Insane price for a bike wash.

karlito

Slightly OT (and my morning rant and contribution to hubland) but:

I had the old FP shop in Paulshof do exactly the same to me - didn't service the bike, charged for a wash they didn't do and then dropped it and scraped the forks and chain stays whilst getting it out of the workshop upstairs. I was greeted with a silly grin and an offer of a free wash and service next time after they had done thousands of Rands damage to my bike (Colnago C40 road bike - my baby).

So I made it my task to ensure all and everybody knew - I published it online in as many forums as I could, tweeted and FB'ed it (i think it was my first tweet). And prior to this I was a loyal customer who had bought two bikes from them.

Now I cant claim credit for their demise but i sure as hell knocked a couple of nails in their coffin. And thats the lesson. Collective action works. Look at our friends with the Pinarello frames - genuine Pinarello made in China. Thye are not in as big a premises as they were lets say.

Name and Shame guys and you weed out the bad DNA by exposing this. 

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok guys in future please come to us REDHUB CYCLING we charge R35 for a wash and lube and if you want a coffee with that.

Now that is decent. 

ok guys in future please come to us REDHUB CYCLING we charge R35 for a wash and lube and if you want a coffee with that.

Wait... so the R35 includes a coffee? 

Wait... so the R35 includes a coffee? 

and why aren't you in CPT?

I'm willing to pay R100 for a wash and lube, if they don't use a pressure washer to hose down my bike - so I have some peace of mind that no water is forced where it should not be i.e. pivot bearings.

But...but... how do you pay all the expensive things like rent and lights by not charging exorbitant fees for a bike wash?

But...but... how do you pay all the expensive things like rent and lights by not charging exorbitant fees for a bike wash?

Its called a loss leade.

There is no need to become sanctimonious about what people charge for their services.

If SingleSlick wants to charge that, good for him, I am sure he understands his own strategy, but that does not mean other must do or can afford to do the same. If they all did, he would have this his USP.

Edited by Patchelicious

Its called a loss leade.

There is no need to become sanctimonious about what people charge for their services.

If SingleSlick wants to charge that, good for him, I am sure he understands his own strategy, but that does not mean other must do or can afford to do the same. If they all did, he would have this his USP.

I think you actually misunderstood my irritation with constantly being ripped off as being sanctimonious.

Offering a bike wash for R35 should hardly be a USP in a bike shop. But I agree with you, each has his own strategy.

Kudos to SingleSlick for offering value for money.

I think you actually misunderstood my irritation with constantly being ripped off as being sanctimonious.

Offering a bike wash for R35 should hardly be a USP in a bike shop. But I agree with you, each has his own strategy.

Kudos to SingleSlick for offering value for money.

Cool. Also in hindsight, my post came across as rude, that was not the intention.

Smoke 'break' jissis now that can get me going ..... I had a boss once that was a heavy smoker, had to go outside to smoke. I swear he spent at least 2 hours a day outside and then still went to the canteen to have lunch.

One day I left an hour and a half early, when he asked why I was going early I said 'cause I don't smoke' - he was not amused but got the message!

I have a colleague that does that, he alternates between the upstairs balcony and downstairs area so that people might think he is going to the toilet or to make coffee rather than smoking.

The worst is when I do something on his laptop, I get back to my office and I can smell cigarettes on my fingertips!! seriously its that bad.

ok you most definitely would get a coffee with that and no high pressure used just a descent offer on a bike wash and lube

WOW! That is pretty damn awesome! Will stop in when I am that side of the world again

My local bike shop also charges around R130 for a wash and lube. Although I mostly do it myself it's just never as shiny as when they do it.