Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

Easier to run 10-sp STIs with a 9-sp MTB RD (pre-Dynasys). Go google this - it works. 10-sp MTB RD have a different pull ratio to 10sp STIs.

Or use Sram.

Sram road shifters and MTB derailleurs use the same pull ratio and are compatible with each other.

I found a used 10 spd XO RD and used 10 spd Red shifters on the Hub for my build and they work together seamlessly

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So while we are talking about shifters and derailleurs, I am planning on running 10spd rear mated to a friction shifter, either bar mount or downtube mount.

Anyone has some experience with running 10spd deraileurs with friction shifters?

As far as I know it should work, meaning pull the cable to all gears, but the pull increment will be very small so one would need a very gentle shift.

So while we are talking about shifters and derailleurs, I am planning on running 10spd rear mated to a friction shifter, either bar mount or downtube mount.

Anyone has some experience with running 10spd deraileurs with friction shifters?

As far as I know it should work, meaning pull the cable to all gears, but the pull increment will be very small so one would need a very gentle shift.

KM it depends on the shifter used,  all of them on friction have the range just set up the limit screws and you will be fine; BUT if you want the best set up get hold of some SOMA Silvers they have micro ratchets within the friction action.  I run 10sp on an XT Derailleur and the feel is perfect you never miss a shift and the bonus is you are not restricted to on gear ratio shift at a time.  They are available from Nils in CT

KM it depends on the shifter used,  all of them on friction have the range just set up the limit screws and you will be fine; BUT if you want the best set up get hold of some SOMA Silvers they have micro ratchets within the friction action.  I run 10sp on an XT Derailleur and the feel is perfect you never miss a shift and the bonus is you are not restricted to on gear ratio shift at a time.  They are available from Nils in CT

This guy doesn't post much but he knows his stuff.

I'd be inclined to follow his advice.

I use DA bar end friction shifters on a XT RD and am very happy. I am so used to it and I don't think I would go back to anything else.

Been hunting dodgy old bike shops for parts and with a friends help managed to get it to this point.

Early Jan the disc brake tabs will go on.

Still looking for a 10speed chain. Anyone got one lying around?03a74f6ae117e4b74c58f1919fa42cba.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

So the project is not completed yet.

Still have to get the disc brake tabs brazed on and then the new wheelset fitted.

But I took the bike out for a test on some singletrack.  My home trails Boschendal behind our house served to be pretty rough on a me.  After this ride I missed my 29" stumpy.

Some photos that my wife took on our ride.

post-9222-0-00461600-1514968461_thumb.jpeg

post-9222-0-36462100-1514968592_thumb.jpeg

I have a pair of Midge bars for you.

I'm away on holiday til next week so just send me a reminder then and we can meet somewhere

Hope you got my PM mate! I'm around just let me know where and when [emoji41]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Ok, initial comparison and thoughts.

Maxxis were a pain to get to run tubeless, and eventually I gave up.  Kenda's were a breeze.

Maxxis measure 33mm wide, and the Kenda's a whopping 42mm.  They are huge!!  Cannot wait to get them on the rough stuff!!!

For tar riding:

- I ran the Maxxis at about 2.8-3.0 Bar pressure, which gives a harsh ride (Niner is Alu) - bike is on the heavy side at 10.2kg and behaves like....a heavy roadbike.  (Maxxis = 300g each).

- I ran the Kenda's at about 2.6 Bar, and the ride is plush in comparison. (Kenda's = 520g each). The extra weight is a killer.  The bike now feels like a HT MTB, but a tad more nimble.  Bear in mind I'm still on a 26er HT (Alu)!!

-Rolling resistance similar, Kenda's have the edge.

Ok here goes.

My Karoo ride was a mix between gravel and tar, so I kept the pressure at around 2.3 Bar. Location = Groenfontein area close to Calitzdorp, part of the 360ONE route. 

The wider Kenda's transformed the Cx bike, and the gravel road, which was at places littered with rocks, was tackled without any concern.  Steering downhill was still not as fast/precise as on my HT, but it was more of a confidence thing.  And I could improve matters by dropping the pressure to 2 bar.

I would be interesting putting the Kenda's on a HT as see what effect the narrower tyres will have when doing district roads.