[Event] 99er Cycle Tour & MTB Challenge 2015

Ninetyniner Durbanville

I think the 99'er is tougher than the "August"!

I agree.  99'er is much tougher imo.  The open roads and no short routes plays a big role in the Argus.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished in 2:38... at 99er race

I Would be more than happy with 2h 50 somehing in the Argus

So I would say, add at least 10min

Just so BTW,

How does 99er times compare to Argus times, yes I know there are a million variable's. :ph34r:

But just an average comparison, nothing concrete. :thumbup:

I've found that my Argus / 99er times are always pretty close to each other.  So this should be a good indication of your Argus time.  This year route distances and climbing of the two races are very similar.  Of course, yesterdays weather was perfect - so that will come into play.  But then again you have 3 or 4 more weeks of training to before the Argus to improve  :ph34r:

I managed a PB by 20 minutes, 3h20m for me! 

Had a great day, many thanks to who ever was pulling J along! Didn't win the pool again sadly, next year.

A quick side note to the event organizers. If you are going to do a lucky draw you should only allow people to put in there numbers just before it takes place, otherwise half the people who entered are gone by the time it starts.

I have a 28, definately helped, but any speed under 12kmh and the cadence is horrible.

I have a 28 as well but going up vissershok in some type of rhythm is almost impossible with all the pedestrians. There was simply no space. Too many riders from the 64km and 108km trying to climb and the majority walking in the middle of the road. I had 3 near collisions with people doing weird things. One was a mtnbiker from the 64km road that was spinning in his granny gear but going from left to right without any control by the looks of it. Spinned right into my path - was not happy. I saw a guy cycle into the ditch on the left going up vissershok. Not sure what happened there...

I saw a guy cycle into the ditch on the left going up vissershok. Not sure what happened there...

Sorry, but I laughed.  :clap: 

I think the 99'er is tougher than the "August"!

CTCT is longer and has more ascent and more South-Easter as a coastal race

:-)

Interesting debate. Maybe we can get some data from those that have done both on a number of occasions? And yes, variables like weather conditions will be there...

Argus is marginally longer and has about 100m extra climbing. One also cannot discount the vibe and support that comes with the Argus, this definitely plays a role.

Seeing that Simon Geschke(WORLD TOUR RIDER - Racetec take note) won, I didnt think they would adjust the winners time by almost 4 Minutes. Ah well  :rolleyes:

post-56676-0-39787000-1423476769_thumb.jpg

The 2013 99er winning time was about 5 minutes slower than the 2013 & 2014 Argus winning times

This year's winning time is about 10 minutes faster than in 2013

So I would say you can add about 5 to 10 minutes to your 99er time for a rough guestimate (if you are a sub 4 rider)

Interesting comparison,.depends alot on start group in Argus

2013 I started B group for 99er and Argus CT

99er time 3:18

Argus time 19min faster

Not sure how to explain that

I managed a PB by 20 minutes, 3h20m for me! 

Had a great day, many thanks to who ever was pulling J along! Didn't win the pool again sadly, next year.

A quick side note to the event organizers. If you are going to do a lucky draw you should only allow people to put in there numbers just before it takes place, otherwise half the people who entered are gone by the time it starts.

I think 2pm was to late for lucky draw. Wanted to stay around but the time to wait and the heat made that I left at about 12.30pm. Maybe 1pm would have been a better option?

yeah, and then there's the issue as to whether this year's 99'er time will have a bearing on seeding for THIS or next year's Argus seeding.

Interesting comparison,.depends alot on start group in Argus

2013 I started B group for 99er and Argus CT

99er time 3:18

Argus time 19min faster

Not sure how to explain that

You trained harder in the build up to the latter

Archived