Insane price for a bike wash.

karlito

I understand why you say what you say, they provide a service , I need a service I pay them for what they gave me. ;)  But sometimes a small favor goes a long way

An interesting one. I paid for most of my bike stuff with my own money when I was at school. I don't remember ever once being given a freebie by my LBS.

The attitude I take these days, is I expect everyone to charge me, a reasonable rate for a reasonable job. If someone does something for free, I'm very happy to accept their kindness, and it certainly cements the relationship. Although I've got freebies that I had to take elsewhere to get redone properly but that's another story...

I don't know whether you expected a freebie because you're a young man, or because it's a small job, or a combination of the two. But I what I can say is that the shop treated you like a customer, and there's a degree of respect to you in that very act.

I'm writing a lot of words over a little thing but I think it's because it bugs that you never want to use them again because they charged you a fee. That doesn't make sense and you seem like a logical, reasonable guy in every other respect.

My 5c worth.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree a bike shop has to make money. After all they had to pay the mechanic, they bought the tools etc, however, the point is not so much that he was charged, but how much he was charged. R50 to replace a cassette, a 2 min job. That equates to R1 500 per hour.

A bike shop in PE charged me R10 for the same thing. Another shop did it for me for free.

I agree a bike shop has to make money. After all they had to pay the mechanic, they bought the tools etc, however, the point is not so much that he was charged, but how much he was charged. R50 to replace a cassette, a 2 min job. That equates to R1 500 per hour.

A bike shop in PE charged me R10 for the same thing. Another shop did it for me for free.

Its not so much the time spent as the other expenses...rent / tools / staff / water and lights. See all of that needs to be calculated in the price if we are going to nitpick. Nothing in life is free, and there was a choice. If you didn't like the price, you can walk out. Nobody is forcing people with guns to their heads. Grates me when people expect to be charged X for a job but A.Dont have the tools to do said job and B.Dont have the know how....yet they are experts in the field of how much it should cost

A pool company once charged me R600 for changing a nozzle on my leave catcher.  Just labour.  I had the parts.  It took them literally 5 turns of a wrench that they had and I didn't.  5 minutes at most. 

I refused to pay.  Offered them R300 (which is still a joke, since the guy was enroute to another place nearby so petrol schmetrol) and they took it.  They were just taking a chance.

But having said that, in my case it was R7200 an hour.  I think the mechanic situation is different.  R50 for a quick jobbie is fair.  Charging R20 is just silly and a waste of time.  People should value their time, just fairly.

I had a mech knock out a headset for me and Kroff refused to take money for it, so I just bought some stuff from him.  I didn't go expecting a freebie.  Another mech knocked out a BB bearing for me and charged me R50, which I gladly paid and left.

But don't sell me poo and call it chocalate fondant!

A bike shop in PE charged me R10 for the same thing. Another shop did it for me for free.I must say

Went to epic cycles in centurion a few months back, asked if they can change my cassette onto a new rear wheel, 10mins and it was done. Asked them what the damage was and all I got was a smile and a nod..... Big up to epic cycles

As a mechanic, this is my view, If I go to a lawyer (and I have done in the past) he/she is not going to sit there and say well my advise/appointment only took 5 minutes to get the answer you need so this one is on the house. Same when you go to the doctor, he charges per 15 minute consultation, but if it takes him 2 minutes to write up a script for medicine, he will still charge the full 15min fee...

So why oh why must the LBS mechanic give his time and knowledge for free?

II once got into a huge fight with a well respected "pro" because he ran into my workshop on a Thursday afternoon and throws a wheel at me and asks to adjust the bearings. When I told him that I will book it in and I will have a look at it tomorrow he said that's not good enough and I need to do it now as he is on his way to the track to meet the rest of his team to train.

So I left the major service I was working on and adjusted the bearings, and when I said thank you that's R50 he flipped! Didn't want to pay, told me it took me less than 5 min and why must he pay...long story short he called the owner of the shop, who shared my sentiment and told him he must pay, long argument went on that he could buy the tools himself and do it himself for less - but the two spanner required to do the job cost R150 each so how is that less...?

Again I ask why is the mechanic in a LBS/car workshop etc seen as the scum of the earth and are not deserving of a decent wage?

At The Trailhead over a weekend we offer bike washes to our clients for R30 while they enjoy a coffee etc. This is by trained staff using proper brushes and bike cleaning solutions - no high pressure hoses.

All bike servicing includes a wash as a number of guys drop their bikes off after a ride on the Spruit.

I'm with the schoolboy on this. If a suit walks in - charge him and pay the bills. A kid and 5 mins... Nurture the love of the sport.

My advice - If you were friendly and not arrogant something went wrong. Get yourself a new bike shop. There are people who care for more than R50 in this world.

Maybe the tech at the shop should have called the kid around the counter and given him the tools to do it himself and maybe eventually the kid could moonlight in said shop

I once had an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon to check up on my collarbone.

Appointment was scheduled for 14h00 - 15h00

I got there at at 13h55 with brand new x-rays in hand as asked.

He finally saw me from 14h55, looked at my X-ray and said, "hmmmm, looks good" and sent me on my way, was out of there before 15h00, less that 2mins.

I was charged for a full hour examination, as that is common practice apparently. I agreed and paid. I wasn't too upset that I had to pay for the service, that's why the guy studied, he needs to make a return. I was annoyed that its "ok" for me to waste time sitting around a room that smells like old lady, I could have been billing for that time. So that hour I waited did'nt just cost me the doctors bill, it cost me the time I could not bill for either.

The next day I sent him an invoice for the 55mins I spent in his waiting room. (as a joke).

I got a phone call, dude was a bit annoyed that I made the joke, but when I asked him why he thinks his time is more valuable than mine he couldn't answer me.....

I know its not fully bike related (except for the collarbone part) but the sentiment is the same. People's time is valuable, and needs to be compensated for.

Sure favours can be done, but that's the exception not the norm! If Business mostly did favour, we will be starting threads about where all the LBS went, and we will be forced to use those stupid Concepts stores ;)

Again I ask why is the mechanic in a LBS/car workshop etc seen as the scum of the earth and are not deserving of a decent wage?

Take it easy. As I read the comments I'ts clear there are more people that are in favor of the mechanics logic.

I have no problem paying for services rendered as I expect to pay for something when I enter a shop. Question though: If I enter a shop with a cassette that needs to be changed and you change it for me in say 5 min at no charge I will most probably be so impressed that I will tell all my cycling buddies about the shop. They in turn will most probably take their bike to your shop to have it serviced or buy something. If I had to pay for that 5min it took to change the cassette I will not even mention your shop to anyone (not because I did not get it for free or got bad service but to me it's just another service rendered for which I paid). You made your R50 bucks but my reference could have made you R600+ and that is a lesson in PR and Marketing. See it is the small things that make a difference in my life that will cause to tell people about you and your great service which will cause you to get much more business in the end as word of moth is the most powerful advertisement out there. Choice is yours in the end. Do you want to make that quick R50 or get much more exposure in the market and get more business in and in turn make more money.

Edited by Hennie VR