Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

Shorthand speak for - Not Quite Our Class Darling

Us old toppies need to research this...

Ah. It is the q that threw me.

Where i come from. You either are ocd or not ocd. No degrees like quite....

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is always easy to take the base "My position is right; your position is wrong." and not for one moment really considering for more than 6 fuming seconds that the problem is based in a situation which offers little other option. 

Consider for a moment the scenario's faced by the organisers in telling the entrants 'sorry guys, you now ride less than 50km's.' You really think they made this choice cause it was the easy call? If people loose life or limb because of a call which allowed you to ride through a burning area whom will you blame? You'll line up pitchforks and torches?

When the Highveld in Mpumalanga starts burning again in August you are welcome to bring your bike and see if you can race a fire that is being driven by a 70km/h wind...... When you see how quick a fire runs and how it skips a highway you will recognise the deadly danger that this seeming inconvenience called a wild fire really is. 

Personally I've decided to not be go down to CPT for the weekend. I'll get to ride again in 2016; my training is not lost since there are many more races in 2015. My prayers go out to the owners who lost property and the firemen trying to stop this disaster as soon as possible. To the guys meandering on Sunday, enjoy the privilege of riding your bike. 

Big question, does forries have enough beer for the weekend?[/quote

I will personally check and report back....

Hey thanks Mrs Slowbee, I think that slap with the frying pan did His Slowness a lot of good, he is sounding much more rational in this post. Just one more little bang on the head and he will be his old sensible self again.

It is not often we sit at the dinner table with a frying pan let me tell you !

And it has been some time since I have taken this much heat (usually it is because I use mod power that gets me in trouble with everyone). I mean Davem calling me arrogant scored 28 odd likes .... kazaam that means ALOT of poo my way (but not miway's).

Anyhow - had some time to think this over, especially Tubehunter, DJR, flymango, Skubarra's comments (and a few others). It seems there are a whole range of things being mixed up in this. So I want to clarify (aka dig a deeper hole.....)

I am trying to imagine the discussion around potential cancellation and the implications there of. It comes down to financial. It is about the money. Cancellation at this late stage would mean the expo would go out the window - suppliers would have put a lot of money into it.  BUT if there was to much risk, to much emotion (people losing homes, firefighters on the job), cancellation would have been best and I am sure most(!) people would have understood. But I dont think they could cancel it would just cost to much money.

Which brings them to the route. Now maybe a route through the burbs was never on their cards as they never thought it would happen, I mean first time in 20 odd years. And it is a peninsula route. I imagine they decided to just do the shorter route to at least have a ride and have something to offer because cancellation is not an option.

The question to ask is, is this acceptable? Given that the fire has damaged the route (put at risk) the answer is yes. Given that the fire may well still be burning and into Table Mountain - I am not so sure it becomes acceptable (even moving the route). So what are they trying to achieve by having the ride?

Why am (was) I so angry. Moving 35000 people around is a mammoth task, a real mammoth one. Yes all the alternative routes went bang. BUT (and this is the rub) I was expecting more from them as a world class organisation. I was expecting the organisers to do better. I still do. Yes it would have been a nightmare to do, sort out a new route given such short notice and get everything in place. But is that not what world class organisations do. Is that not what the best in the world do. Now I read a comment that local government can give permission for local road closures so a plan could (should?) have been made to show what CoCT is possible of. BUT (and this is where the frying pan came in) the wife asked, just what exactly would you want to achieve by having a 107 km ride (not race) through the burbs and cape flats and up north when the same net result can be achieved on a 47km route that is already in place.

Before you flame - just ask this, were the expectations to high ?

It is not often we sit at the dinner table with a frying pan let me tell you !

And it has been some time since I have taken this much heat (usually it is because I use mod power that gets me in trouble with everyone). I mean Davem calling me arrogant scored 28 odd likes .... kazaam that means ALOT of poo my way (but not miway's).

Anyhow - had some time to think this over, especially Tubehunter, DJR, flymango, Skubarra's comments (and a few others). It seems there are a whole range of things being mixed up in this. So I want to clarify (aka dig a deeper hole.....)

I am trying to imagine the discussion around potential cancellation and the implications there of. It comes down to financial. It is about the money. Cancellation at this late stage would mean the expo would go out the window - suppliers would have put a lot of money into it.  BUT if there was to much risk, to much emotion (people losing homes, firefighters on the job), cancellation would have been best and I am sure most(!) people would have understood. But I dont think they could cancel it would just cost to much money.

Which brings them to the route. Now maybe a route through the burbs was never on their cards as they never thought it would happen, I mean first time in 20 odd years. And it is a peninsula route. I imagine they decided to just do the shorter route to at least have a ride and have something to offer because cancellation is not an option.

The question to ask is, is this acceptable? Given that the fire has damaged the route (put at risk) the answer is yes. Given that the fire may well still be burning and into Table Mountain - I am not so sure it becomes acceptable (even moving the route). So what are they trying to achieve by having the ride?

Why am (was) I so angry. Moving 35000 people around is a mammoth task, a real mammoth one. Yes all the alternative routes went bang. BUT (and this is the rub) I was expecting more from them as a world class organisation. I was expecting the organisers to do better. I still do. Yes it would have been a nightmare to do, sort out a new route given such short notice and get everything in place. But is that not what world class organisations do. Is that not what the best in the world do. Now I read a comment that local government can give permission for local road closures so a plan could (should?) have been made to show what CoCT is possible of. BUT (and this is where the frying pan came in) the wife asked, just what exactly would you want to achieve by having a 107 km ride (not race) through the burbs and cape flats and up north when the same net result can be achieved on a 47km route that is already in place.

Before you flame - just ask this, were the expectations to high ?

Never let the truth interfere with a good story ... :whistling:

Never let the truth interfere with a good story ... :whistling:

I cant see - to much muskadel on the screen .......

(hope to see you at Sani!!)

Understand Slowbbbbzzz, that you will never make EVERYONE happy all of the time. If you moved the ride into a different part of the Cape there would be people complaining about transport issues getting to and from the new start and finish venues, before you got the first approval from local government about a route change. How many community members would disregard marshals and traffic when trying to get out of landlocked areas because they made plans for the weekend and only now have found out they are confined to their homes for the day. Just one of those eeedjits pulling out into a road into oncoming racing groups? Picture the scene then!

I woulda loved to see a new route myself, but then I have over 15 of the events completed. Some new comers would probably not want to ride it if it went somewhere else, just cause it's not the CTCT then...

You have been given a gift my man. You now have to ride twice as slow to still take as long as you normally would! Enjoy the day sucker!

Slowbee, great rant but.. What EXACTLY did you expect from them? Give us 1 idea. Canceling cannot happen- to much money invested and vested into it. Move the route.... To where exactly? Do you honesly think the city of cape town's main concern right now is to have a pow-wow with cycle tour organizers to organize new road closures and logistic while half of their city is under flames.... Seriously?

Honestly mate, i dont dont know you or where you live, but I was in Constantia today to assist with colleagues in the wine industry who's farms and properties are engulfed in flames. Chapmans peak will probably be off limits for months if not a few years after these fires- so in all honesty, bitching and moaning about not being catered for is a bloody insult to over a thousand people fighting a national disaster to protect other peoples property and lives.

You honestly do not need to respond to this, as I am not debating semantics or principles here; just plain bloody logic.

I want to respond. Cause I like your post (I have run out of likes for the day) One of the things I like about the Hub is the ability to have an opinion - but in chatting to others your mind opens a bit and so change your (my) opinion.

Slowbee, great rant but.. What EXACTLY did you expect from them? Give us 1 idea. Canceling cannot happen- to much money invested and vested into it. Move the route.... To where exactly? Do you honesly think the city of cape town's main concern right now is to have a pow-wow with cycle tour organizers to organize new road closures and logistic while half of their city is under flames.... Seriously?

I expected the city and the tour to work together under trying circumstances to still put on a world class event. Which they are still doing by the way - but it should have been a full route. Tubehunters comment above struck a cord with me on this. They may well have pulled this off BUT, getting a community to buy into full road closure is not possible in 3 days. Yes they could do everything else in 3 days - but to get the people who live in those areas to understand the exact nature of the ride/race is nigh impossible. It has taken almost 20 odd years to get folks conditioned to the existing route (and they still complain)!

So a route change is out and my thoughts on this fall flat, so one banana milkshake for Tubehunter :clap:  I will have to catch him first to buy it for him!

Honestly mate, i dont dont know you or where you live, but I was in Constantia today to assist with colleagues in the wine industry who's farms and properties are engulfed in flames. Chapmans peak will probably be off limits for months if not a few years after these fires- so in all honesty, bitching and moaning about not being catered for is a bloody insult to over a thousand people fighting a national disaster to protect other peoples property and lives.

This is where things are still murky. I am being catered for, I get to ride 47km ! But if things are as bad as you say - then why not cancel ? Why not just cancel. I mean Table mountain is under threat. How the hell I am meant to enjoy a ride knowing the mountain is burning? And on this, does it even bother me (you) that the Overberg is also burning and men and woman are at risk there, that farming friends are loosing the only means to pay back the bank?

And complaining about a cycle route change has got nothing to do with insulting people who put there lives on the line for us. They do a dam thankless job when not in the lime light.

Aargh, c'mon guys. Stop this negativity. I realise there are many riders who spent lots of money getting here to do the ride but stop being so selfish.

This will be my 7th ride and I for one will be doing 47km with pride. I, as I'm sure lots of other riders too have spent the last 3 nights fighting raging infernos and where I on more than 3 occasions thought I was not going to make it out of the flames. Have a heart and respect those who were directly affected.

How many community members would disregard marshals and traffic when trying to get out of landlocked areas because they made plans for the weekend and only now have found out they are confined to their homes for the day.

First post against a route change that makes any sense (well to me anyway).

It has taken 20 yrs to the folk on the existing route used to this one day and they still complain.

Tube if you meet me on your way back. We'll share a something nice over the barriers :)

Still don't get why they don't take the race up kloofnek through camps bay and back. At least we'd get a nice climb with another 15km or so extra.

To many "I"s and "me"s in this thread to read through all this crap. There is no way any one can plan for all the fires and road closures that have cropped up. So put your big boy pants on, stop crying about nothing and for one day get on your bike and enjoy riding it instead of making everything a race, heaven forbid you might enjoy it. And while you are at it, try to show your appreciation for the folks trying to save the peninsula from burning down. There are bigger issues at stake here than your sub 3, 4 or 5 hour Argus.

I agree with camelman if you live here and especially down South you would see the bigger picture

please go and tell these guys about your bicycle ride being shortened.

Why... It's their job. That's the career path that they choose.. Volunteer firemen.. Like volunteer police and paramedics.. It's what they signed up for and this is hero hour for them and they thrive on it ..

And I'm am so tired of hearing the same houses getting burnt down every few years because of the fire. And the guy who saved his house a few years back and now who's house burnt down because he put a thatched roof on in a fire zone.. Well what did you expect mate.. I don't stand on the middle of the road and not expect to be hit by a car..

This is not the first time that there have been massive, fires, in ct and won't be the last... Plus its good for the finebos anyway.

Edited by Sven137