The Munga Postponed - World’s toughest race faces a tough challenge

News bot

Would also be interested to know how / if there were any hyping 'incentives' to the press /  journalists / industry players etc

Was the game to hype the event to the point where punters (oops almost said suckers) would part with their R110k+ for fear of being left out of something great and really important?

That's how most PR/Advertising works, the IT industry being a prime example.

Obviously enough people didn't take the bait to pay for the  million $ prize.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(Andrew - sorry if it appears that I pick on your posts, nothing personal - I will wear my noddy badge with pride :whistling: )

It would be interesting to know what happened with the whole billionaire backer thing, what was in it for the guy in the first place? If it was a vanity project why did we barely heard of him (if it was the porche guy), if he was hoping to get some return on his investment what went wrong (not enough entries? numbers not adding up?)

Would like to hear "Mr Tread's" take on this, he was always enthusiastically punting this race on Twitter, and first with breaking news regarding The Munga until yesterday.

Sean Badenhorst is currently riding the Berg and Bush (great trek) I am sure he will tweet something about this soon enough.

Pity this has gone down the tube, I was looking forward to following this race. .

Perhaps too big a promise with not enough backup and the mistake of relying solely on one big sponsor.

Edited by Gen

Maybe go more Freedom Challenge & less Hollywood?

He wanted to give those guys the recognition they deserve (FC, Great Divide etc), force the pro's into their domain, drag in the 24hr racers etc - the money was the bait, and if it worked, the winner would be the worthy, for the "Toughest Race on Earth"

Michael and Alex are friends (well hopefully still are) - it was Alex's dream, and he wanted people to recognise some of the less flashier names out there, who are just as tough (if not tougher) than the Sauser's and Platt's of this world. The money would pull in everyone, would give credence to the title of the Toughest race on earth. While a physical race, it would also push the mental boundaries of riders beyond anything they had ever imagined.

I mean come one, I'd give my left nut (excuse the pun) to watch Sauser, Platt, Armstrong, English, Juarez, Dreyer etc killing each other on their bikes after 800km's of racing  :clap: 

It's still an awesome idea in my view, the sums just need to be ammended  :thumbup:

Geepers you did not mention the forbidden outcast did you ...

Now that would bring in the $$$$ methinks

Sean Badenhorst is currently riding the Berg and Bush (great trek) I am sure he will tweet something about this soon enough.

That's a very valid excuse  :blush:

Alex responded to some bashing after it was posted on facebook with the following:

Guys. Understand something. A lot of people have dedicated more than a year of their lives to this idea. I have invested more than 20 years into my brand and it is based on growing honest and open relationships. This is what the Munga is about. I know we are letting some people down but we are making a decision from a place of integrity and respect. Especially to those who have been training their hearts out. We have made a commitment to every rider that they will be paid in full by the end of the week. This is a bump for us and thank you to all those riders who continue to show their faith in our idea.

Surely they would've had some or other legal agreement with the sponsor. . Shees shows you never ever do business with friends or family.

Silly idea from the start.  Doomed from day one.  I actually thought/think such a race entry idea is silly/unachievable/pipe-dream.

It depended who entered first as to who would enter the race last.  Now that the time is nigh, dummy's get spat.  Also, naturally,  too expensive to sponsor, Winner takes all and second is as good as last.  What an incentive for the sponsors!

There will be more fun sorting the mess out than the actual racing.