Knox, Evans to settle unfinished Cape Epic business

News bot

What do the international guys have that ours don't, apart from the moolah?[/quote ]the Europeans have Europe, which is probably where 95% of the top races are held.

Take a look at the uni mtb rankings, Switzerland have something like 10 guys in the top 30.it didn't just happen

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They won't show on any podium- old news in terms of pro riders IMO...

Especially if they have to ride the whole route and not whinge about being bust taking shortcuts...

To use someone else's quote "what a stupid statement".

What a stupid statement...

it was said tongue in cheek, but if you really feel I'm stupid for perhaps believing it then I am afraid your are short-sighted my friend.

Find out why none of the big names in marathon mtb are not  training and prepping for the Epic like previous years on our shores.

it was said tongue in cheek, but if you really feel I'm stupid for perhaps believing it then I am afraid your are short-sighted my friend.

Find out why none of the big names in marathon mtb are not training and prepping for the Epic like previous years on our shores.

On the hub no negative statement or even an inferred one about him is tolerated. Consider this your first warning, even though I'm sure an Emma letter is already on it's way for "claiming" he took a shortcut.

Going to be super tough for them to get a podium....I really hope they do!!

judging on recent results highly unlikely. Good luck to them.

Find out why none of the big names in marathon mtb are not  training and prepping for the Epic like previous years on our shores.

Why?

I have not read anything about it, although I have noticed the BIG names are not here already, except for Sahm who moved his whole family to Stellies recently and know his part of the Bulls backup/support team. 

What sounds better, team biocan or team volgen?

I think kevEv's best shot at epic glory was not with DG, but the time he teamed up with the Albanator. In my mind he still has a bit to prove that he can get back to his best, and I think a top 10 is more realistic than a podium.

What do the international guys have that ours don't, apart from the moolah?

What do the international guys have that ours don't, apart from the moolah?[/quote ]the Europeans have Europe, which is probably where 95% of the top races are held.

Take a look at the uni mtb rankings, Switzerland have something like 10 guys in the top 30.it didn't just happen

Besides the exposure to world class racing and competitors, the fields are LARGE and the only way you get close to the front is by being fast...simple.

Just go to a world cup XCO event in Europe and see how many riders are on the start line compared to SA xco, if you are mid pack or further back on the first lap its unlikely you will in finish in the top 20.

In switz they have a lot of cycling clubs who make a huge effort to encourage youngsters to take part, not only encourage them but provide hands on coaching. I remember a few years ago I did a XCO race on the local swiss circuit and went to the track a few days before the event to practice, the track was quite technical with some serious drops and a ski jump. There was a course for the kiddies which was much shorter and easier which excluded all the drops and ski jump. The day I was there were +/- 20 kids from some club riding the full xco course as a group with a coach who made them stop at each technical section, he showed and explained how they should ride it and then one by one they would try it (only if they wanted to). These kids were < 12 yrs and already some of them had really good skills.

Why?

I have not read anything about it, although I have noticed the BIG names are not here already, except for Sahm who moved his whole family to Stellies recently and know his part of the Bulls backup/support team. 

I would also like to know ..... having said that nathrix you been around here long enough to know that a hubber does not need to 'substantiate' a statement like that ;)

Why?

I have been waiting for Platt to announce that they are SA bound, normally they are already here.

Saw Nino tweet something about heading to SA this week, haven't seen anything that he is riding the epic this yr, maybe a change of heart or perhaps just some training in warmer conditions. He has been doing a lot of skiing lately even came 2e in a skiing cross country event

Edited by Gen

I have been waiting for Platt to announce that they are SA bound, normally they are already here.

Saw Nino tweet something about heading to SA this week, haven't seen anything that he is riding the epic this yr, maybe a change of heart or perhaps just some training in warmer conditions. He has been doing a lot of skiing lately even came 2e in a skiing cross country event

Nino SCHURTER (just in case anyone wonders ;) ) said on Tweeta that he is not doing Epic but will be at the August ....

Nino SCHURTER (just in case anyone wonders ;) ) said on Tweeta that he is not doing Epic but will be at the August ....

Aaah many thx for clearing that up.

I like both Knox and Evens. Would like to see them have a good contest for the African jersey. In the GC i can't see them performing at all

I see there is a comment higher up about the top contenders not showing their hands at local races this year. Also noticed that apart from Lakata en co

I like how everybody has a comment on how these athletes will be performing, how they have no chance. Yes we have our favourites, and we all have a right to give an opinion but maybe everybody should stop and think that these athletes also read these social forums, it makes a person negative to read the crap some people make up sitting behind a desk while the professional athletes are out bleeding sweat and tears to be in the best form they can be. maybe if more people believed in the good of them not just the negative they will actually perform... its easy to sit back and commentate, lets put ourselves in their shoes, wont be so glorious... im backing any south african who can get on that GC podium...