Exclusive: 2016 Momsen VIPA Trail Prototype

Iwan Kemp

Which means Geo will probably be very similar to The Following........ :thumbup:

Might just be interested if so.

Any word on travel allowed, within warranty, up front?

The Following is not the worst comparison. If you're looking at the travel (at this stage) and think Camber, one up yourself and think Camber Evo. 

Up front will be okay'ed for 120-140mm (You REALLY don't like reading do you?!  :D )

Gah! So not comparable to a thunderbolt at all then.

Colour me disappointed.

Thunderbolt being 27.5 I should color you confused! Seriously though, in term of ethos they may not be that far apart. 

BUT, I'm voicing my opinion here and by no means talk on behalf of the brand. I have spend many a happy mile on the running protoype and from my point of view feel the bike's geo has been nailed. Have ridden it with both a 140mm Pike and 120mm Rev and the bike was happy with either and wouldn't bulk at being your only bike if your riding is not at an extreme spectrum of what's out there.

Let's see what Phase 2 brings, hopefully we will be fortunate enough to have a closer look at that as well. 

Edited by Iwan Kemp

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Following is not the worst comparison. If you're looking at the travel (at this stage) and think Camber, one up yourself and think Camber Evo. 

Up front will be okay'ed for 120-140mm (You REALLY don't like reading do you?!  :D )

Thunderbolt being 27.5 I should color you confused! Seriously though, in term of ethos they may not be that far apart. 

BUT, I'm voicing my opinion here and by no means talk on behalf of the brand. I have spend many a happy mile on the running protoype and from my point of view feel the bike's geo has been nailed. Have ridden it with both a 140mm Pike and 120mm Rev and the bike was happy with either and wouldn't bulk at being your only bike if your riding is not at an extreme spectrum of what's out there.

Let's see what Phase 2 brings, hopefully we will be fortunate enough to have a closer look at that as well. 

I enjoy reading actually, just don't find much time these day. I also know what a kind, accomodating gentleman you are.

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE The Following, but the price is scary.

This may be my Average Joe alternative.

Although not a copy, I would lean towards them getting cues and ideas from the PYGA 110 29r before Spez... given the existing relationship etc...

The PYGA 110 - Morewood and co. also "borrowed" heavily from the Camber for their inspiration. 

I get that there can only be so many variations of a specific bike in a specific niche, but the similarities go beyond a mere likeness to the Camber. 

Up front will be okay'ed for 120-140mm (You REALLY don't like reading do you?! :D )

Ja, true.

still. I love the look of it. Want it in raw.

That Thunderbolt looks like a seriously capable machine if you go by the Bible of Bike Test reports.

The PYGA 110 - Morewood and co. also "borrowed" heavily from the Camber for their inspiration. 

I get that there can only be so many variations of a specific bike in a specific niche, but the similarities go beyond a mere likeness to the Camber. 

please elaborate why you feel these brands are borrowing from the Camber?

Speak to Andre van Aarde from Rush sports he has a Evil The Following and he told me its bloody amazing,not what you expect from a 29er.

WHAT!!! Somebody is SA has one.

Damn I would give anything to have a go on one. Might even commit to buying it then.

WHAT!!! Somebody is SA has one.

Damn I would give anything to have a go on one. Might even commit to buying it then.

You can get one I spoke to Evil for $2600 +$400shipping you can have the frame,oh plus VAT on top of that and our shite exchange rate. He has the murdered out black one.

Huh?

• 4 weeks later...

111mm rear travel,so pretty much what the Pyga 110 is. But now we wait to see what the geometry is gonna be.

I wonder at what point economics will dawn on the market. How many trail bike variants can the market really sustain? Great as a consumer to have 30 choices, but pretty sure 30 bike companies can't live off selling 10 bikes each.

Not saying the market HAS reached saturation point but flip, it feels like a new one is popping up every week.

Guess that's why the marketing teams are in overdrive convincing us that we absolutely HAVE to upgrade our bikes every year. Screw saving. MOAR NEW BIKES!

• 1 year later...

@ Iwan : is the geometry of this prototype the same as the production model launched the other day?

The consensus was that the reach was way too short. How do you feel about it having ridden the bike?