Insane price for a bike wash.

karlito

Rikus le Grange personal and mobile bicycle technician and bike rentals on the corner of marine circle and coral road Table view. . R90 FOR WASH AND LUBE!

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rikus le Grange personal and mobile bicycle technician and bike rentals on the corner of marine circle and coral road Table view. . R90 FOR WASH AND LUBE!

So I helped a friend of mine look for a bike after he borrowed a spare bike of mine for a while and the mtb bug bit him hard. Eventually found a very nice Scott Scale 910 for a bargain price, and he was obviously stoked.

So with shiny new(ish) bike he was off to his LBS to get one or two minor things sorted out before we headed to Sabie for the weekend. 

He goes to pick up the bike and they charged him R120 for a bike wash, that he did not ask for?!?!? Holy crap I can get my car washed, polished and vacuumed for that price.

It get's even worse, the bike was cleaner before he took it to the shop, and when they fetched it from the storage rack they dropped his bike and scratched it right in front of him.

I stopped taking by bikes to shops for services long ago exactly because of this type of bull. So before I do a name and shame I would just like to get some input, is this acceptable? Do people actually put up with this? 

Thats bollocks! My LBS is R55, and that includes a proper Truth Coffee!

• 4 months later...

It's a bit of a joke. I don't know when last I took my bicycles to a bike shop.

Probably when I got my shocks serviced. Or I think I had the gear/brake cables redone on my road bike a couple of years ago.

Other than that, I do what I can myself.

I stumbled upon this "maintenance" price list a few weeks ago: http://www.revolutioncycles.co.za/?page_id=61

What the actual eff.

Bike shops these days think we all just have huge amounts of money and can rip us anything they want, I'm only 14 and it would seem whenever I walk into a bike shop to get a quote by myself they feel they can charge whatever they want, the other day Summit Cycles wanted me to pay R250 for brake pads that I got for R80 else where, I'm sorry but I don't believe that that is right, and I'm tired of people trying to take advantage of all the noobs who don't know what things should cost. I'm just glad I'm not that big of a noob, and that I know better than paying such insane prices.

The identical make and type of pads were R80 at the other lbs?

Pads do also come in different compounds that can make the price change even if it's the same make and there can be huge price discrepancies between different makes, Alligator pads can be around R100 a set and original shimano for instance closer to R300.

Bike shops these days think we all just have huge amounts of money and can rip us anything they want, I'm only 14 and it would seem whenever I walk into a bike shop to get a quote by myself they feel they can charge whatever they want, the other day Summit Cycles wanted me to pay R250 for brake pads that I got for R80 else where, I'm sorry but I don't believe that that is right, and I'm tired of people trying to take advantage of all the noobs who don't know what things should cost. I'm just glad I'm not that big of a noob, and that I know better than paying such insane prices.

Lovely when noobs come here and make statements without facts....read what Skylark said....I have been to Summit a good few times and have never been ripped off......

Apples with apples son.......

i agree with your sentiments, but Barhugger and Skylark raise important points - are you comparing apples with apples ?

are they the same brand, same make, same year, same compound?

if they are maybe your just got lucky and scored a good price, but Summit Cycles has a good reputation, and I dont think there would be any intention to rip you off.

Lovely when noobs come here and make statements without facts....read what Skylark said....I have been to Summit a good few times and have never been ripped off......

Apples with apples son.......

Maybe he doesnt know better,

Summit does have a good reputation, but there is no need to get rude just because its your buddies place.

Probably when I got my shocks serviced. Or I think I had the gear/brake cables redone on my road bike a couple of years ago.

I stumbled upon this "maintenance" price list a few weeks ago: http://www.revolutioncycles.co.za/?page_id=61

What the actual eff.

Well that's a joke.... They will just replace and repair parts up to the value of the service that you booked in... So you can expect a bill of R1200 for standard service... Wont be taking my bike there in a hurry

Maybe he doesnt know better,

Summit does have a good reputation, but there is no need to get rude just because its your buddies place.

Lekker man lekker.....didn't realise my comment was being rude.....but then again you have a problem with most of my posts....

Lekker man lekker.....didn't realise my comment was being rude.....but then again you have a problem with most of my posts....

Not really, maybe a few but not most. Lets say 10 out of 4800 posts = 0.2% hardly most :P

Edited by Patchelicious

What the actual eff.

Expensive + bad attitude.

Whats not to like.

Expensive + bad attitude.

Whats not to like.

Never had any attitude there, in fact Revolution have always been one of the more helpful spots when I've been in CT. 

Personally feel the pricing is relative, especially considering that a bike service can take an entire day for a full service on a bike that has a dropper post, hydraulic brakes, suspension etc etc ... the list is scalable as well, not everyone will need the 'full house' 

Plus they're completely open about the pricing, not many service industries do that. 

Can't win it seems.

Car Wash - R40

Bicycle Wash - R120

Car Major Service - +/- R1200

Bicycle Major Service - R1200

What's wrong with this picture?

R1200 for major car service?? Not a chance!