loadshedding

Matchstix

what i find really AMAZING, is that capetonians have been able to reduce their water levels by inconveniencing themselves just a little bit.

this loadshedding could be totally avoidable if all non-essential power was cut during evening peak.

ie. no washing machine/geyser/dishwasher just for hours of 5-8pm. That is much easier to do than carry buckets of water to flush your loo.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what i find really AMAZING, is that capetonians have been able to reduce their water levels by inconveniencing themselves just a little bit.

this loadshedding could be totally avoidable if all non-essential power was cut during evening peak.

ie. no washing machine/geyser/dishwasher just for hours of 5-8pm. That is much easier to do than carry buckets of water to flush your loo.

People work and get home at 6pm. You need to do laundry, feed and clean your family etc in peak times. What I find amazing is the sudden loadshedding every time NERSA gives Eskom the middle finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thing is, this is not loadshedding just because demand exceeds Eskom's generating capacity. This is being caused by Striking workers who sabotage the plants and trip generating units on purpose. Add to this the intimidation of fellow workers who would normally run and repair these units and you find yourself in the situation we do now.

We can moan, which won't achieve much, or we should brace ourselves for the future. I am looking to set up some basic power backup system with deep cycle batteries and an inverter to see me through a load shedding cycle with lights and alarm system still operational. But long term I will move to self sufficiency from solar.

People work and get home at 6pm. You need to do laundry, feed and clean your family etc in peak times. What I find amazing is the sudden loadshedding every time NERSA gives Eskom the middle finger.

ja, that is exactly why it is peak time. You could set the wachine machine to go later, you can switch the geyser off and use the hot water that is in it etc etc.

my point is...

"no rain, no water the dams are going to be empty" - let's do something about it.

"loadshedding" - ESKOM's fault, nothing i can do about it but follow the schedule

ja, that is exactly why it is peak time. You could set the wachine machine to go later, you can switch the geyser off and use the hot water that is in it etc etc.

my point is...

"no rain, no water the dams are going to be empty" - let's do something about it.

"loadshedding" - ESKOM's fault, nothing i can do about it but follow the schedule

With the last round I installed solar geysers and I have a basic inverter/ deep cycle battery backup for essentials, so it does not affect me as much as it may affect others. Now there are reports doing the rounds that the state of emergency was exaggerated last time to allow procurement processes to be circumvented to buy coal at grossly inflated prices from the Guptas.

I am skeptical about the sudden load shedding as a result.

Just for interest sake: is there a report of the extent of the damages caused by protesters? The Unions claim that they only picketed at offices and that they did not damage property/infrastructure.

Perhaps we’ll see a revised Nuclear deal being tabled in the next few weeks?

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

And while we're providing electricity now to Zambia as well as to Zim.

:cursing:

they probably pay better than we do. if i was eskom i would also keep supplying those that pay their bills rather than those that dont...

What do they care if users don't pay the bills? They just get a bailout and apply for higher  prices.

This is all driven by ideology, not business rules.

From Business Day:

The first load-shedding in more than six months came on the day the cabinet is due to deliberate on the Integrated Resource Plan (IRP), the government’s long-term planning strategy to meet electricity demand.