Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

I know....... I have even had the priviledge of riding a mate's Sachs. ;-). I just did not have the sarcasm font on my phone.......

But, as a substitute for a road bike, I think that a cup holder is useful as I think a Camelbak on a Sachs should get one shot.

I picked up the sarcasm with the word Hyundai ;)

IMO a Sachs owner could ride with a camelbak, in slops, on flats...

But yes, not a bike intended as an all rounder - but we were suggesting Sachs, Cielos & Stinners against a Spez - they really probably shouldn't be on the same thread. Really ;)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up the sarcasm with the word Hyundai ;)

IMO a Sachs owner could ride with a camelbak, in slops, on flats...

But yes, not a bike intended as an all rounder - but we were suggesting Sachs, Cielos & Stinners against a Spez - they really probably shouldn't be on the same thread. Really ;)

1st that I have heard of those bikes☺️

except the spez of course ????

OK, so after much back and forth with Eldron at weird hours of the day and night (he always puts up with my bull**** - such a gentleman) we have decided to :

Contraband Rogue frame. XT drive train and stopping power (i have a spare bike in RSA with all of this on, so it sort of makes sense to take all the parts) 650b AC race wheels with Serfas tires (if we can get them in time) for now, it will have a reba on the front, but when i get the chance i wanna whack a rigid fork on it. 

He will also be sending me some SS parts so i can switch the contraband into SS mode when the mood suits me.

I will call her "FRANKENBIKE" sort of a bit of this and a bit of that.

Looking forward to it. 

My in laws are coming to visit this coming weekend, so Eldron doesn't have much time to build it and pack it by Wednesday. 

On a separate note, that man is a flipping legend and i am deeply indebted to him.

I'm a total Cyclocross newbie, but that Giant TCX SLR with 105 looks great value for money does it not?

I'm a total Cyclocross newbie, but that Giant TCX SLR with 105 looks great value for money does it not?

I thought so to, also test rode one. Decent price, but once you factor in the things you would change it gets a little pricey ish.

I thought so to, also test rode one. Decent price, but once you factor in the things you would change it gets a little pricey ish.

What would you look to replace? Obviously wheels for starters... maybe lighter bars?

Hi i have one very happy,the wheels are on the heavy side but good enough for me

What would you look to replace? Obviously wheels for starters... maybe lighter bars?

Wheels, bars and would like to upgrade the brakes to hydro. 

But to get going its a great start.

Wheels, bars and would like to upgrade the brakes to hydro. 

But to get going its a great start.

See it comes with 32 hole wheels and that's ideal for a CX bike....whatwould you change them to??

I personally wouldn't go with bars that are to light and also not carbon unless you a very smooth rider.

See it comes with 32 hole wheels and that's ideal for a CX bike....whatwould you change them to??

I personally wouldn't go with bars that are to light and also not carbon unless you a very smooth rider.

I am just not a fan of giant wheels, have had endless issues with the spokes, nipples, freehub

Copied from tyre thread:

More a rim question than tyre, as I already have SPECIALIZED CX tyres.

Will normal 29er crest rims work for a cyclocross build actually a monstercross as I'm using a MTB frame or should I rather get cx specific rims? What are the pro's vs cons? Thanks in advance.

Copied from tyre thread:

Will normal 29er crest rims work for a cyclocross build actually a monstercross as I'm using a MTB frame or should I rather get cx specific rims? What are the pro's vs cons? Thanks in advance.

A similar query was made on a cycling forum sometime ago and this was Stans repsonse:

'The Crest and the Iron Cross both do not work that well with road tires and tubes. They will not work at all with road tubeless tires. On the Crest the smallest I would run would be a 28 but the pressure might be limited by the rim to 80psi.

I would recommend the Alpha 340 as it works with road tires and cross tires.'

Note the query was geared to actual road tyres (higher pressures) not CX tyres which are usually 32 - 45C...

Edited by Ryanpmb

Copied from tyre thread:

Will normal 29er crest rims work for a cyclocross build

Absolutely no problem.