Long term review: Five Ten Impact Low

Iwan Kemp

Just got some Etnies Rap Ct shoes, its their Bmx team shoe, very tacky sole/perfect tread pattern and grips like crazy so far, actually quite hard to shift my foot around. Costs about R600, seems they are a bit longer than usual so if your normal shoe size is on the big side perhaps go one size smaller.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got some Etnies Rap Ct shoes, its their Bmx team shoe, very tacky sole/perfect tread pattern and grips like crazy so far, actually quite hard to shift my foot around. Costs about R600, seems they are a bit longer than usual so if your normal shoe size is on the big side perhaps go one size smaller.

details?

Well there you go R400 on special, can't argue with that price , those guys normally sell them at R650 though, the black/gum looks sick.

Edited by Skylark

• 1 month later...

So stoked I came across this thread! I'm changing over from clipless to flats on my Trance. Not doing hectic downhill, it's more for AM, trail riding, Conties, Hoogkraal, etc. Looking at the Saints. Any suggestions?

What 5.10 shoe model do you guys suggest I get?

• 3 weeks later...

So stoked I came across this thread! I'm changing over from clipless to flats on my Trance. Not doing hectic downhill, it's more for AM, trail riding, Conties, Hoogkraal, etc. Looking at the Saints. Any suggestions?

Not sure n pricing, but Saints are quite heavy and fairly thick compared to what else is available out there. Would be cool if someone with first hand experience could chip.

In terms of 5.10's I would suggest the VXi. 

Not sure n pricing, but Saints are quite heavy and fairly thick compared to what else is available out there. Would be cool if someone with first hand experience could chip.

I have the vxi and only for a few months now and loving them

Latest product news from Five Ten:

I've had 4 different variations of FiveTen flats (and 1 variation of the cleats).

The Impact VXi's are by far my favourite.

I have been running them for just under a year and whilst they are quite worn (I rotate the balls of my feet quite a lot on the pedals), the wear is no better or worse than the others after the same amount of usage.

On top of the amazing grip, they are light(er) than all the others, and they are very weather resistant (as well as quick drying for when they get soaked).

Good starting point are Nukeproof Electrons.

For flat pedals I like these... only weigh 320gms... R950.00

http://www.performancebikes.co.za/pFUNN0014/FUNN-Fundamental-pedals.aspx

Edited by RichieT

I ordered Freerider Elements from CRC yesterday lunch (R 1330 with DHL  shipping option).

This morning DHL phoned me to let me know shoes are at customs and need payment for clearance. Stoked!

...until I opened the DHL customs invoice - R 710 - ouch!

Hmm, at the end pretty close to the local prices - I guess without DHL shipping you safe a R200-R300 more...

Any way - CRC are running a special on a lot of five-ten shoes including the Impacts...size could be problem with more popular models and colours. 

Lol, might have jumped the gun a bit on the shoes, since I must still decide on the new bike (Trance 2 vs Reign 2, vs well not much close price wise), but hoping all comes together for nice mtb holiday end of month in Cape Town. 

Also thinking of going Saints...

Edited by VT-2

• 1 month later...

Saints can take the abuse. The lighter ones (whats 100 grams - 3 sips of beer) can't. DMR Vaults are the business, but they only 60grams lighter than the Saints at double the price

• 3 weeks later...

Saints can take the abuse. The lighter ones (whats 100 grams - 3 sips of beer) can't. DMR Vaults are the business, but they only 60grams lighter than the Saints at double the price

Both my Spank Spikes and Point1 Racing Podium pedals have taken continued abuse and general neglect and manage just fine. There are some pedals that do not like repeated rock strikes (magnesium ones for instance), but there are plenty of light(er) and thinner pedals out there that will last just as long as Saints.