Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

I'm from out of town. You'll have to enlighten me.......

It's at the bottom of Boyes Drive, so literally almost at the halfway point!

Toad on the Road it's called I believe...

post-1208-0-39956800-1425502467_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tubehunter

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it. I know where it is...

yup, it's like peddlars but the divorcees are one further notch nqocd

3 things I want to ask:

- Will this count as an official Argus, this is my no 10?

- If we paid for 2 laps, what happens?

- Will this still be a seeding event, I assume No?

Lets do it for the commeradie, I've been deprived from beer for 2 weeks now and need to catch up!!! This is the most exciting Argus yet, maybe better than 2002(the heat wave & closure) and 2009(the wind). Way too excited to cruise on the Argus and go from cafe shop to coffee shop, always wanted to do it and now is the time!!!

if you google that image you will find out that it is from America not from Cape Town. I didnt pay R1 000 to get my bike to Cape Town plus airfares to ride 47km so I will probably still choose to get a group together and go ride out in the winelands. While some people can do a 47km ride, others of us use our weekends for training. I salute the cause and if I lived in Cape Town still I would line up with glee, but after the effort and organising of getting there from JHB I would prefer to take advantage of some scenery and a proper cycle. I do 47km before work in the week. 

Oh dear. Honestly seems I've also been caught up in the emotion of the situation based on a misleading picture. But in my own defence, it's about the animals - both domestic and wild - that have been caught up in the fires that feel so sorry for. That's reality for me.

Regarding the 47km, on any given day most of us could do the distance with our eyes closed. Like you, I do this at least twice a week on dirt on my MTB. But this isn't any given day ...

We recently (December) nearly had a ski holiday cancelled because it was "the slowest start to winter" in recent time. Up until Christmas Eve, we were considering alternatives. But we'd paid, and there wasn't really alternatives unless we were willing to pay for two holidays. That's where I learnt about proper travel insurance for the first time. But we would have travelled and have done sight seeing if needs be, even though we were booked for skiing. Fortunately for us, a mother of a snow storm hit Europe on the night we were travelling, and it added 12 hours to our journey by train whilst many were stranded overnight with children in cars.

My point being that Mother Nature sometimes presents us as a species with curve balls we can't deal with, even when we believe we're in control or feel the the outcome should be justified by our expectations.

365 days ago when the planning for 2015 CTCT started they did not picture a scenario where every access road to the South Peninsula would be closed due to a natural disaster. This is the 37th (I think) running of the event and the FIRST time something like this has happened.

I have some disaster management responsibilities and given that track record I would also not have factored in a complete deviation of the route as another instance of the Argus\CTCT. Doing that would essentially make it a different race altogether....

But hindsight is 20-20 vision. Heck, even I speculated on a different route earlier on this thread, fully well knowing it was pie in the sky, as all the events permissions and tabled requirements, would have been based around using the Southern Peninsula. We're effectively being given whatever the City will allow us to use of that route! Thank you Cycle Tour Trust for getting us somewhere to ride without any cars on Sunday, WHILE the mountain is still burning! FULLY APPRECIATED!

I quote:"As part of our standard operating procedure we have alternative route plans available for consideration by the authorities."

3 things I want to ask:

- Will this count as an official Argus, this is my no 10?

- If we paid for 2 laps, what happens?

- Will this still be a seeding event, I assume No?

Lets do it for the commeradie, I've been deprived from beer for 2 weeks now and need to catch up!!! This is the most exciting Argus yet, maybe better than 2002(the heat wave & closure) and 2009(the wind). Way too excited to cruise on the Argus and go from cafe shop to coffee shop, always wanted to do it and now is the time!!!

It should still count as long as you ride with your chip and you get timed. The event will be official, so your finish should be too!

Follow same procedure and get to line up twice and sing HHHHHHOOOOOOOOOPPLAA a second time, savouring the joy klapping it twice.

The route is too short for any meaningful seeding I think.

Relax everyone, this is only really the first training ride for the DC 2015 anyway, so its a little shorter, do a few extra KM cycling there to up the KM.

It could have been worse, they could have added a third compulsory stop to the DC!! :P

I quote:"As part of our standard operating procedure we have alternative route plans available for consideration by the authorities."

Alternative route plans around the South Peninsula. There is no way of getting there, let alone back with both Boyes and OKW out of commission.

Any other alternative routes would have had to be advertised with the local communities in the area weeks, if not months in advance to ensure the City took into account any valid reasons not to grant a permit to the Cycle Tour Trust.

Is your expectation that the Organisers really had a completely separate and backup route ready to roll in 3 days given they have never ever needed this in the history of the event before?

Hi What time do you suggest?

Well, seems everybody's going to be in party mode now, so an early start would be irresponsible.  08h00 Sat morning starting from ... but only if you have the PPA top. We might get into trouble for this ...

yup, it's like peddlars but the divorcees are one further notch nqocd

This is important. What is nqocd?????

To many "I"s and "me"s in this thread to read through all this crap. There is no way any one can plan for all the fires and road closures that have cropped up. So put your big boy pants on, stop crying about nothing and for one day get on your bike and enjoy riding it instead of making everything a race, heaven forbid you might enjoy it. And while you are at it, try to show your appreciation for the folks trying to save the peninsula from burning down. There are bigger issues at stake here than your sub 3, 4 or 5 hour Argus.

This is important. What is nqocd?????

Shorthand speak for - Not Quite Our Class Darling

Us old toppies need to research this...