Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

A similar query was made on a cycling forum sometime ago and this was Stans repsonse:

'The Crest and the Iron Cross both do not work that well with road tires and tubes. They will not work at all with road tubeless tires. On the Crest the smallest I would run would be a 28 but the pressure might be limited by the rim to 80psi.

I would recommend the Alpha 340 as it works with road tires and cross tires.'

Note the query was geared to actual road tyres (higher pressures) not CX tyres which are usually 32 - 45C...

So assuming the majority of the rides will be off road i.e. gravel district roads, I can get away with this combination since I won't need the high pressures required for tar riding?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So assuming the majority of the rides will be off road i.e. gravel district roads, I can get away with this combination since I won't need the high pressures required for tar riding?

That's the way I read it. Equates to around 5.5bar - can't see you going above that off-road.

As noted the instances where the tyre blew off the rims were with tyres smaller than 28C at higher pressures on a tubeless setup.

Edited by Ryanpmb

Anyone here have a SS cyclocross? They are super cool!

Supercool for racing.

As an adventure bike (which most SA 'cx' bikes are used for) not so much.

Edited by Ryanpmb

Supercool for racing.

As an adventure bike (which most SA 'cx' bikes are used for) not so much.

Yeah, i was watching some vids on youtube of the ss cx racing, looks like a lot of fun

Chaps I am thinking about selling my Cotic X. I have posted pics on this thread and the where has your bike taken you today thread and the Cotic thread.

I will put it in the classifieds this weekend. PM me if you are interested.

Hopefully going to convert this guy to a cyclo/monster cross bike again soon.

1993 Diamond Back Apex, Tru-lite Cromo, brushed finish

As you can see the frame has been retrofitted to accommodate disc break. I still have the original fork to match, and that will be getting retrofitted soonish (though I can use a rim brake on the wheels I'll be using).

post-3441-0-46509200-1452855419_thumb.jpg

Have one of these hanging about in the garage. WTB Drop bar

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb3048841/p4pb3048841.jpg

Just need to get a short and higher rise stem, and some linear pull drop bar levers.

For the time being I'll run 26" x 2.2" Halo Twin Rails 

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/product-images-large/halo-twin-rail-dual-compound-tyre-26-x-22-58232.jpg

You will have to post pictures.

pretty please

Not sure it belongs on this thread.

Its not really a cx bike. Or a mtb. Or a road bike.

Not really sure how to classify it. [emoji15]

Do anyone have an idea where I can find a rigid fork for disc brake that wont break the bank?

Straight or tapered steerer?