting up the supply droppoffs...hell you could even make that the responsibility of the team

drop supersport and there fees and setup some rider tracking and strategically placed web cams

How will you benefit from doing this:

1. Those that want to ride will ride...

2. They will appreciate the honesty 

3. it will still be a great spectacle

4. it will give them a reputation and make it possible for them to revisit their cost model next year

Hell I even like that model....50k entry fee....3/4 goes to prizes and 1/4 goes to organisation...the more entries..the bigger the pot 

Too late now, the horse has bolted, flights are being cancelled as we speak...... eish....

I would think that people will want their money back pronto to protect themselves against possible loss and will be very hesitant to enter again?

The "I told you so" brigade will be elated...

Me, I was really hoping this would take off - would have been crazy to watch this duel live  :(

I'm one of the proudly "I-told-you-so" brigade, look up my early posts on the Munga thread  :whistling:

Like jcza said, "great idea, poor execution".

The business model just never made sense, the flaws are blatantly obvious unless you are a fanboy. If he managed to pull this thing off it would have proved I have no common sense which is the only reason I am elated.

Also, yes it would have been nice to watch on the couch - but there have never been any talk of this being broadcasted live, I mean not even the whole Epic is broadcasted live and that should be much easier & cheaper.

I hope he can rework his idea and come back with a more realistic model, although I have a gut feel the little bird has flown on this one..