Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

Busy looking for a tv box to buy for my Kodi, so that I can use it on my main tv. Is there any specific brand or type I should get, or doesn't it matter?

Or Is there a hubber that wants to sell (give away for free :w00t: ) one that he isn't using? :whistling:  :ph34r:

I bought the Amazon Fire TV. It is mind blowingly good. The Fire Stick is half the price and has the same functionality without the micro SD card reader, the HDMI out or the RJ45 ethernet input. It just plugs into a USB port on the TV.

The remote is the same for both but the Fire TV accommodates a mouse and keyboard.

Fire TV $89.99 Stick $39.99 amazon fire tv and stick

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running an MXQPro Android box with Kodi, RedBull TV and UKTVNOW loaded and I am very happy. I paired that with a Rii i8+ Backlit wireless keyboard and I couldn't be happier.

I bought the Amazon Fire TV. It is mind blowingly good. The Fire Stick is half the price and has the same functionality without the micro SD card reader, the HDMI out or the RJ45 ethernet input. It just plugs into a USB port on the TV.

The remote is the same for both but the Fire TV accommodates a mouse and keyboard.

Fire TV $89.99 Stick $39.99 amazon fire tv and stick

1) What did it cost you in Rands to land it in RSA?

2) Is the below not an issue?

There's a big drawback to the Amazon Fire TV though, and that's its exclusive use of Amazon's own marketplace for installing apps. This means that in order to install Kodi you have to perform a process known as 'side-loading'.

Busy looking for a tv box to buy for my Kodi, so that I can use it on my main tv. Is there any specific brand or type I should get, or doesn't it matter?

Or Is there a hubber that wants to sell (give away for free :w00t: ) one that he isn't using? :whistling:  :ph34r:

I use an old laptop i had lying around. It replaced the space my decoder took up and works perfectly. I then use the Kore remote app om my cell phone to navigate Kodi

IMO min spec for an Android box to be Quad Core, 2GB DDR, 8GB memory (preferable 16GB)

Edited by shaper

1) What did it cost you in Rands to land it in RSA?

2) Is the below not an issue?

There's a big drawback to the Amazon Fire TV though, and that's its exclusive use of Amazon's own marketplace for installing apps. This means that in order to install Kodi you have to perform a process known as 'side-loading'.

I paid $70 on black friday, my daughter was in the US so she brought it back. Don't tell Lexx.

I loaded kodi from the micro SD card using ES File Explorer which I so called side loaded, it really isn't an issue. I think it was a case of going to settings and allowing developer mode. I sideloaded BBC iPlayer, ITV and a few others but once kodi loaded I just use it to load within kodi.

I still like having the BBC and ITV stuff even though available in kodi as it is easier to just click on 1 icon and watch than navigating through kodi.

The native stuff on Fire TV works really well, much better than on kodi, so now I have to decide to pay for Hulu and Netflix and get convenience for my $ or watch for free on kodi and wait a short while for it to load.

I went for the Fire TV rather than another android box purely for the reliability of the amazon brand name. I'm sure there are better units available for the same money.

IMO min spec for an Android box to be Quad Core, 2GB DDR, 8GB memory (preferable 16GB)

Nice thing about the fire tv is the micro SD card slot. I put a 32gb card in there. But I don't know how it benefits me as I haven't yet worked out how to download rather than stream.

Nice thing about the fire tv is the micro SD card slot. I put a 32gb card in there. But I don't know how it benefits me as I haven't yet worked out how to download rather than stream.

Most android boxes come with a micro SD slot should you wish to increase storage as well as USB ports for plugging in an external HDD, the 8GN memory is onboard solid state EMMC flash which makes for fast running/operating

i use a second system for downloading, currently have a MXQ pro 4K mediabox for streaming and watching, and a Raspberry pi setup as NAS Using Externals HDD for Storage with Transmission and Sonarr for downloading. works great, hassle free system

I don't get the Amazon worldwide roll out if they not willing to sell the firestick to S-A....

i dont think we feature much in their calculations of "worldwide" rollout

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly people are getting gatvol and starting to vote with their wallets. Multichoice will eventually feel the pain.

I personally kicked them to the curb over a year ago, kicked Telkom and Vodacom too. I refuse to sign contracts with large businesses that bully. I pay for services monthly. If I feel I'm not getting a good deal, I go elsewhere. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk