Caravaning and Camping.

Mousea

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had one t(w)o(o) many bad experiences when doing the camp thing in a camping spot.

Why go through that misery when you can stay in a nice yummy chalet at the same place.

Hiking and carrying a tent and going into the gamadoola's, now that is different, unless of course there is a chalet there ;)

Wayne often wondered about a "mobile Home"

Is it not a pain if you decide you need to pop into town.

Pack everything up go to town, unpack ?

We don't pack anything. Leave chairs and tables out to reserve the camping spot, just a matter of retracting the awning and we are gone ;-)

does hiking count?

my profile pic

post-7169-0-45379000-1422648097_thumb.jpg

and camping in karkloof over the xmas hols...although those tents are hopeless and I need to replace it with a canvas one

10409282_10153016866331340_3110174299988

Edited by Stretch

I have 2 basic camping set-ups. This is for travelling in places with dangerous animals or when we do long distance overland driving and many short stops. Setting up the roof top tent camp takes 15 minutes from stopping to having the fire burning and G&T in hand. The essence of this set-up is functionality and simplicity.

post-17716-0-81766500-1422683218_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Set-up no. 2 is the ground tent camp. We use this mostly when we stay in one place for a bit longer. This one was at the Dirtopia festival a few years back. It takes about 30 minutes to set up and strike. When the wife comes along it tends to become a bit more elaborate. When it is just the boys, it stays simple. With both set-ups we can be totally self reliant with power, water and ablutions. 

post-17716-0-87336200-1422683371_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

I have 2 basic camping set-ups. This is for travelling in places with dangerous animals or when we do long distance overland driving and many short stops. Setting up the roof top tent camp takes 15 minutes from stopping to having the fire burning and G&T in hand. The essence of this set-up is functionality and simplicity.

Now I have a question for these setups. With a rooftop tent are you not vulnerable to elephants and big cats still?

My business partner has just finished building himself a camping trailer from scratch..I should get some photos and post them up here

Now I have a question for these setups. With a rooftop tent are you not vulnerable to elephants and big cats still?

The simple answer is no.

Even with ground tents you are fairly safe, the last time I remember anyone being taken from a tent was years back when a teenager fell asleep half in and half out of his tent. When closed they see the tent as part of the landscape.

You are relatively safe both on the ground and on the roof, but I FEEL a lot safer on the roof especially with hyena around at night. More so when you have young children. With elephant I never feel safe, but they are very unlikely to give you any trouble, unless you keep food in your tent, especially citrus fruit. In dangerous game areas the NO FOOD IN THE TENT rule gets enforced big time when I camp. Camp set-up and proximity of cover makes a big difference too. No rubbish to attract scavengers, no dirty dishes. Food in fridge. Your own actions after dark, also play a huge role in safety. No walking around outside the fire circle, always use a bright flash light. Keep pepper spray handy. Once in your tent, stay there until next morning, pee in a bottle..... Safety is not just about the tent.

My Camping and "load shedding" Gizmo

A 12v energy saving globe 15 W

an outside globe holder

a length of coex cable

a lamp switch

and small battery calmps "Crocodile clips"

Works from the car battery or an alarm battery

Total cost to make Mmmmm less than R 160

Works like a charm

post-56240-0-91004800-1422721304_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Campgrounds are increasingly  including mtb in their facilities description. It would be useful for camping Hubbers to let us know if the camp they stayed has created mtb routes (or not) and what they are like. I will create a listing for reference if enough dope/ er ...data comes in.

Also include tips on how you carry bikes if you tow a big trailer or caravan, how do you secure bikes overnight when you camp, what do you camp in and vehicle you tow with etc.

From my side:

• Port O Call in Trafalgar, KZN south coast. Fantastic camp, stunning beach but no bikes allowed. The Port Edward mtb trails are 15km away. The main coast road has a reasonable shoulder to support road rides.
  • Rocky Bay - KZN south coast. No beach, lekker social camp and heaps of mtb trails (up to 40km) from the camp. Nice area for road ride too.
  • Salt Rock KZN north coast. OK beach (very coarse sand)Bikes allowed. A short drive away from the enormous Holla trails area.
  • Kruger Park camps: Letaba say no bikes but lots of kids riding around this past long weekend./ Berg en Dal - bikes allowed/ Skukuza - no bikes and has crazy traffic
  • Forever Resorts Swadini in east Limpopo; Bikes allowed. Arrange 4 mtb races each year. Some road riding in the valley (approx 30 km out and back) but avoid the main road to Hoedspruit which is narrow and trucked heavily.
  • ATKV Die Eiland in Limpopo. A huge resort! MTB encouraged in large resort area with an annual mtb race as well as an 80km road race on the 40km access road.
  • Mountain Splendour in KZN DRakensberg. Nice camp with lots of activities. Bike route for kids and very unfit parents. Otherwise excellent out and back road ride on the access road.
  • Bushwillow Caravan Park in the Karkloof valley. Lovely secluded park. Lots of gravel road riding out from the camp and the Karkloof mtb trails are a mere 5km away.
  • Midmar dam public resort in KZN. Heaps of camping space but the resort is a dump, boasts really *** ablutions, high noise factor from irresponsible campers and has poor security. Near to the Howick trail network.
  • Mankele Bike Park. Mpumalanga. Pure mtb heaven in a lovely setting and reasonable camp for the activity of cycling.

I love Mankele

Situated in the heart of Mpumalanga at the foot of the escarpment. With beautiful surroundings of tropical forests, open grass lands, rivers, dams, ravines, mountains and breath taking views.

We dont have a rooftop and have always camped on the ground in either a 3 man hiking tent or the 3m canvas dome tent.Never felt threatened by lion,hyena or ellies.

Had them in and around the campsite often and just gone back to sleep

Its fine

No food in the tents and keep them closed