Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard the same interview. What surprised me was that Theo Lane said they had viewed Chapman's Peak from the helicopter. He stated that they could see that the catchment nets were damaged, but that a on the scene inspection was necessary to determine the degree. In the next breath he stated that Chappies was safe for use. I wondered at the contradiction.

I also heard that, and wondered why he was contradicting himself. 

Cap, the fire, she is still burning. How can the Organisers ask the fire fighting services to move out of the way so that they can deploy waterstations, EVEN IF THE CATCHNETS ARE IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER?

The reaction to Chappies is based on the fact that there was enough heat generated by the fire to cause significant expansion of the rock structure on the top of the mountain. What the impact of that will turn out to be is unknown and certainly will not be determined within the next 3 days. How many lives would be put at risk, attempting to push the race through is original route? What are the chances the city will sign off on plans like these???

Is this really that much of a stretch for people to grasp????????????????

Theo Lane stated in the interview that an aerial inspection revealed that the catchment nets were damaged.

Edit: syntax

Edited by Blackbeard

So like I said earlier, we will still be in Cape Town this weekend and we will still do the ride.

Shorter route is completely understandable and I can also understand that to arrange a new route is out of the question.

BUT

Why cant we ride a second lap? I entered and paid for a second lap and I will be back very early from my first lap so whats the problem?

And whats happening with the money we paid for the second lap?

The route will be too congested for people to do a second lap. Because it's so short the volume of riders making it back in time to consider doing this will make it a non option for everyone. Especially when the temptation to do it twice and get closer to a full distance will be such an option for most of the first half of the field!

Send the organisers a mail and ask them if they'll refund your 2nd lap entry. I don't see any reason they wont do this, if they are the one's stopping this add on feature to the event.

11018620_10152633300377212_5260385056219

You are right.

One call to her broker and this 82 year old woman will hardly notice that there had been a fire 

Its a New South Africa misconception that only rich people stay up in those parts. Look around your house tonight when you get home and think to yourself what you would take if you had to evacuate, have 20 minutes to pack and there would be no come-backs later. Bikes are insured, furniture is insured, but the photo albums, portraits, artwork, things like my Wilbur Smith collection with curled pages from re reading them and the memories we made here has no replacement value. This with my dogs, my wife and my son is all that matters. 

11018620_10152633300377212_5260385056219

You are right.

One call to her broker and this 82 year old woman will hardly notice that there had been a fire 

LIKE - I was just about to post this picture, this is a tragedy.. not a shortened Argus.. grow up and stop moaning about the money\Training time\Etc you are "losing"..

So like I said earlier, we will still be in Cape Town this weekend and we will still do the ride.

Shorter route is completely understandable and I can also understand that to arrange a new route is out of the question.

BUT

Why cant we ride a second lap? I entered and paid for a second lap and I will be back very early from my first lap so whats the problem?

And whats happening with the money we paid for the second lap?

Maybe you should start by counting to 35000.. That's why you can't ride a second lap. There won't be space, that's why.

Can't they take is to the BAck of Durbanville around Vissershok and Kottermanskloof coming in onthe West Coast road or Plattekloof road back to Town ?