The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

Find the biggest hill you can get and ride it up and down until you want to puke. Once you've puked get back on the bike and do it over and over and over and over.

Pretty much describes Trans Baviaans for me - a tactical puke at the top of Berg Plaas and I'm good to go again!

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 hours for me - I'm not a fast rider and was only ever aiming for a finish. Had half hoped for 24hrs but Rooiberg nailed me. Fallback plan was under 30 - so all smiles at the end. I'm a Randonneur really, so plodding resolutely to the end is my thing. The blog write-up is taking longer than the actual ride!

Enjoyed the event a lot, at times, when I wasn't swearing. May come back some day - will probably have a crack at Desert Dash and Trans Karoo first though.

Congrats to all who took part

Edited by walkerr

Going up Rooiberg the decision was taken between Gir-T and I that we won't do this race again "I see no reason to do it again this is number 2 what is it that we want to achieve".

On that horrible last 80km I re-affirmend the decision but in proper Afrikaans."Ek is nou f......n gatvol vir hierdie race NOOIT WEER NIE!!!!!!"

At the finish I told everybody that wanted to listen it was our last never again.

Doing the Trans Karoo just a week later and I am sure that we made the right decision.

Saturday while driving to welcome some riders at Scotties finishing the JB2C,the "small 1 aka Gir-T" started her nonsense again and being the good husband always aiming to please my wife............waiting for the entries to open, will be there again next year!!

What is it with this damn race??? :cursing:  :w00t:  :eek: ........ :thumbup:  :clap:

Going up Rooiberg the decision was taken between Gir-T and I that we won't do this race again "I see no reason to do it again this is number 2 what is it that we want to achieve".

On that horrible last 80km I re-affirmend the decision but in proper Afrikaans."Ek is nou f......n gatvol vir hierdie race NOOIT WEER NIE!!!!!!"

At the finish I told everybody that wanted to listen it was our last never again.

Doing the Trans Karoo just a week later and I am sure that we made the right decision.

Saturday while driving to welcome some riders at Scotties finishing the JB2C,the "small 1 aka Gir-T" started her nonsense again and being the good husband always aiming to please my wife............waiting for the entries to open, will be there again next year!!

What is it with this damn race??? :cursing:  :w00t:  :eek: ........ :thumbup:  :clap:

my wife also forced me to do this again, but then again we have unfinished business.

see you at Kleinplaas on 16 April 2016

Mmmm.... Wat kan ek se...?  By die einde was die eerste woorde uit my mond "Nooit, ooit, ooit weer nie!!!!"

En nou? Nou begin die ding aan my knaag, miskien sal ek maar weer die bulletjie aanpak... 

I think its the a real adventure and your mind gets to rest and get away even though your body takes a beating .Nothing like having time to wonder around in your brain with no WORK or other thoughts bothering you and the amazing scenery. This overrrides the aches and pains that one feel and once done the feeling of accomplishment like no other - it is addictive

I think its the a real adventure and your mind gets to rest and get away even though your body takes a beating .Nothing like having time to wonder around in your brain with no WORK or other thoughts bothering you and the amazing scenery. This overrrides the aches and pains that one feel and once done the feeling of accomplishment like no other - it is addictive

I find 36One tougher mentally than physically. The first 270kms (well, up to the top of Rooiberg) are all a mental game. The attention to detail - sticking to the plan, making sure you're looking after you're body, refusing to chase flashy red lights, and ignoring the white lights closing in on you from behind, not really knowing what lies around the next corner. The final 90kms are also a mental game, but one of mind over matter - omehow taking control of my own mind in order to push my body to places it normally doesn't go.

Quietly suffering in your own mental prison. While my mind is free of work and other thoughts, it's filled with imaginary spectators, giant chickens, and the on going throb of aches and pains from various body parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Does anyone have an idea when registrations open for 36One?

It will be the biggest race I can afford next year and really don't want to miss it.

Have already started training for it, distance and strength..

Thanks.

Hi everyone.

It will be the biggest race I can afford next year and really don't want to miss it.

Thanks.

well dont break a circuit just yet -  :ph34r:

good on you for starting so early 

Hi everyone.

Thanks.

Don't overdo it.

It takes a lot of training and believe me, by feb/March you will be gatvol of your bike no matter what

Heel drop, that was really a good 1. The thing is, Fanie, I'm in my 40s and it seems my recovery is a bit slow. So I had to start early and easy. Cycling is just great and a good way of unwinding after work, the only frustration is the slow recovery and the routes that becomes boring.

Heel drop, that was really a good 1. The thing is, Fanie, I'm in my 40s and it seems my recovery is a bit slow. So I had to start early and easy. Cycling is just great and a good way of unwinding after work, the only frustration is the slow recovery and the routes that becomes boring.

juts find some characters that can take the boredom away when you ride - it will be much more bearable when you have a partner to ride with at least some rides. Find some decent recovery supplement ( there are plenty on the market ) and you will see as you get more fit recovery will be much quicker as well. Small steps and before you know it you will be in great shape