Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

Guest Smimby

They had a perfect opertunity to show the world what we can do, instead they take the easy way out.

They could have started on Monday to plan a route but this shows they did nothing, cop out like it was said here.

But I did not expect anything more from CTCT or PPA.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First post against a route change that makes any sense (well to me anyway).It has taken 20 yrs to the folk on the existing route used to this one day and they still complain.Tube if you meet me on your way back. We'll share a something nice over the barriers :)

Nice one dude! Dropping back to somewhere near mid pack to ride with some mates in honor of my mate who passed away in Jan. Heather and I will be wearing some red superhero outfits for the Firemen too! We should be easy to spot! Banana milkshake for breakfast sounds like the bomb!

Slowbee, great rant but.. What EXACTLY did you expect from them? Give us 1 idea. Canceling cannot happen- to much money invested and vested into it. Move the route.... To where exactly? Do you honesly think the city of cape town's main concern right now is to have a pow-wow with cycle tour organizers to organize new road closures and logistic while half of their city is under flames.... Seriously?

Honestly mate, i dont dont know you or where you live, but I was in Constantia today to assist with colleagues in the wine industry who's farms and properties are engulfed in flames. Chapmans peak will probably be off limits for months if not a few years after these fires- so in all honesty, bitching and moaning about not being catered for is a bloody insult to over a thousand people fighting a national disaster to protect other peoples property and lives.

You honestly do not need to respond to this, as I am not debating semantics or principles here; just plain bloody logic.

Most homes and businesses are insured.. But to trivialise the argus is, sad the argus brings millions of randsI into the Cape economy.. So if the wine farm burnt to the ground the owners would get paid out by the insurers ..

But the fallout from the cycle race disaster could take longer to recover from..

They could have added marine drive up to table view onto the route.. It can be closed with no real problems as they have koeberg Road and the N7 to service these suburbs

Edited by Sven137

Why... It's their job. That's the career path that they choose.. Volunteer firemen.. Like volunteer police and paramedics.. It's what they signed up for and this is hero hour for them and they thrive on it ..

And I'm am so tired of hearing the same houses getting burnt down every few years because of the fire. And the guy who saved his house a few years back and now who's house burnt down because he put a thatched roof on in a fire zone.. Well what did you expect mate.. I don't stand on the middle of the road and not expect to be hit by a car..

This is not the first time that there have been massive, fires, in ct and won't be the last... Plus its good for the finebos anyway.

Yep, sitting in Randburg you can make a comment like that! IF you were in Cape Town and saw even a little bit of what was actually going on at the ground level, your entertainment area with its thatch roof laps would be about as popular as this post! The fire has no predetermined areas it is picking and there are a couple of hundred people sleeping in makeshift camps as they have been evacuated from their homes with nothing more than their wallet and their phones!

They had a perfect opertunity to show the world what we can do, instead they take the easy way out.

They could have started on Monday to plan a route but this shows they did nothing, cop out like it was said here.

But I did not expect anything more from CTCT or PPA.

More nought dude! Read the last few pages and you'll see that all your points have been debated already. Do it. I dare you...

Sven, i wont waste much time on this- if you believe a "winefarm" is fully insured, then you are so completely and utterly misinformed it is frightening; how do you insure 20 year old vineyards... Assume you drink Tassies.

"Peoples houses are insured" "firefighter are JUST doing their job" ..... Mmm yes.... Sure you will say the same thing when your house burns down, remember when the shoe changes feet.

Ps: the forex income created by those handfull of Constantia winefarms far outweighs the income generated by "argus". Groot Constantia on its own sees over a 1000 foreign visitors a day... Pretty simple math

quote name="Sven137" post="2565662" timestamp="1425530065"]Most homes and businesses are insured.. But to trivialise the argus is, sad the argus brings millions of randsI into the Cape economy.. So if the wine farm burnt to the ground the owners would get paid out by the insurers ..

But the fallout from the cycle race disaster could take longer to recover from..

They could have added marine drive up to table view onto the route.. It can be closed with no real problems as they have koeberg Road and the N7 to service these suburbs

It isn't difficult to understand the different perspectives offered in this thread:

Yes, a disaster for the Cape in terms of the fire. And with this kicks in the regional protectionism and generosity and community involvement in dealing with this mayhem. Loss is inevitable and tales of hardship and devastation are inevitable.

Against this, the "outsiders" questioning their participation in an internationally recognized bike race that has, as far as they are concerned, massively disappointed their expectations. 

Seems easy for locals to roll up their shirtsleeves and pitch in and make the most of a bad situation. And with this, little sympathy for "outsiders" whose only involvement is a significant contribution to the annual income of the city of Cape Town. They, too, are admonished to chip in and help. Commendable for those that do, but hardly a sin for those who have sacrificed no small amount in other ways to fund their trip to Argus and are questioning the options. For them it isn't just about the money they drop in Cape Town on Cycle Tour weekend - its about the multiples of that they have to spend to get there. 

Argus has been around for many years. So have fires in the Peninsula. I can't fault Slowbee for expecting more from a self-proclaimed World Class Event. I suspect there has been no small element of comfort-zoning for the Tour organizers over the many years they have been profiting from participation in their event. To this day the bulk of the participants are from outside Cape Town. I suspect they might be taken a little for granted. 

I say this because the Argus has long enjoyed pre-eminent ranking as the race to go to. The 94.7 is a pale comparison for it's own reasons. But that doesn't entitle Cape Town to expect automatic continuance of this ranking. Other cities are watching closely to see how they too can create their own money-spinner out of cyclists' wishes to ride/race in pleasant, quasi-vacation surroundings. So places like Durban, with it's growing popularity in races like Tour D'Urban offer a significant challenge as real competition to Argus for those many up-country riders. At a third of the cost and half the attitude?

These are simple, pragmatic thoughts. They will manifest more for the travellers on their way home after a 47km ride that might well have cost them between 5 and 10k to enjoy. Next year, before they automatically reach for the mouse to try and squeeze in an Argus entry, the finger might hesitate and then look for alternatives.

And so grows the competition. 

Still don't get why they don't take the race up kloofnek through camps bay and back. At least we'd get a nice climb with another 15km or so extra.

then they shut down the cable car for a whole day. It takes more than 3 days to convince the biggest tourist attraction in Cape Town to shut down for the whole day. If it shuts down because of the weather its one thing, but to give 35000 guys a few kms extra? Really!?

oh that's a great plan,

meet the lads at Van der Graaf's Pool. Its tidal. Wear bibs.

tisk tisk snigger snigger

and bring your firemans helmet :ph34r:

It isn't difficult to understand the different perspectives offered in this thread:Yes, a disaster for the Cape in terms of the fire. And with this kicks in the regional protectionism and generosity and community involvement in dealing with this mayhem. Loss is inevitable and tales of hardship and devastation are inevitable.Against this, the "outsiders" questioning their participation in an internationally recognized bike race that has, as far as they are concerned, massively disappointed their expectations.  Seems easy for locals to roll up their shirtsleeves and pitch in and make the most of a bad situation. And with this, little sympathy for "outsiders" whose only involvement is a significant contribution to the annual income of the city of Cape Town. They, too, are admonished to chip in and help. Commendable for those that do, but hardly a sin for those who have sacrificed no small amount in other ways to fund their trip to Argus and are questioning the options. For them it isn't just about the money they drop in Cape Town on Cycle Tour weekend - its about the multiples of that they have to spend to get there.  Argus has been around for many years. So have fires in the Peninsula. I can't fault Slowbee for expecting more from a self-proclaimed World Class Event. I suspect there has been no small element of comfort-zoning for the Tour organizers over the many years they have been profiting from participation in their event. To this day the bulk of the participants are from outside Cape Town. I suspect they might be taken a little for granted.  I say this because the Argus has long enjoyed pre-eminent ranking as the race to go to. The 94.7 is a pale comparison for it's own reasons. But that doesn't entitle Cape Town to expect automatic continuance of this ranking. Other cities are watching closely to see how they too can create their own money-spinner out of cyclists' wishes to ride/race in pleasant, quasi-vacation surroundings. So places like Durban, with it's growing popularity in races like Tour D'Urban offer a significant challenge as real competition to Argus for those many up-country riders. At a third of the cost and half the attitude? These are simple, pragmatic thoughts. They will manifest more for the travellers on their way home after a 47km ride that might well have cost them between 5 and 10k to enjoy. Next year, before they automatically reach for the mouse to try and squeeze in an Argus entry, the finger might hesitate and then look for alternatives. And so grows the competition.

I don't think anyone disagrees with anything you have said, and I agree that people who have spent a lot of money from out of town, or country, would feel really disappointed.

The problem you have here is not one of planning though. There has been work started in Sea Point a week ago on things like the start finish, television coverage, the works. It isn't the route that is the problem, but a multitude of other issues. If they moved it to Stellies on a whim, there'd be more people complaining of transport, lack of parking, dangerous roads, and an underwhelming experience after the ride.

I am surprised they didn't cancel it. Perhaps a different question is why there was no 'event insurance' that could offer refunds to people who have suffered financial loss. (other than travel insurance).

Look what happened in that race in Jhb with rolling road closures, when it was a farce with just a group of pro's.

The other options of doing an out and back past Blouberg would involve national N-roads, or otherwise small back roads that would be unsafe for masses. Or I think!

Well I have to drive 2200km to ride the 47km. I will find a way to donate to help aswell, Just gotta find a firemans helmet for sunday now.

Awesome way to look at it!  Proper cyclist!!

Where is it ok to ride in Cape Town and surrounds?! I've paid for plane tickets - car hire - hotel accommodation - bike transportation. I'm gonna make it worthwhile come flames, ash, damaged roads, smoke inhalation .... Bla bla bla

pssst, do not tell anybody, but you could ride the R44 from Strand to Betty's bay, all along the mountain and sea as well ..

I'm as disappointed as one could be.

But the insane criticism spouted by some is unreal. Will you take personal responsibility if the decision was up to you? Bet not. It speaks of immaturity and selfishness.

I've done the Hot one, the Windy one, a few Detours,  now I'll do the Short one.

My only question, are there any easily accessible pubs between the University and the Blue Route.....

Forresters Arms ( or forries ) might be a leke jol on sunday......... In Newlands just below University.

They might have to arrange a bike park there, and a take me home service.........

Yep, sitting in Randburg you can make a comment like that! IF you were in Cape Town and saw even a little bit of what was actually going on at the ground level, your entertainment area with its thatch roof laps would be about as popular as this post! The fire has no predetermined areas it is picking and there are a couple of hundred people sleeping in makeshift camps as they have been evacuated from their homes with nothing more than their wallet and their phones!

I am a Capetonian and have seen many fires.. And all the emotions that come with it. Bit the bottom is that it's, good for the fynbos and the wine farms and properties are insured.. And if you live in a fire zone get out. You know you're in a fire zone as this happens every year

It's, always houtbay, silver mine, across to glencairn and Muizenberg basically the tail of the mountain .. Plus some of the wine farms..

Edited by Sven137

........ or otherwise small back roads that would be unsafe for masses. Or I think!

....I didn't experience the routes for the Durby Dash, 99er and Tour de PPA as small back roads which is unsafe for masses.   

I think you greatly simplify the options available to the CTCT organisers. I don't think that "alternative routes" ever include an entire 109km route in addition to the normal one. There must be some alternative stretches, e.g. Ou Kaapse Weg + Constantia neck for incase Chappies proves unusable. But to have an entire full length route in reserve seems impossible: think of all the community liaision, permissions etc you would have to have in place to get full road closures for a full route? The organisers also clearly stated that the emergency services and city officials are under severe strain because of the fires and there simply are not enough resources to fully support a massive event like the tour and still keep the fires out of our houses. It is definitely not just about choosing a piece of road and blocking it off...

As for the support services: last night we sat on our stoep watching a new fire start just above Ocean View when none of the main fires were even close to it. Today: a new fire in Cape Point. Can you even imagine under what strain the city's resources are?

They could have gone towards the Northern suburbsvia N1 via Durbanville and then on to Big BAy area back to town - would have been equally stunning.