Ironman 70.3 Durban

JScottP

Anyone know if there will even be a TRIROCK 2015? I cant find it advertised on the web.

Or has 70.3 hijacked it completely off the Calendar?

Hope Tri Rock still happens - as October in my opinion is just a better date

That being said I fear for Tri Rock Durban

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Logistical miracle when another company (Tri Rock) has pulled it off two years in a row...

Mmmm...you misunderstand. But I see the verdict is out on this race already.

It will be a great race. Just expensive.

My question is, has TSA done the sport a dis-service by allowing the big guy to muscle in on the little guy. We want more little guys building new interesting races. It would be boring if they were all the same. Little guys who take the risk should be nurtured to grow their races. That is better for the sport in the long term.

As for my assumption on the TriRock course, I recall it being mentioned that M4 is the cycle route. I cannot think of any other viable route for the cycle. Besides the M4 is newly tarred and so smoooooooth....if they find another cycle route, great for them and I will eat my words.

I made the statement that i think it will be held on the M4. This is purely my guess as it boasts the best road and scenic views. As for IM70.3 stealing the Tri Rock course, why don't you blame Tri Rock for stealing the course from Tour Durban who has used the M4 for decades now?

Fact remains, as an entrant you want the best conditions no matter which brand of sport you are supporting, so if the M4 is the best , as an organiser you would be stupid not to use it!! or is that just my stupid logic?

If Durban is as well organized as the East London event (barring the expo which was lacking in substance) it is worth every penny.

The race is a logistical miracle. Profits due for work put in.

That is a space issue not lack of effort or even lack of willing exhibitors. There is no other venue close to registration that can host anything bigger ....

Edited by JGR

I made the statement that i think it will be held on the M4. This is purely my guess as it boasts the best road and scenic views. As for IM70.3 stealing the Tri Rock course, why don't you blame Tri Rock for stealing the course from Tour Durban who has used the M4 for decades now?

Fact remains, as an entrant you want the best conditions no matter which brand of sport you are supporting, so if the M4 is the best , as an organiser you would be stupid not to use it!! or is that just my stupid logic?

Forgive my ignorance - but is Tour Durban also a half iron man distance event?

So get a message from my wife, this after doing her first IM in EL a few weeks back..

"Hi love, so I 'accidentally' entered IM70.3 in Durban in Aug, can we book flights and accom soon?"

Well no ja... 

Other than it being announced this Friday, any ideas as to where transition might be? And route...

So get a message from my wife, this after doing her first IM in EL a few weeks back..

"Hi love, so I 'accidentally' entered IM70.3 in Durban in Aug, can we book flights and accom soon?"

Well no ja... 

Other than it being announced this Friday, any ideas as to where transition might be? And route...

Now that is beautiful, some positiveness  :thumbup: 

Logistical miracle when another company (Tri Rock) has pulled it off two years in a row?

I don't have anything against tri-rock.  I did tri rock Durban last year and i have entered cradle next weekend.  However, their organisation skills are lacking.....and is far behind IronMan events.  The kiddies and ladies events in Durban were poorly organised.  Both events started very late...and there was nothing to drink for the ladies on their run.  Not event to mention the fact that they could not put up signs to registration/expo.  Basic things. 

For cradle we dont have any information....still waiting for updated info.  No mention of any nutrition, drinks that are availble on the course....except for a product that they announced today that i have never heard of.

Yes, i agree R2500 is alot....especially if you are a husband and wife doing the event like us....but you know what to expect and what you get.

I dont have an issue if it is the same route as Tri rock (which surely it wont be identical), as long is it is well organised.

I entered last night, will be my first major tri event... not bothered if its the same as trirock, didnt do it so course will be new to me...

I guess at R2500, u pay for the international brand and hope for the international service and organisation...

IM SO AMPED!!

Quick question, I'm doing the Jock Cycle Tour 2 weeks before this, good/bad idea attempting this? My running should be ok by then, waiting for hockey season to start to get back in the swing of things and will maintain the training I'm doing for the Midmar. I just don't know if I will be recovered in time for the 70.3?

The Iron Man, buy the way, what is the correct term, this half story always confuse me? Full Iron Man, Real IM, properse IM or just IM?

Anyway...

The IM was a week after the Epic last year and I know a couple of oaks that completed both.

Not familiar with the Jock Tour tough.

2 weeks should be plenty to recover.

Okay, so after working at 70.3 EL for the past 4 years I bit the bullet and decided to enter for the DBN event.

Doing 36One in April so cycling base should be fine, need to start running again and get used to water.

The Iron Man, buy the way, what is the correct term, this half story always confuse me? Full Iron Man, Real IM, properse IM or just IM?

Anyway...

The IM was a week after the Epic last year and I know a couple of oaks that completed both.

Not familiar with the Jock Tour tough.

2 weeks should be plenty to recover.

Not too sure myself hey...

Ok cool, thanks for the info.