Scammer alert for Gumtree sellers

Re::Cycling

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham Lewis (aka George Lewis) must really love his cousin.

He apparently wants to buy a dining table from me .....for his Cousin. NOT!!!

Ps. Dude be more creative, buy something for the Missus next time😂😉🤔

Here is his contact info if anyone else want to sell Graham something for his Cousin;

+27 61 643 2845 glewis127@yahoo.com

Screenshot_20220226-005741_Gmail.jpg

20220216_144845.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 4:41 PM, faffa said:

glewis127@yahoo.com 

he wanted to buy my bike. lets see if he will scam you the same way. have fun!

he is still at it seems.... 

received this message today

I am interested in the bike. Please get back to me via email at  glewis127@yahoo.com looking forward to your response

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Quick update. Graham Justin Lewis is still going strong🤣. Same script, same ***. He is now using Skrill for payment options. Skrill is a legitimate Fund service. He asks you to create an account so that he can pay you. He still says that you need to pay the courier through Shoprite first but will add the extra costs to the payment. Then he says he has paid and sends you fake Skrill email transaction details. In this email it says the funds are temporarily on hold until you upload proof of payment for Shoprite. He also sent me a "copy of his ID". I will add some screenshots shortly. 

current email address: glewis127@yahoo.com

He used whatsapp originally then switched over to email: +27680082535
Not sure if he saw my advert from BikeHub, FB marketplace or Gumtree.

Screenshot 2022-10-05 075234.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-05 075218.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-05 075159.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-05 075049.jpg

Edited by Josh Davimes
Update - ID pic removed

17 minutes ago, Josh Davimes said:

Quick update. Graham Justin Lewis is still going strong🤣. Same script, same ***. He is now using Skrill for payment options. Skrill is a legitimate Fund service. He asks you to create an account so that he can pay you. He still says that you need to pay the courier through Shoprite first but will add the extra costs to the payment. Then he says he has paid and sends you fake Skrill email transaction details. In this email it says the funds are temporarily on hold until you upload proof of payment for Shoprite. He also sent me a "copy of his ID". I will add some screenshots shortly. 

GJL ID.jpg

The fonts/typefaces some of these guys use on their fake I.D’s 🤣. Do you even MSpaint? Same with bank POP’s. They are seasoned skelms but such rookies when it comes to the things that matter haha.

Numpties. 

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, Josh Davimes said:

GJL ID.jpg

Not sure if posting the ID is a good idea. Admin might remove it who knows maybe it is stollen and now some oke has his ID posted on a scammers thread. 

6 minutes ago, Barry said:

Not sure if posting the ID is a good idea. Admin might remove it who knows maybe it is stollen and now some oke has his ID posted on a scammers thread. 

It is a fake ID.

9 minutes ago, Josh Davimes said:

Definitely fake, but I will remove just in case. Thanks

Maybe @Matt can advise as the ID is part of the scam and good info to know when vetting potential buyer's. 

3 hours ago, Josh Davimes said:

@Josh Davimes Thanks for sharing. I can confirm that "Graham" didn't contact you via your Bike Hub advert.

47 minutes ago, Barry said:

Maybe @Matt can advise as the ID is part of the scam and good info to know when vetting potential buyer's. 

As a general rule we'd advise against sharing ID documents and ID numbers to avoid falling foul of POPI. It's also very unlikely that any scammer uses their actual ID, but rather either a fake or they use the ID of some innocent third party.

In cases like these we find the most useful information to share is the scammer's current alias and phone number. 

When deals are done using Bike Hub Pay we do verify the ID info of both the buyer and seller. 

22 minutes ago, Matt said:

@Josh Davimes Thanks for sharing. I can confirm that "Graham" didn't contact you via your Bike Hub advert.

As a general rule we'd advise against sharing ID documents and ID numbers to avoid falling foul of POPI. It's also very unlikely that any scammer uses their actual ID, but rather either a fake or they use the ID of some innocent third party.

In cases like these we find the most useful information to share is the scammer's current alias and phone number. 

When deals are done using Bike Hub Pay we do verify the ID info of both the buyer and seller. 

Thanks very much for the confirmation and details. Much appreciated. Josh

• 2 months later...

So😌 it all began by me selling a fridge on gumtree...then a message came in. I was like ohhh a sale then I was like naawww whats happening here anyways before I replied I read the message again. Now why did he ask for me to email when he has my number??? So then I went to my best friend 'Truecaller' and realised someone wrote 'fake and lies' in his name and I was like woaw wtf ..then I continued to search this name on google until I came across this website and after reading the comments and reviews I had to create a account just to show you....yes, you guest it! He is still at it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for the help guys!!

Now should I play long or no??Screenshot_20230106_153158_WhatsApp.jpg.712ec3e1682837f30b9253dcbb920ed7.jpgScreenshot_20230106_154428_Truecaller.jpg.ce6cb11d28055b6d7c8ecdd30f19e5bd.jpg

Graham's cousin?

Good Day! Please do still have your BICYCLE?Will it be possible to mail me back on barendatitus@gmail.com or whatsapp(0631727110) if you don't mind! Barend

CTRL-C, CTRL-P: the email could be for any item for sale 

Barend.A Titus <barendatitus@gmail.com>

Good day and also accept my apology for the late response, I am   Barend Titus Impey by name from Welkom in the Free State. My sincere apology for the late response! I'm interested in the purchase for my Daughter as (Promised) but the purchase is a surprise gift, if only you can assure me it is in good condition! Please be kind enough to send more pictures if you have and what is your final price? Please be informed that I will be using a Pickup agent to help with the collection due to my current location because I worked as a private chef but presently out of the country on a business purpose. I have read through the ad and I'm totally satisfied with it. Please be rest assured that pickup will only be done once I have paid you and you are fully happy to withdraw your funds all out of your bank account, then we will now be scheduling for the pickup arrangement. If I may ask, would it be possible for the pickup to be scheduled during the week?