Insane price for a bike wash.

karlito

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why is prefer a "small" bike shop, where I do all of my business. The guys know me and I know them, they know if they are going to shaft me I am simply not comming back. If I drop my bike of for a service they call me before they replace something. I have had a few incidents where a shop replaced things that did not need replacing but I did not know any better. One of my friends almost never cleans his bike, so when he sends it in for a service I would guess that the guys spend a hour to clean and degrease everything, in that case I wouls say R120 is fine, because the guys could have spend that time on something that would have made them money. I wash my own bike because I enjoy it and then I know everything is spotless, and it is also a great time for an inspection.

This is why is prefer a "small" bike shop, where I do all of my business. The guys know me and I know them, they know if they are going to shaft me I am simply not comming back. If I drop my bike of for a service they call me before they replace something. I have had a few incidents where a shop replaced things that did not need replacing but I did not know any better. One of my friends almost never cleans his bike, so when he sends it in for a service I would guess that the guys spend a hour to clean and degrease everything, in that case I wouls say R120 is fine, because the guys could have spend that time on something that would have made them money. I wash my own bike because I enjoy it and then I know everything is spotless, and it is also a great time for an inspection.

An essential point that not all bike shops respect!

Booked my bike in at a new very smart/clean/clinical shop that just opened 1km from where I work

Lets see how much this wash will be..

Booked my bike in at a new very smart/clean/clinical shop that just opened 1km from where I work

Lets see how much this wash will be..

You did not ask them first........ hope you don't get burnt....

post-182-0-31275400-1424942150_thumb.png

An essential point that not all bike shops respect!

I make them take it off immediately. Once it is off, I enter a discussion with them as to why my bike needs said new part, if their reason seems sensible, I then give them the go ahead to put it back on and I pay for it.

2 LBS' (same one different owners) have in the past simply replaced my cassette and when I told them it was brand new (which it was) they back tracked and said it was a mistake by one of their mechanics. Seems to be a default thing by some to add stuff and only when/if we moan does it come off.

Moral is, if you are going to charge me for something, just clear it with me first, a quick call, this will build up trust which all the good LBS' have with their clients.

We must also be reasonable, that if you drop your bike off at your LBS covered in mud and ask them to set your gears, they need to clean if before they can work on it, so dont be surprised if they do then charge you for a wash.

Lastly R120 for a wash is a price they set because thats what makes sense to them.

If that's what they need to charge to make business sense then so be it, do the ROI for yourself. Eg: It takes me 30mins to wash my bike, my current bill out rate is R825 p/h so if you want me to wash your bike expect a R412.50 bill excluding consumables which will be marked up too as there is an acquisition cost to those materials, ie: I need to spend time and fuel to go to a shop and buy them in the first place.

Its not always about the cost of the bike wash but about the opportunity cost lost for other possible services. If said bike shop does not have enough washes everyday to justify a permanent bike washer, it will probably be a mechanic doing the wash, and he costs a bit more than a casual and could be offering a service that has a higher income potentials.

If the value of paying somebody R120 and getting a clean bike in return does not make cost to service ROI for you, then find a way that does. Like a cheaper place or doing it yourself etc.

Much like my grandad always said. "Ek sal liewers self my kar diens voor dat ek daai skelms betaal om dit vir my te doen."

Edited by Patchelicious

Even if it takes me 2 hours to wash my bike I dont mind, it's probably one of the best stress relievers for me personally....next to riding it of course 

Look I really wouldn't mind paying for a wash if i really wasn't in the mood to do it myself and then R120 becomes negligible. But most shops have labour that wash the bikes for them, these guys most probably don't earn R200 per day, so to charge R120 for a 30min job is a bit silly imo. But i suppose it creates an added revenue stream for the shop....

I am the friend this happened to.  As I am new to the sport and the forum this is my first post, so not really the way I would have wanted to introduce myself, but hello!

I bought the Scott on Sunday and then took it in a couple of days later - think it was the Wednesday, to have a couple of small things done.  The bike was by no means dirty as I bought it from a bike dealer and therefore it was still in "showroom"  condition.  I did not have any time to ride it before it went in and therefore it wasn't even covered in dust - let alone mud...  The chain needed a lube though.

I arrived at the shop just before closing time and it was loaded onto the overnight storage rack.  The salesman loading it was distracted and it dropped off the rail onto the floor - about 1.5m I would guess.  The crank may or may not have scratched, as this is a second hand bike and I don't know if the scratch was there before the fall.  It was purely accidental though and he profusely apologised.  Not great, but not the end of the world also - these are MTBs after all....

I went back to pick up the bike the next day and was slightly shocked by the bill.  From my discussion with the mechanic and asking what the small jobs would cost I was expecting a bill between R 150 and at most R 200.  It ended up being closer to R 400.  It turned out to be mostly due to the bike wash.  I expressed my dissatisfaction with the cost and the fact that I did not order/needed it, but ended up paying in any case.  The logic of that is still up for debate I suppose..

The chain was lubed, but the wash was not great - the frame was covered in watermarks, so clearly not wiped down after being hosed.

I want to make it clear that I am satisfied with the shop's general service and that I believe them to be a bunch of good guys.  The small things requested was executed perfectly.  Frikkie found out about this and via Karlito contacted me.  He apologised for everything experienced.  Unfortunate events and lessons learned on both sides.  I will be insisting on a written quote going forward and to take in a clean bike unless I am willing to pay for the service should I not have time.

I am the friend this happened to.  As I am new to the sport and the forum this is my first post, so not really the way I would have wanted to introduce myself, but hello!

I bought the Scott on Sunday and then took it in a couple of days later - think it was the Wednesday, to have a couple of small things done.  The bike was by no means dirty as I bought it from a bike dealer and therefore it was still in "showroom"  condition.  I did not have any time to ride it before it went in and therefore it wasn't even covered in dust - let alone mud...  The chain needed a lube though.

I arrived at the shop just before closing time and it was loaded onto the overnight storage rack.  The salesman loading it was distracted and it dropped off the rail onto the floor - about 1.5m I would guess.  The crank may or may not have scratched, as this is a second hand bike and I don't know if the scratch was there before the fall.  It was purely accidental though and he profusely apologised.  Not great, but not the end of the world also - these are MTBs after all....

I went back to pick up the bike the next day and was slightly shocked by the bill.  From my discussion with the mechanic and asking what the small jobs would cost I was expecting a bill between R 150 and at most R 200.  It ended up being closer to R 400.  It turned out to be mostly due to the bike wash.  I expressed my dissatisfaction with the cost and the fact that I did not order/needed it, but ended up paying in any case.  The logic of that is still up for debate I suppose..

The chain was lubed, but the wash was not great - the frame was covered in watermarks, so clearly not wiped down after being hosed.

I want to make it clear that I am satisfied with the shop's general service and that I believe them to be a bunch of good guys.  The small things requested was executed perfectly.  Frikkie found out about this and via Karlito contacted me.  He apologised for everything experienced.  Unfortunate events and lessons learned on both sides.  I will be insisting on a written quote going forward and to take in a clean bike unless I am willing to pay for the service should I not have time.

Howzit and welcome

Did they refuse / consider / offer to refund you for the unwanted bike wash?

Dropping your bike - unacceptable

Charging you for the wash - understandable, but if disputed (clean bike handed in) should be refunded, especially considering they dropped your bike (from 1.5 m?)

first post, in a logical level headed manner .... nice man, and welcome.

Howzit and welcome

Did they refuse / consider / offer to refund you for the unwanted bike wash?

Dropping your bike - unacceptable

Charging you for the wash - understandable, but if disputed (clean bike handed in) should be refunded, especially considering they dropped your bike (from 1.5 m?)

Thank you SwissVan.

After complaining they did offer to remove the wash, but I got the feeling it wasn't really done because of them admitting to it being unreasonable, but rather because I am making an issue out of it.  I then just paid it as I wanted to retain the relationship because of them being so close to my house.  In hindsight I probably shouldn't have...

Ok so there you have it from the horse's mouth. Welcome RA, many happy km's buddy.

Just want to say big up and much respect to Barry from HoseBros for offering RA a free bike wash, drivetrain clean and lube. Please support these guys when you are ever at the spruit again.

Things like this that make me love the ppl and the sport even more!