Insane price for a bike wash.

karlito

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should take bets to see if this will turn out like all the other threads where the bike shop was going to be named later... later never comes!

My guess, Bruce... But can be 100% wrong on this...

And I have a scratch with them in any case.

Edited by François Marais

Ok so the reason I was a little hesitant to name the shop is because it did not happen to me personally, but to a close friend whom I helped look for a bike.

So just one or two more facts. The scratch was not on the frame, just on the crank, and after he complained about the price of the wash they eventually offered to not charge him for it, but this was only after complaining and them explaining that it is their "policy".  

So being new to the sport he ended up paying, not wanting to tarnish the relationship and also not sure where a consumer stands when dealing with a LBS.

Bottom line, this shop is very close to Heritage hill (and Just Bike Tyre for the motorcycle enthusiasts) 

Bottom line, this shop is very close to Heritage hill (and Just Bike Tyre for the motorcycle enthusiasts) 

Any detectives in the house?  :ph34r:

Why be so vague?  If you want to name them, then do it, don't pussyfoot around it.

Haven't had time to read all the posts - too busy hand washing bikes!  I unashamedly charge R80-00 for a wash.  First line item on the invoice Labour: Inspect, wash and lube R80-00.  If I have to strip to clean (cassette, crank, pulleys etc)  I add "strip" and the price jumps to R120-00.  I simply don't work on dirty bikes and the charge is a standard cost based on a time cost of R350-00 per hour.  I don't charge for the "sundries and engine cleaner" as in the free motorbike wash but the materials also cost.  I don't wash clean bikes - as long as I don't get grease on my hands while working!  I must add that the inspection is probably where most of the time is spent.  

If you want a high pressure wash I do it for free. (Recover the money in the bearing replacements!)

Any detectives in the house?  :ph34r:

Why be so vague?  If you want to name them, then do it, don't pussyfoot around it.

That would be Tool Up if my detective work is up to scratch...

Which is strange, because they're a good bunch of guys.

That would be Tool Up if my detective work is up to scratch...

Which is strange, because they're a good bunch of guys.

I have heard the same thing, and I have much respect for what they did with Wolwespruit cause I grew up in the area. That is why I wanted to get some opinions before alluding to which shop it is.

But this type of behavior is not on. If I bring in a dirty bike and they have to put in effort to clean the bike to work on it by all means(even though some shops do this for free). 

However treating someone like a walk-in wallet is bad form. 

My guess, Bruce... But can be 100% wrong on this...

And I have a scratch with them in any case.

I'm sure they'll sort your shifting out with minimal hassle, but also another topic.

Said it before and I'll say it again, luckily I have one of those self cleaning models, I stop at the house leave bike on the rack jump in the pool wash off the "real machine ;) me ) drag my sorry ass into the house and on Sunday when I climb back on the bike ITS SPARKLING

Jokes aside this is how I see it

Yes it's expensive but few things to consider

Consumables, labour, rent,Wada wada

I own a business when we work on cars we wash them, do we charge NO should we charge hell yes it costs more than you think to wash 20 cars/bikes a day

End of the day after 60-100km on the bike would I rather have a beer and pay someone R120 to wash my bike better than I can after 100km HELL YES

AND MY Guy washes A BIKE BETTER THAN 99% of the guys out there, knows where are all the marks are and points out when there is an issue ,,,Yes I know I'm lucky and spoilt

I have a beer (or 3) while washing my bike.

Only wash it when it's really dirty though.

Still drinking the beer. Even if it's while taking a post-ride shower.

I do clean & lube the drive train more often.

Why not ask for a quote when you drop off the bike? It's a simple concept really. Ask them to write it down, make sure to let them know that if any additional work is required to get authorisation first, with a price, and when you pick the bike up there are no surprises.

Why not ask for a quote when you drop off the bike? It's a simple concept really. Ask them to write it down, make sure to let them know that if any additional work is required to get authorisation first, with a price, and when you pick the bike up there are no surprises.

Ag no man, why do you have to ruin such a good rant with so much sensibleness?

I wash my gf with soapy water and a sponge bru. Bikes dont need to shine every time you go ride them. It's so sad how guys silicone and polish their bikes so much. Its a bike! If you have time and energy to do that you clearly didn't ride long enough.

you wash your girlfriend .... lekker!