Advice on tyres for Absa Cape Epic 2015

Jasonvantslot

My partner and I are wanting to put on new tyres for the Absa Cape Epic.

We are not looking for necessarily the fastest or the lightest tyres. We are going for a finish rather than a podium.

Any advice on good durable tyres will be appreciated.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think lots of people are going to give me slack for this but I did it on Schwalbe rocket rod and did't have to plug any punctures. Had very good fortune with them.

Ran Spaz Fast tracks front and rear. Had one puncture which was easily solved with a plug and duct tape.

Tom

Not doing epic but did 2 x attakwas & tankwa trek with Racing Ralphs Snakeskins front & back with no problems at all. use it lose it

I have raced for more than 4 years on Schwalbe Snakeskins incl Epic, J2C plus numerous other marathon and XC races. I've only plugged punctures twice in what has been tens of thousands of km of riding during this time.

So why go for heavy 'bakkie' tyres like Crossmark - the race is hard enough without having to drag those around for 8 days.

Go for Rocket Ron front for extra grip and Racing Ralph rear - must be snakeskin. If you look around the bike park at Epic you will probably notice Schwalbe is the most popular tyre there.

Ardent front and back! The rocks here in Worcester is not forgiving..... Especially for one bit of the Worcester - Wellington day

If you don't mind the weight (and you shouldn't), then these tyres are Unreal. Stronger than the crossmarks (from my commuting experience) and grip like crazy (run them nice and low, you won't regret it).