Carbon Rigid fork on a carbon 29er duel suspension bike? Can it work?

Mongoose!

I rode 2009 Karoo to Coast on a rigid single speed steel 29er. I had a very nice ride. The following year I rode a very light geared 29er hardtail and thought I would smash the previous year's time. Only went 30 seconds faster. If you give yourself and your riding style time to adapt to a rigid fork it can be a very nice ride.

I have done Atta on the rigid SS.

I reckon with a geared bike I could have taken around 40 minutes off my time.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is Grant Usher though....

I tried to make up for lack of training on Karoo2coast by saving some weight because I had a rigid fork lying around and, well, it is dirt roady heaven.

Bad move for me.

The continous jarring of the thousands of small bumps and corrugations wore me out. Even though I rode the last climb up to Simola in a PR, my overall time was much slower due to my eventual inability to just sit there and pedal.

Lack of training= EPO! Weet jy dan niks nie

I have done Atta, I have ridden a SS and I have ridden a rigid hardtail.

I have no idea how you got the last two into the same sentence as the first. Respect.

Frikking impressive. How long does one walk like John Wayne?

Transkaroo (240kms Ceres to Sutherland). You do adapt very quickly. Your arms become the suspension. Ever heard the term riding soft arms. Also ran Renegade 1.95 tyres at 1.8 & 2 bar. Planning to do 36one with rigid hardtail next year.

And that is an uphill slogfest  - not fun at all, so you can take off the fork and save weight, A Cyclocross bike would be even better...

Very impressive. Well done. I have done 3 Atta's and I have done many marathon type races on a rigid single speed. Personally I will not attempt Atta on a SSR, on that route I need some gears and suspension.

thanks for the input

Rigid hardtail is hard I know

I want to try something complete new

A rigid duel - or the new name : 1/2 suspension bike

Duel - an arranged engagement in combat between two individuals.

Dual - consisting of two parts, elements, or aspects.

Not sure what a rigid duel would be, but I think you're after a rigid dual instead. Just don't be calling it a soft tail see...

I have done Atta, I have ridden a SS and I have ridden a rigid hardtail.

I have no idea how you got the last two into the same sentence as the first. Respect.

Come now Eddy, it's not that hard if one trains a bit  :thumbup:

Frikking impressive. How long does one walk like John Wayne?

Only when I walked in to the Spur for a draught beer .

Duel - an arranged engagement in combat between two individuals.

Dual - consisting of two parts, elements, or aspects.

Not sure what a rigid duel would be, but I think your after a rigid dual instead. Just don't be calling it a soft tail see...

Rigid Duel would be 2 blokes after coming across the earlier soft "tail"...

Very impressive. Well done. I have done 3 Atta's and I have done many marathon type races on a rigid single speed. Personally I will not attempt Atta on a SSR, on that route I need some gears and suspension.

Grant and myself kept passing each other, I had a mother of a puncture from the rocks punching holes in my rear tyre.

I also selected the wrong gear, I was totally over geared with a 33/18, I had to walk some of the hills after the Spur stop.

I finished with a 6:18 on my clock, geared bike on that day and that second half would have been much easier .

Grant and myself kept passing each other, I had a mother of a puncture from the rocks punching holes in my rear tyre.

I also selected the wrong gear, I was totally over geared with a 33/18, I had to walk some of the hills after the Spur stop.

I finished with a 6:18 on my clock, geared bike on that day and that second half would have been much easier .

Perhaps in a next life I will do Attakwas on a SS. :eek:

Come now Eddy, it's not that hard if one trains a bit  :thumbup:

Doing K2C on rigid HT. My legs and lungs were completely fine at the end. My hands, arms and upper body were stuffed.

Going up and over the ou wapad was fine, out the saddle and soft arms. But the long relatively smooth sections ( but are actually rutted and corrugated) to the end which require you to put the hammer down killed me. Death by a thousand bumps.

I did a PB up the last hill, so know I had lots in reserve, but could harldy grip the bar.

i was on my ss that year also i came in 5;58, luckily i had no mechanicals

. How long does one walk like John Wayne?

Now I understand why he had to change from Dangle to the Sherriff.

Did transkaroo this year on a Tallboy with rigid carbon fork. Came in 8th. Does that answer your question?

Talboy with Rigid fork... you need to send some pictures!

Archived