Carbon Rigid fork on a carbon 29er duel suspension bike? Can it work?

Mongoose!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what that means, but good luck riding Meerendal/Sabie/Clarens or any proper marathon race with a rigid in front. You will lose more time trying to maintain speed on tough sections then you will gain in saving a few grams

Grant Usher did a 06:09 Attakwas on a rigid fork and single speed.  121km and 3000m climbing with some of the toughest terrain you will find in SA over the first 65km.  Those who have ridden Attakwas will know that 06:09 is an excellent time. Not saying he would be faster or slower with a suspension fork, but I have ridden many routes with a rigid fork and your riding style adapts.

But rigid fork on a full suspension, one must ask: WHY??

Edited by Brian Fantana

Grant Usher did a 06:09 Attakwas on a rigid fork and single speed.  121km and 3000m climbing with some of the toughest terrain you will find in SA over the first 65km.  Those who have ridden Attakwas will know that 06:09 is an excellent time. Not saying he would be faster or slower with a suspension fork, but I have ridden many routes with a rigid fork and your riding style adapts.

Ah. I see your edit... Now you see!

Not arguing the fact that there are guys/girls out there that can ride any route/terrain in a brilliant time. And Grant Usher is not human, he's a machine.

For the mere mortals out there, suspension will help you more than a rigid fork.

Edited by Wil6

Did transkaroo this year on a Tallboy with rigid carbon fork. Came in 8th. Does that answer your question?

Please post a pic of it if you can, it would be interesting to see. 

Transkaroo (240kms Ceres to Sutherland). You do adapt very quickly. Your arms become the suspension. Ever heard the term riding soft arms. Also ran Renegade 1.95 tyres at 1.8 & 2 bar. Planning to do 36one with rigid hardtail next year.

Rodeo Clown comes to mind...

Also ran Renegade 1.95 tyres at 1.8 & 2 bar. Planning to do 36one with rigid hardtail next year.

Small tyres at those pressures on a rigid. You're my hero.

Rigid hardtail makes sense. 'Rigid' full sus... not so much.

Edited by Ryanpmb

Grant Usher did a 06:09 Attakwas on a rigid fork and single speed.  121km and 3000m climbing with some of the toughest terrain you will find in SA

That is Grant Usher though....

I tried to make up for lack of training on Karoo2coast by saving some weight because I had a rigid fork lying around and, well, it is dirt roady heaven.

Bad move for me.

The continous jarring of the thousands of small bumps and corrugations wore me out. Even though I rode the last climb up to Simola in a PR, my overall time was much slower due to my eventual inability to just sit there and pedal.

I tried to make up for lack of training on Karoo2coast by saving some weight because I had a rigid fork lying around and, well, it is dirt roady heaven.

Bad move for me.

You said it man. Rigid fork is not a substitute for lack of training. Quite the opposite is required.

That is Grant Usher though....

Bad move for me.

The continous jarring of the thousands of small bumps and corrugations wore me out. Even though I rode the last climb up to Simola in a PR, my overall time was much slower due to my eventual inability to just sit there and pedal.

Usher does not need suspension.... he is as light as a feather.....

Lose some more weight by riding a "Full Rigid" bike. Added bonus will be that you lose your fillings in your teeth and anything not securely fastened to your bike, so even more weight saving!

Usher does not need suspension.... he is as light as a feather.....

Usher is not human, he is a machine with hairy legs!

By doing that, my bike will lose 1.5kg cheap cheap

Actually a decent rigid mtb carbon fork weighs in at about 600g, so you would only lose about 900g!

Rode last years Trans Baviaans on a rigid HT 29er (I was running the bike as a SS and decided to gear it for Trans instead of taking the 26er). Paid for it after a while on the corrugations, especially going downhill. First 100km or so was ok. Not again. 'Shocked' the front for this year and sooooo glad I did, roads were really bad.

Now the Inbred has the rigid and I generally do not ride further than 60-70km with it.

DS with rigid does not make sense to me.