Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

It is what it is boys. Imagine the bitching if it was cancelled? Im not too happy as I also think the route could have been longer, but now I will just spend more time on the shorter route having fun.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't they just move it. Imagine this route. Start Stellenbosch (Coetzenburg) go towards Somerset West then take N2 over Sir Lowrys pass to Grabouw. From Grabouw go towards Villiersdorp over that small pass cross the dam and turn left towards Franschoek over the Franchoek pass . From Franchoek go over Helshoogte pass towards Stellenbosch back to Coetzenburg. Will be roughly 100km and over 4 passes. They can call it the Cape Town 4 passes cycle tour. Not much trafic on these roads except for the 18km stretch on the N2. Certainly less traffic than M3 and around Cape Town so it should be easy to close. Should be the permanent "alternative route"

you clearly have no idea at the amount of preparation that goes into securing road closure for an event this large. Given the short time they had for this (lless than a week, where both of the official routes were canned) what they've done is the only available option

Plus. If anyone is complaining about THIS, given what's been going on here over the last few days, you officially have "d1Ck" status.

Grow up and get some perspective. People have been evacuated, lost their homes, livelihoods and some have been fighting this fire for stints of up to 48 hours without sleep. Emergency services are at constant alert for any flare ups as are police.

Me? I'm thankful that more people haven't had their homes burn to the ground given the size of the fire.

If you can't see the reasons for this decision, then you're blind.

End of rant.

Edited by El Capitan

Well, I'm off to the airport in a bit and if I didn't have other business to take care of in CPT, I would probably be on the phone to the airline to cancel right this minute. But since I will be there, I WILL make the most of it.

Wear a raincoat, spectators are going to be putting out a lot of "fires" along the route, be like cycling in a cloudburst.

Wish I entered for this one, once in a lifetime event ! Enjoy it guys ! 

Lets hope some of the money goes to clearing alien vegetation that will flourish after the fire.

Wear a raincoat, spectators are going to be putting out a lot of "fires" along the route, be like cycling in a cloudburst.

Wish I entered for this one, once in a lifetime event ! Enjoy it guys !

Lets hope some of the money goes to clearing alien vegetation that will flourish after the fire.

What alien vegetation? It's all gone.

And no. The fynbos will flourish in these conditions and will grow far faster than the aliens.

Edited by El Capitan

Flip what am I going to do now that all you okes are going to learn how fun the argus really is even if you do the full 107 km route!

You guys are going to find out that it is always better to stop and drink wine with the families!

Everyone is going to be stopping and finding a space for a drink is going to be tricky !!

you clearly have no idea at the amount of preparation that goes into securing road closure for an event this large. Given the short time they had for this (lless than a week, where both of the official routes were canned) what they've done is the only available option

Plus. If you're complaining about THIS, given what's been going on here over the last few days, you officially have "d1Ck" status.

Grow up and get some perspective. People have been evacuated, lost their homes, livelihoods and some have been fighting this fire for stints of up to 48 hours without sleep. Emergency services are at constant alert for any flare ups as are police.

Me? I'm thankful that more people haven't had their homes burn to the ground given the size of the fire.

End of rant.

are you saying my status has changed given my viewpoint of expecting more Mr Mayhem ?

Flip what am I going to do now that all you okes are going to learn how fun the argus really is even if you do the full 107 km route! You guys are going to find out that it is always better to stop and drink wine with the families! Everyone is going to be stopping and finding a space for a drink is going to be tricky !!

Herecy and hearsay... Bah humbug

Flip what am I going to do now that all you okes are going to learn how fun the argus really is even if you do the full 107 km route!

You guys are going to find out that it is always better to stop and drink wine with the families!

Everyone is going to be stopping and finding a space for a drink is going to be tricky !!

Tbh I'm going to cheer from the sidelines. Told the OH that I'll be sitting this one out as soon as the fire got this large. Never was going to be the same and those hills will be KILLER for me given my fitness atm. Plus as soon as I told her I wasn't doing it, she booked a client meeting and a shoot :)

So ill be there at the top of Wynberg hill with a few cold ones,wwaiting to hand them out. Then I'll probably be assessing the damage to the trails in tokai.

Plus. If you're complaining about THIS, given what's been going on here over the last few days, you officially have "d1Ck" status.

End of rant.

Where can i find a fireman helmet to ride with

You just gave me a damn good plan!! going to ask my friends if i can lend one of there helmets.

are you saying my status has changed given my viewpoint of expecting more Mr Mayhem ?

Lol. Yes, I'd call you a dick to your face, given your stance on this. Doesn't mean I don't count you as a mate.

Wait. That sounded off a bit strange.

Edited by El Capitan