Insane price for a bike wash.

karlito

So I helped a friend of mine look for a bike after he borrowed a spare bike of mine for a while and the mtb bug bit him hard. Eventually found a very nice Scott Scale 910 for a bargain price, and he was obviously stoked.

So with shiny new(ish) bike he was off to his LBS to get one or two minor things sorted out before we headed to Sabie for the weekend. 

He goes to pick up the bike and they charged him R120 for a bike wash, that he did not ask for?!?!? Holy crap I can get my car washed, polished and vacuumed for that price.

It get's even worse, the bike was cleaner before he took it to the shop, and when they fetched it from the storage rack they dropped his bike and scratched it right in front of him.

I stopped taking by bikes to shops for services long ago exactly because of this type of bull. So before I do a name and shame I would just like to get some input, is this acceptable? Do people actually put up with this? 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can u charge a client for something he didn't ask for and on top of that charge an exorbitant fee ??

that's just not on !

People talk about insane bike prices like prices of wheels, saddles, or anything bike related. I always said that the charge rate bike shops ask for a bike wash is the most ridiculous thing on earth. I am no mechanic, bought paraffin, that plastic chain-cleaner thingie and some bikewash soap.I clean my drivetrain at least twice a week...my chain lasted more than a year.

Even that R80 is ridiculous i can buy a lot of clean green for that. Also note bike wash does not include cleaning the chain. That's normally part of service only. So your paying for them to spray water at bicycle, soap and rinse.

Some bike shops see us as walking wallets.  It's time to fight back this nonsense. We are already being overcharged by the industry as a whole, now some shops think it is OK to jump on the gravy train too.