Insane price for a bike wash.

karlito

I am the friend this happened to.  As I am new to the sport and the forum this is my first post, so not really the way I would have wanted to introduce myself, but hello!

Also on your doorstep. You might be pleasantly surprised.

www.kdt-cycle-services.co.za

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Booked my bike in at a new very smart/clean/clinical shop that just opened 1km from where I work

Lets see how much this wash will be..

Trusting nature

Und, was your faith in mankind repaid?

Thank you SwissVan.

After complaining they did offer to remove the wash, but I got the feeling it wasn't really done because of them admitting to it being unreasonable, but rather because I am making an issue out of it.  I then just paid it as I wanted to retain the relationship because of them being so close to my house.  In hindsight I probably shouldn't have...

Well if it was a door.... what you did is better than slamming it shut.

At least you still have options there if you need to go there again

Edited by SwissVan

• 3 months later...

Glad  I found this thread,

last week I wanted to replace my junior cassette with a nornal one because road season is over and the trainer doesn't provide enough resistance with a junior drive terrain . So I rode my road bike and my 26er wheel to Road cycles in Silverton just that the guy can remove the lockring on the 26er so that I can remove the cassette and sell it and remove the lockring on my roadbike so that I can replace a the 2 smallest ones with 2 others. I even took a plastic bag with me for the 26er cassette. when I got there "the mechanic" wasn't there . so I waited for him to come he removed the lockrings i rplaced the 2 sprockets and he re tightened them then he charged me 50bucks. there was no customers in the shop at the time and it took 1min. do you guys think it is fair?

Why not just buy the tool once and do I yourself for free forever onwards??

I you're too lazy/unwilling to learn/invest in tools to do your own bike work, then be prepared to pay the bike shop owner who has done the former.

And seriously. Wash your bike before you take it for a service. That's just plain good manners.

What job do you do? Do you charge for your time? What do you think he should have charged you? Maybe he gets free rent and doesn't have to pay electricity!

I'm a scholar and I study. small stuff like that goes a long way in ensuring long term customers. Maybe he removes a lockring for me today and tomorrow I'll come buy a chain whip and lockring remover . Anyway I will never go there again not even to buy a co2 bomb

Why not just buy the tool once and do I yourself for free forever onwards??

I you're too lazy/unwilling to learn/invest in tools to do your own bike work, then be prepared to pay the bike shop owner who has done the former.

And seriously. Wash your bike before you take it for a service. That's just plain good manners.

go and check classifieds :ph34r:

Dude it's R50 bucks, the effort you put into these posts is worth more than that ;)

Now you know, so not only did he sort your bike for R50, you learnt a valuable lesson :P

Dude it's R50 bucks, the effort you put into these posts is worth more than that ;)

Now you know, so not only did he sort your bike for R50, you learnt a valuable lesson :P

I am a scholar , I don't have 50 bucks ;) I have a lot of time. well 50bucks for the lesson is worth it. and the lesson is choose your bike shops carefully or do it yourself.(if you have the tools) :P

Well here's a lesson scholar. People need to pay bills. When you enter the world of earning a living you will understand why he charged you.

I understand why you say what you say, they provide a service , I need a service I pay them for what they gave me. ;)  But sometimes a small favor goes a long way

Edited by R.smith

If you ride your MTB bike everyday the high pressure hose is your friend ...

You dont jet the BB/HUB/Headset/stanchions at the seal ... Its actually easy.

I have no issues ... Then again I do my own installs and services ...

O, you will soon realize that nothing in this world is free!! There is always a cost to everything. However when you least expect someone will surprise you with a giveaway.

Glad I found this thread,

last week I wanted to replace my junior cassette with a nornal one because road season is over and the trainer doesn't provide enough resistance with a junior drive terrain . So I rode my road bike and my 26er wheel to Road cycles in Silverton just that the guy can remove the lockring on the 26er so that I can remove the cassette and sell it and remove the lockring on my roadbike so that I can replace a the 2 smallest ones with 2 others. I even took a plastic bag with me for the 26er cassette. when I got there "the mechanic" wasn't there . so I waited for him to come he removed the lockrings i rplaced the 2 sprockets and he re tightened them then he charged me 50bucks. there was no customers in the shop at the time and it took 1min. do you guys think it is fair?

that is a lot of pocket money! Fair would have been telling you upfront what it will cost.

I understand why you say what you say, they provide a service , I need a service I pay them for what they gave me. ;)  But sometimes a small favor goes a long way

Sorry boet. Life is like that. Just roll with it. I pay R500/hour for mechanics that work on my machinery and it is debatable what they really know. I have three choices, use them, do it myself or take it somewhere else. Same applies to you. Maybe next time they treat you better. If they don't, then its strike two.

Glad  I found this thread,

I'm with the schoolboy on this. If a suit walks in - charge him and pay the bills. A kid and 5 mins... Nurture the love of the sport.

My advice - If you were friendly and not arrogant something went wrong. Get yourself a new bike shop. There are people who care for more than R50 in this world.

Look the local shop charges me R100 for a wash and a lube if I'm too time poor or lazy to sort that out myself. If I look at what it costs me in my hourly rate to my clients vs doing it myself then I'm happy to pay it. The r100 I paid probabally saved me R600. I've washed, sorted and done the mechanics role as a job and a for fun for more years than I haven't so it's not a novelty. honestly while I can do it the guys do a very good job and it come back immaculate. Often with a little tweak here or there sorted as well. That is the service that I ask for and I get. It's not every week, just when I've made a prope mess and / or it's a hectic week and I'd rather spend time with the wife, kids etc than soaping up.

If I have a service then it gets washed as part of the gig not extra and I don't think they'd ever try because they'd lose custom and be laughed at.