Statement regarding alternative routes for 2015 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust is aware of the current situation regarding the fires raging in the mountains of the Southern Peninsula through which the Cape Town Cycle Tour traditionally passes. We are in close contact with the City of Cape Town Disaster Management team as well as their Events Office and all the other role players.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Ou Kaapse Weg is burning, as is Chappies - that leaves an out and back to the airport??

Please elaborate on this route??

If the fire is out by the weekend, then surely the ride can still go ahead

I think the concern is that Chappies may be destabilized due to the burning of vegetation and damage to catch nets and stuff. Ou Kaapse should have no such concerns but it wont be very pretty over there

Other big problem with regards to the wind, will be billowing clouds of ash / soot on certain sections of the route. Can be dangerous and a health risk for people with asthma / chest ailments.

edit: spelling

Edited by Wannabe

I really hope we don't have to do another detour. I never enjoyed it as much the last time we had to. Come on mother nature, Help us out here.

KUDOS to all involved in fire fighting and the rescue efforts.

I have always wanted a sub three on the detour, horrible and harder route, but at least there is something to shoot for

No one has said anything about the Muizenberg road works.

It gets very narrow as the road zips left and right between the excavations on either side.

Can go through the fire why not? Roadies are used to car fume smoke, in fact I would like to go through the fire will make it more fun.

No one has said anything about the Muizenberg road works.

It gets very narrow as the road zips left and right between the excavations on either side.

Correct, i'm more concerned about this than the route that might or might not change.