Scammer alert for Gumtree sellers

Re::Cycling

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I would try and strike up a conversation with my friend Adam again....

If he doesent take those shorts can I have dibs on them? :clap:

Wait, how does he scam you with a pay fast account?

no idea .... not keen to find out either.

Anyway ... he has been ignoring me, so I have set up a new email addy ... Inura Buhm ....say that fast, I dare you :P

Literally just had another scammer contact me about a Gumtree item, mere minutes ago. These are usually identified by people offering to buy stuff they have never seen straight away without even trying to bargain on the price. The offer you what you're asking straight away and usually want to collect on the same day. This is already a red flag, unless you're selling an Xbox for R5.75.

Secondly they'll ask who you bank with, then ALWAYS end up banking with someone else. That way they use the fact that settlement will only occur the next day as an excuse for you not seeing the money in your account after they "pay". They'll even send you a pretty POP to show that they've paid, and once they've sent that, they'll immediately want to collect. If you just mention that you "won't be home tonight so might have to postpone it till tomorrow" or something along those lines, they'll either become aggressive stating that they need it now and that they've already paid you, or just ghost you and stop responding to your messages/calls/etc.

I told my latest scammer that I bank with FNB, to which he responded that he banks with Absa. I then mentioned that I also have an Absa account which he can use instead, after which he fell silent and never responded again. Check mate :)

The convo, for your enjoyment:

[14:27, 9/26/2017] : Good day
[14:28, 9/26/2017] : Iam keen to purchase the sound system
[14:28, 9/26/2017] : Regards kevin
[14:28, 9/26/2017] : Hi Kevin
[14:28, 9/26/2017] : Where are you based?
[14:29, 9/26/2017] : Iam based in sea point currently in saldanha with work but can arrange with my cousin to meet up with you on my behalf
[14:29, 9/26/2017] : His name is Allan
[14:29, 9/26/2017] : Are you able to meet up today
[14:29, 9/26/2017] : Let me know
[14:30, 9/26/2017] : I'm at work unfortunately, but he's welcome to come collect them at my house this afternoon? I get home around 18h00
[14:31, 9/26/2017] : That's where the speakers are located as well.
[14:33, 9/26/2017] : Ok cool
[14:33, 9/26/2017] : Will get him to contact you to set up a meeting
[14:35, 9/26/2017] : Cool stuff no problem. Are you going to pay him directly and then just have him bring cash along?
[14:38, 9/26/2017] : He does not have cash with
[14:38, 9/26/2017] : I will be able to pay via eft
[14:39, 9/26/2017] : On what bank are you with
[14:41, 9/26/2017] : I am with FNB
[14:44, 9/26/2017] : Ok cool
[14:44, 9/26/2017] : Are you able to send me the banking details please so that we can conclude the purchase
[14:44, 9/26/2017] : Who do you bank with?
[14:49, 9/26/2017] : With absa
[14:49, 9/26/2017] : Will be able to do the payment and send proof of payment same time once effect payment
[14:49, 9/26/2017] : Awesome, I have an Absa account as well which will probably work better.
[14:50, 9/26/2017] : That way the funds will reflect immediately. If you pay from Absa to FNB, it will take a day to reflect.
[15:01, 9/26/2017] : Ok cool
[15:03, 9/26/2017] : Awesome. That way you won't have to do a costly immediate interbank payment, so as soon as the money reflects in my account, you're welcome to have your cousin contact me for collection.
[15:16, 9/26/2017] : Ok cool
[15:16, 9/26/2017] : Will do the payment once you meet up
[15:17, 9/26/2017] : Are you able to send me the fnb banking details please
[15:19, 9/26/2017] : If you are with Absa, it would make more sense to send those details. If I send the FNB details, the payment will take 24 hours to take effect meaning that you would have to make the payment today in order for him to be able to collect tomorrow. If you make the payment to the Absa account instead, the payment should only take an hour or so to reflect. Either way, you will have to complete the payment prior to meeting up, seeing as neither of those scenarios will result in money immediately reflecting in my account, and I will obviously not release the goods to whoever's collecting until I see the money available in my account.
[15:20, 9/26/2017] : Iam thinking of doing the payment from our copmany account
[15:20, 9/26/2017] : They are fnb
[15:21, 9/26/2017] : Cause got 7600 which this company owe me
[15:22, 9/26/2017] : So will your company be doing the transfer today still?The transfer will have to have taken place prior to collection, meaning your company would have to make that payment in the next hour in order to still be able to collect tonight.
[15:58, 9/26/2017] : Yes they will be doing the transfer today
[16:00, 9/26/2017] : Kevin, for the sake of both of our time, I should come clean. I've been working in the banking and payments industry for more than 10 years now. I have seen everything you can imagine in terms of payment scams, and having seen so much of it over the years I have learned a thing or two about the general theme and flow of conversation when these proposals come around. Let's be honest for a second. Your name is not Kevin. It's nothing close to Kevin. It's most likely a lot closer to something like Nqobile. You are not a South African national, and the number you are using is one of many prepaid accounts reserved specifically for contacting unsuspecting sellers off Gumtree that you select based on items sold that are easily transportable and easy to get rid of. You constantly reflect as online yet take so long to respond because you are having the same conversation with a whole lot of other sellers at the same time, some of which will unfortunately not be as experienced as I am and in the process lose a lot of money by falling for the fake proof of purchase you were going to send me right before insisting on collecting the goods today still, before the funds would have cleared, thus meaning that by tomorrow when the funds haven't cleared and I no longer have my speakers, you would have disappeared and I would have been R4,500 poorer. You initially lost your poker face when your grammar started slipping when I led you outside of the parameters of your usual conversation, meaning that English is not your first language though with a name like Kevin, you would expect it to be. That together with immediately being willing to purchase an item this costly without viewing it, not trying to negotiate, being willing to perform an EFT of said large sum to someone you don't know within the first minutes of a conversation and insisting that you make the transfer upon meeting up suggests an ulterior motive that's throwing red flags all over the place. So for the sake of avoiding all that nastiness, even if it's just for me, let's just assume that the speakers have been sold and are no longer available. I'm not in a hurry to sell, and you are not worth the risk.
[16:06, 9/26/2017] : I cant understand this long story
[16:09, 9/26/2017] : I imagined that you might not.

Aaaaand crickets... :D
Edited by FrikkieMeyer87

Literally just had another scammer contact me about a Gumtree item, mere minutes ago. These are usually identified by people offering to buy stuff they have never seen straight away without even trying to bargain on the price. The offer you what you're asking straight away and usually want to collect on the same day. This is already a red flag, unless you're selling an Xbox for R5.75.

Secondly they'll ask who you bank with, then ALWAYS end up banking with someone else. That way they use the fact that settlement will only occur the next day as an excuse for you not seeing the money in your account after they "pay". They'll even send you a pretty POP to show that they've paid, and once they've sent that, they'll immediately want to collect. If you just mention that you "won't be home tonight so might have to postpone it till tomorrow" or something along those lines, they'll either become aggressive stating that they need it now and that they've already paid you, or just ghost you and stop responding to your messages/calls/etc.

I told my latest scammer that I bank with FNB, to which he responded that he banks with Absa. I then mentioned that I also have an Absa account which he can use instead, after which he fell silent and never responded again. Check mate :)

please send me a PM with his email addy and the add .... could be fun playing with him

• 1 month later...

I just got this one:

I am really interested in buying this for my cousin as a surprise for him, only if you can assure me that everything is in order, I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore I really want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with it. It will be secured paying via Skrill as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Skrill so I can make the payment asap. Note well: Pick up agent will come for the pickup as soon as I have made the payment.

He operates under:

richardsonadam2010@gmail.com

+27 61 011 7823

I just got this one:

I am really interested in buying this for my cousin as a surprise for him, only if you can assure me that everything is in order, I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore I really want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with it. It will be secured paying via Skrill as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Skrill so I can make the payment asap. Note well: Pick up agent will come for the pickup as soon as I have made the payment.

He operates under:

richardsonadam2010@gmail.com

+27 61 011 7823

sounds like the same scumbag

I am busy playing with him at the moment .......... he contacted a friend who's bike is up for sale on Gumtree .... this is the story:

he went to all the trouble of:

forging an ID that corresponds with an email address

using someone else's ID and setting up an email address

or he really is adam richardson.