Insane price for a bike wash.

karlito

last week I wanted to replace my junior cassette with a nornal one

/cut/

he removed the lockrings i rplaced the 2 sprockets and he re tightened them then he charged me 50bucks. there was no customers in the shop at the time and it took 1min. do you guys think it is fair?

R50 is a bargain.

On a ride a few weeks ago I realised that the lock-ring on my cassette was loose so I stopped off at one of the LBSs I often frequent and asked them if they could quickly tighten it. 30 seconds later it was tight.

The bill, R720...

Oh, they tightened it for free but because I am not a sponge I bought the tyre I knew I would be needing soon and some sealant as well. In fact I NEVER leave a bike shop if they have given me their time without buying something, no matter how small.

And that is how mutually respectful relationships are built.

But it starts with you supporting them commercially, and when it has moved on to them doing you the odd favour, you acknowledging their effort by giving them some business there and then.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some cycle shops just have no idea on good consistent customer service.  We do not mind paying for good service, even extra if it is really good.

I have been spending hundreds of thousands in cycling shops over the last ten years.  My wife in fact think more in the million range, and I still get surprised by the poor attitude of some shop owners and employees.  Which by itself is not a problem, I just take my wallet somewhere else...  sometime it is a bit inconvenient, but at least I get what I pay for. 

They certainly do not see the value a retuning customer can bring, and do not understand the value (or not) of word of mouth.  And now we also have social media... Eish!

If they do not get with the program they will be spit out, that is the law of the jungle. 

I have no issue being charged, even if it is to pump up a wheel. If you can't / unable to do something then you should pay somebody to do it. Renault wanted to charge me R80 to change a headlamp bulb. So I said it is fine and did it myself, with a struggle though.

As customers, please do a little silly thing before anyone touches your bike, ask, ask what will it cost more or less, then no surprises.

My LBS charges R150 for bike wash, lube and test ride. Take it or leave it. Then they have a menu where they charge for other little jobs like changing pads, fitting bearings etc So you can work it out for yourself, your choice. I will never take their bike wash option, I can do it myself. But will ask them to do the other tricky bits and I know up front what I will pay.

Ask and decide, can prevent a lot of unnecessary drama.

Although I always get the extra touch, bargains etc. I will never expect a freebie.

If I can add a comment of no real importance....

I spend about 6 month of the year in Europe and as such I have my toys doubled up. (Expensive I know but over traveling with bikes etc)

In Europe when you take your bike for a service, you get exactly that. A service, nothing more nothing less. Even if you bike was covered in mud, you'll get it back covered in mud.

In fact the same goes for your car service....

One of the GREAT things about SA is you get you bike (and car) back clean after a service... So in my view our LBS are cool.

As for the most of cleaning your bike... I suspect you'll do a better job as you love your bike more than they do. If you stay on it, its hardly a chore...

Like a said, a comment of not much importance.

The only time I pay to have my mtb washed is when it's been a really muddy ride, and if I see the Powasol dudes at the races. Otherwise I wash it myself. Last time I checked, they charged R50 for a bike wash :ph34r:

R50 is a bargain.

On a ride a few weeks ago I realised that the lock-ring on my cassette was loose so I stopped off at one of the LBSs I often frequent and asked them if they could quickly tighten it. 30 seconds later it was tight.

The bill, R720...

Oh, they tightened it for free but because I am not a sponge I bought the tyre I knew I would be needing soon and some sealant as well. In fact I NEVER leave a bike shop if they have given me their time without buying something, no matter how small.

And that is how mutually respectful relationships are built.

But it starts with you supporting them commercially, and when it has moved on to them doing you the odd favour, you acknowledging their effort by giving them some business there and then.

+1

I have a few LBS I go to, if I go to any of them for any task to be performed even if it is just fitting a cassette to a wheel I take my wallet along expecting to pay for the work that will be performed.  

A few times they have not charged me for these little tasks, but I always end up buying something else , even if it is just a few Co2 bombs or sealant or something arbitrary.

I assume their kindness is directly related to the relationship they have built up with me over the years or perhaps they are just nice, but either way it is not something I feel they have to do.   I will always recommend these shops to others.

Take it easy. As I read the comments I'ts clear there are more people that are in favor of the mechanics logic.

I have no problem paying for services rendered as I expect to pay for something when I enter a shop. Question though: If I enter a shop with a cassette that needs to be changed and you change it for me in say 5 min at no charge I will most probably be so impressed that I will tell all my cycling buddies about the shop. They in turn will most probably take their bike to your shop to have it serviced or buy something. If I had to pay for that 5min it took to change the cassette I will not even mention your shop to anyone (not because I did not get it for free or got bad service but to me it's just another service rendered for which I paid). You made your R50 bucks but my reference could have made you R600+ and that is a lesson in PR and Marketing. See it is the small things that make a difference in my life that will cause to tell people about you and your great service which will cause you to get much more business in the end as word of moth is the most powerful advertisement out there. Choice is yours in the end. Do you want to make that quick R50 or get much more exposure in the market and get more business in and in turn make more money.

Sure it might be so small that the bike shop will see it as negligible and give the service mahala, that is off course if they know you are a regular and support them rather than CRC's , CWC's and competitors. See its a two way street...you cant exactly be a bargain hunter and expect exceptional service from a LBS...the relationship needs to be there first.

PS. the fact that the LBS charged him 50 ronds doesn't qualify him ranting about it...he did pay afterall...job was done. Willing buyer / willing seller....he was fine with it when the job still needed to be done. 

I once had an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon to check up on my collarbone.

Appointment was scheduled for 14h00 - 15h00

I got there at at 13h55 with brand new x-rays in hand as asked.

He finally saw me from 14h55, looked at my X-ray and said, "hmmmm, looks good" and sent me on my way, was out of there before 15h00, less that 2mins.

I was charged for a full hour examination, as that is common practice apparently. I agreed and paid. I wasn't too upset that I had to pay for the service, that's why the guy studied, he needs to make a return. I was annoyed that its "ok" for me to waste time sitting around a room that smells like old lady, I could have been billing for that time. So that hour I waited did'nt just cost me the doctors bill, it cost me the time I could not bill for either.

The next day I sent him an invoice for the 55mins I spent in his waiting room. (as a joke).

I got a phone call, dude was a bit annoyed that I made the joke, but when I asked him why he thinks his time is more valuable than mine he couldn't answer me.....

I know its not fully bike related (except for the collarbone part) but the sentiment is the same. People's time is valuable, and needs to be compensated for.

Sure favours can be done, but that's the exception not the norm! If Business mostly did favour, we will be starting threads about where all the LBS went, and we will be forced to use those stupid Concepts stores ;)

The next day I sent him an invoice for the 55mins I spent in his waiting room. (as a joke).

the amount of times i wanted to do this x10000, like you say its not like our time is free, im sure if you could bill them for time wasted shiit would change

dude was a bit annoyed that I made the joke,

you say that like you surprised drs are all grumpy and love inflicting pain on others :whistling:  :whistling: 

Time is money

Yes doing a 5 minute freebie might in the long run bring in new customers, this is what the LBS has to weigh up and decide at the time, his prerogative and not the customers. 

You walk into a shop with the intent to request some kind of service that they provide as part of their business, you best be prepared to pay for it.

Business is business (said in my best Jewish accent)

That's crazy.

Fook me. I washed vacuumed and polished my car the other day for R150

Geesh, I should have paid myself more - I did this on Sunday for free! No wonder I also don't charge myself anything for cleaning my mtb... silly me

Out of all of the above it seems that I was the wrong one in this instance.

rule #1 Never expect something free

rule#2 Always ask upfront what it will cost

rule #3 Rather buy the stuff and do it yourself

Thanks for your input guys

Lesson learnt  ;)

Sure it might be so small that the bike shop will see it as negligible and give the service mahala, that is off course if they know you are a regular and support them rather than CRC's , CWC's and competitors. See its a two way street...you cant exactly be a bargain hunter and expect exceptional service from a LBS...the relationship needs to be there first.

PS. the fact that the LBS charged him 50 ronds doesn't qualify him ranting about it...he did pay afterall...job was done. Willing buyer / willing seller....he was fine with it when the job still needed to be done. 

Yes and No. I believe that for something so small they could have gained much more if they did it for free even if I was no regular. Like I said, word of mouth is very powerful advertising and even if the person never told anyone of the free service that thought will stay in his/her mind and next time he/she needs something done they will remember that day and say lets give them another go at something bigger. The service rendered did not cost the shop any material and only cost them overheads and profit but in turn they could have gained exposure/marketing. I have received free service from shops even though I have never entered the shop before. Even if you walk into the shop and talk to the sales consultant about a bike, that person is rendering a service for which you don't pay UNLESS you buy the bike you are discussing. That is a service rendered that might have the outcome of a possible sale. If the person buys the bike the shop makes money, if the person does not buy the bike the shop dos not profit. That is the chance the shop must take as they can't force you to buy the bike because you took up the sales consultant's time.

But now I'm getting into a different level of marketing which can get a bit off topic. 

Out of all of the above it seems that I was the wrong one in this instance.

rule #1 Never expect something free

rule#2 Always ask upfront what it will cost

rule #3 Rather buy the stuff and do it yourself

Thanks for your input guys

Lesson learnt  ;)

Nice one!

Three very good lessons you learnt and it only cost you R50!!

You have also taught many hubbers another lesson, its ok to be wrong sometimes and learn from it :)

ps: Bill them for that :thumbup:

Take it easy. As I read the comments I'ts clear there are more people that are in favor of the mechanics logic.

I have no problem paying for services rendered as I expect to pay for something when I enter a shop. Question though: If I enter a shop with a cassette that needs to be changed and you change it for me in say 5 min at no charge I will most probably be so impressed that I will tell all my cycling buddies about the shop. They in turn will most probably take their bike to your shop to have it serviced or buy something. If I had to pay for that 5min it took to change the cassette I will not even mention your shop to anyone (not because I did not get it for free or got bad service but to me it's just another service rendered for which I paid). You made your R50 bucks but my reference could have made you R600+ and that is a lesson in PR and Marketing. See it is the small things that make a difference in my life that will cause to tell people about you and your great service which will cause you to get much more business in the end as word of moth is the most powerful advertisement out there. Choice is yours in the end. Do you want to make that quick R50 or get much more exposure in the market and get more business in and in turn make more money.

Agreed, but also understand that there are no guarantees of that reference, and if I were to not charge for every Tom, Dick and his dog who told me "ya but it's a 5 minute job" then I would be living on the street.

ask yourself how often you give away your time for free, and like Patchelicious said, how and why is my time worth less than the Doc who stings you a full hour rate for a 5 minute job?

A personal story, both my children were born prem, were in ICU for the first two weeks of their lives, the "kind Doc" (and don't get me wrong he did a fine job of telling the nurses what to do to keep my kids alive) sends me the bill, 5 times what the medical aid rates will pay. Going thru the statement there are numerous "consult fees" that I saw at R1500 per consult. Now this consult (the few that I saw) consisted of walking in, looking at my kid, looking at his chart and scribbling down the next instructions to the nurses! And I am still paying his bill 7 years down the line!

So please tell me how his 5 minute job is worth R1500 and my 5 minute job is worth "a freebie cuz I'll tell all my mates (that I got something for free so if you go there maybe you will get a freebie too)"

Build a bridge, and get over it guys.

I only use one LBS to work on my bike. Some days he does not charge me for a failrly big job (like servicing hubs, with me looking on and asking silly questions). Other days he charges me for removing a stubborn lock ring from a newly bought 2nd hand set of wheels. 

If he does not charge me, I thank him. If he charges me, I still thank him and pay him the money.

Someone in a service business goes out of their way ( effort, time or expertise) and doesn't bill you, a cake/six pack/ chocolate / wine /flowers or whatever, however token, as a thank you is gold. Esp when unexpected. Not every time, but as a customer you know when it's warranted.