So where have all the MTB skills gone?

Dicky DQ

In an ideal world - mtb races should be broken up in 4 classes - and seeded accordingly:

When you enter, you state in which of these seeding classes you want/need to be.

A-B: the Fit/Technical superior riders - flying everywhere guys/girls.

C-D: the moderately fit tech riders - slowish climbs, medium on flats, but fun singletrack

E-F: the moderately Fit but tech-disabled - fast climbers, flat sprinters, but singletrack cautious riders.

G-H: The not-so-fit/non-tech riders that want to have a great time, enjoying scenery, honing skills, and not feel massive pressure.  Won't get hurt or hurt anyone else in the process, won't upset faster riders, and will be amongst other riders with the same skill level.

I'm not the fastest rider out there, and surely not in the top 30% for fitness, I see the value in staying out of the way of strong climbers, as that's what they do well and it's just good riding etiquette, but then I expect the same when I start flying on singletracks or rocky sections.

Sure pulling over is sometimes not easy or do-able, but I always say, to people as I catch up on singletrack and I see it is going slow ahead: "Hey; I am behind you, don't worry about it, but if you see a place where you can, please let me jump past".

Only once or twice have I had issues with people flatout refusing, and then I'll recharge my legs and wait for a spot where I can pass and just power past without pushing them off the trail, and give a little 'thanks' smile and chirp.

In racing though - that's how it works in my opinion - you gain in some places and you lose in some places - I don't keep faster riders from gaining where they shine - staying right on hard jeeptrack climbs blocking riders, and then I expect the same level of sportsmanship in return. 

i don't do races because of the hold-ups on the single track, but it's a bit unfair to expect slower less technical riders to stop for everyone who is faster than them to come past. They stop for one oke, but what about the guy behind him and the one behind him, etc, etc..... They will be stopping every 5 minutes.

It's much easier moving over on a jeep track climb than on a narrow single-track descent.

As I said before, my solution - if you're into some single-track loving, don't enter a race.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't do races because of the hold-ups on the single track, but it's a bit unfair to expect slower less technical riders to stop for everyone who is faster than them to come past. They stop for one oke, but what about the guy behind him and the one behind him, etc, etc..... They will be stopping every 5 minutes.

It's much easier moving over on a jeep track climb than on a narrow single-track descent.

As I said before, my solution - if you're into some single-track loving, don't enter a race.

surely it goes both ways? As mtb is not dirt roading - but mountain biking. Mountain being the key word here.

To be fair - loads of excellent singletrack are only open for races - once a year, then to ride it, you have to enter the race.

In an ideal world - mtb races should be broken up in 4 classes - and seeded accordingly:

When you enter, you state in which of these seeding classes you want/need to be.

C-D: the moderately fit tech riders - slowish climbs, medium on flats, but fun singletrack

E-F: the moderately Fit but tech-disabled - fast climbers, flat sprinters, but singletrack cautious riders.

G-H: The not-so-fit/non-tech riders that want to have a great time, enjoying scenery, honing skills, and not feel massive pressure.  Won't get hurt or hurt anyone else in the process, won't upset faster riders, and will be amongst other riders with the same skill level.

I'm not the fastest rider out there, and surely not in the top 30% for fitness, I see the value in staying out of the way of strong climbers, as that's what they do well and it's just good riding etiquette, but then I expect the same when I start flying on singletracks or rocky sections.

Sure pulling over is sometimes not easy or do-able, but I always say, to people as I catch up on singletrack and I see it is going slow ahead: "Hey; I am behind you, don't worry about it, but if you see a place where you can, please let me jump past".

Only once or twice have I had issues with people flatout refusing, and then I'll recharge my legs and wait for a spot where I can pass and just power past without pushing them off the trail, and give a little 'thanks' smile and chirp.

In racing though - that's how it works in my opinion - you gain in some places and you lose in some places - I don't keep faster riders from gaining where they shine - staying right on hard jeeptrack climbs blocking riders, and then I expect the same level of sportsmanship in return. 

I like the idea of seeding yourself. Thats brilliant. If you seed yourself in the wrong group, fellow riders will politely tell you that youre ***, and you should drop down. Brilliant.

I like the idea of seeding yourself. Thats brilliant. If you seed yourself in the wrong group, fellow riders will politely tell you that youre ***, and you should drop down. Brilliant.

I laughed way too hard at this!  :thumbup:

Came out from Ireland to ride the W2W this year with a buddy from here, and was blown away by the same issue as the OP. So many guys and girls fit enough to blow past me uphill ( it's not hard, I'm heavy) but in the amazing single track they were cart horse slow. I learnt my Mtb in SA so it's not a regional thing, but it seems the number of "dirt road cyclists" entering Mtb races is exponentially higher than before I left SA.

Anything that grows the sport is good, but it was the trail etiquette that got me. I politely asked many time for "track please" and the very occasional "rider up" but only a small handful gave space when there was space to be had.

Perhaps more discussion on trail etiquette in the briefings would be helpful

Ask the people who did the Houwhoek Tour how "well" this self-seeding idea works.... People tend to have a very inflated idea of their fitness & technical skills... I promise you 90% of riders will try to start in group A and B. 

I don't see myself as technically very good, but how would I know if I would be able to handle the technical stuff of that race if I haven't done that race before? What if the technical stuff is only in the second half of the race and I as a fit rider have enough opportunity to get a gap between me and the unfit mountain goats to be able to ride it at my own pace?

The seeding system as we have it is going nowhere, if the superior single track riders don't like it work on your fitness because that is easier to improve than your technical skills. Then you don't need to pray the struggling dirtroadie in front of you know it is good etiquette to give track to faster riders...

Guys, please help me out, just how technical are we talking here? As it can be quite a relative term and is quite specific to one's skill set. I, for one need to brush up on my technical skills and it's something I try and work on, often. Being relatively new to mtb'ing, I am yet to enter a race. I generally ride Tokai and am slowly but surely improving, some sections I admittedly avoid as they just freak me out AT PRESENT.

I'm just looking for a point of reference here.

For instance, How big are these drop offs mentioned?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Which sections?

It would be interesting to see if they match up with the bits that freak me out.

Well, currently I do Faerie Garden (doesn't count I guess), My Roots up and MY Rocks in the way DOWN, Lizard, Boulders, All the snake trails (starting with Mamba) , with the exception of Cobra , which right now I just gaze at - still need to have a look at it though :blush:

Vasbyt from the top

I "tried" the switchbacks once and decided I need to work on my switchback skills!

Well, currently I do Faerie Garden (doesn't count I guess), My Roots up and MY Rocks in the way DOWN, Lizard, Boulders, All the snake trails (starting with Mamba) , with the exception of Cobra , which right now I just gaze at - still need to have a look at it though :blush:

Vasbyt from the top

I "tried" the switchbacks once and decided I need to work on my switchback skills!

The question is - how many times do you tap out?

No switchbacks - no skills.

Try Switchbacks - much easier nowadays has been turned into a flow trail - eesy peezy!

Not sure I follow you?

Deciphering the code - I think he means "unclip and put your foot on the ground" :-). Cobra is a scary track right now - the rocks are sticking out better than ever and a slack bike with lots of travel makes it much easier. 

Have a read up or watch a video on switchbacks. Its really just a tight corner with some added scare factors like ruts, a steep slope to fall down, a steep descent in the corner or a few rocks or all of them. Practice riding and turning very slowly on the flat - perfect your balance first, then do the same on a the trail. I find my wide bars help a lot at very slow speeds. Start wide and focus only on riding the corner and where you want to go - the rest is just noise.

Not sure I follow you?

First tip of the day, never get forced in to the gutter, it's normally hard getting out and following anyone .

Well I guess at least this way we wont have anyone moaning about their seeding again.  :whistling:

I went and re-evaluated my stance on this thread.

Skills can not be practiced, nor inherited, it has nothing to do with coming first or last or points from judges.

It has everything to do with Stravaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!

I went and re-evaluated my stance on this thread.

Skills can not be practiced, nor inherited, it has nothing to do with coming first or last or points from judges.

It has everything to do with Stravaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!

post-11311-0-35935700-1417516673_thumb.jpg

Deciphering the code - I think he means "unclip and put your foot on the ground" :-). Cobra is a scary track right now - the rocks are sticking out better than ever and a slack bike with lots of travel makes it much easier. 

Have a read up or watch a video on switchbacks. Its really just a tight corner with some added scare factors like ruts, a steep slope to fall down, a steep descent in the corner or a few rocks or all of them. Practice riding and turning very slowly on the flat - perfect your balance first, then do the same on a the trail. I find my wide bars help a lot at very slow speeds. Start wide and focus only on riding the corner and where you want to go - the rest is just noise.

Thanks, what I battle with is more my weight displacement, get the feeling I'm going to fall down the slope! :eek:

Archived