‘Middle-aged businessmen are winning amateur races on EPO’

nonky

‘Middle-aged businessmen are winning amateur races on EPO’

Cyclists in action in Yorkshire. Taking dope is on the increase lower down the competitive ladder, the UCI fears. Photograph: Gary Calton for the Guardian

William Fotheringham

Monday 9 March 2015 00.44 GMT Last modified on Monday 9 March 2015 01.37 GMT

The relentless series of doping scandals within professional cycling in recent years hides disturbing developments lower down the competitive ladder, reported the Union Cycliste International’s Independent Commission for Reform in Cycling, which stated its belief that doping was increasing among under-23s and in teams below WorldTour, and that “doping in amateur cycling is becoming endemic. This was confirmed by riders, professionals, managers and anti-doping personnel”.

The report also raised concerns about doping in over-40s racing, stating that: “Masters races were said to have middle-aged businessmen winning on EPO, with some of them training as hard as professional riders and putting in comparable performances.” It also conjured up the surreal image of professional riders explaining that “they no longer ride in Gran Fondos” – popular, lengthy timed events run mainly in Italy – “because they were so competitive due to the number of riders doping”.

The upsurge in doping among amateurs, said the report, was “caused by ease of access to drugs via gyms and the internet, the reduction in costs for substances, a spread of knowledge in means and methods of administration, and a lack of funding for regular testing at the amateur level”.

Another reason it suggested was that the UCI had directed its efforts at the highest echelon and “part of the doping problem has shifted to layers below the top level. It has been reported that doping has grown more prominent in U23 riders and particularly within continental teams. In this group of cyclists there are many athletes that want to turn professional and/or look for good contracts and are, thus, particularly vulnerable to doping.”

It cited the case of “a team below the UCI WorldTour recently involved in doping. It was claimed that the team manager and sports director brought a nutritionist into the team who advised a selected group of riders within the team on a doping programme. The instructions were to administer EPO Zeta every second day after 11pm at night, and alternate in the winter with HGH and Lutrelef, a hormone. Their haematocrit levels were to be tested every third day, and amounts of EPO Zeta reduced [by half] as the season approached.”

The commission reported that it had heard from a national anti-doping body, that it felt that “testing at the amateur level was not done because they are only amateurs and we concentrate on professionals”. It added that “other Nados [National Anti-Doping Organisations] indicated that they carried out some testing at amateur level. Budgetary constraints restrict the amount of testing that can be done at amateur level.

“As a consequence, as amateur riders told the commission, they know that it is highly unlikely that they will be tested so they know that it is easy to dope and get away with it. The more widespread doping at the amateur level means the concept of doping is reinforced at the broader amateur level ie. within the wider fan base. Internet chat rooms provide significant information in the many discussions about doping.”

This is borne out by test results in recent years, which include a third-category French amateur who tested positive for 12 substances, mainly steroids and corticoids, the most ever found in a single sample, and the British cyclist Dan Staite, who was banned for using EPO in 2010. Another case in 2012 involved a 47-year-old member of the Danish Cycling Federation’s board, who tested positive for testosterone and cortisone in a veteran’s race.

CIRC also made the point that youth cycling merits attention being “particularly vulnerable as anti-doping testing is concentrated at the elite level so doping may go undetected at lower levels. If youth riders want to reach higher ranks, the incentives are there to dope at an early age. As a result, some managers try to identify good quality amateur riders in their mid-teens to sign them clean before they got exposed to doping.”

The commission recommended the UCI should look closely at women’s cycling as it grows to prevent a similar problem developing to the one among male professionals.

The report concluded that doping in women’s cycling “most probably is not as widespread and systematic. This is likely because far less money is available in women’s road racing. The commission was told of doping at the highest levels nevertheless, and it is logical to assume that when women’s cycling is developed to a status comparable to the men’s sport, it will attract the same problems unless steps are taken now to protect it from that fate.”

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/09/doping-cycling-uci-commission-epo-worldtour

Saw it this morning, found it curious, but the article/report has lots of allegations but very little facts other than some anecdotal evidence

And on this forum there will be an absolute witch hunt if anyone suggests that amateurs be tested !!

And on this forum there will be an absolute witch hunt if anyone suggests that amateurs be tested !!

If you are clean and have nothing to hide, why would you be against testing no matter what level you are?

and this is different from Rugby, football, grid Iron, golf, lawn bowles and Jukskei how?

Its not, those sports just need to get tested too. Cycling has a bad reputation, its unfortunate but it is the reality. We need to accept this and work to fix it. Pointing at other transgressors doesnt really help. That is a tactic our politicians use. "Yes, I am corrupt, but so is he so leave me alone".

I agree with ScottC-M, test the VAs, VBs and VCs, why not... they are all clean.

dope testing at the Argus, in order to determine the role of doping in the record number sub 3 hour results discovered that doping was prevalant among the middle aged. 

Doctor Lance Inthearm, stated that this is a concern, as not only was it dangerous to exercise under the influence of Evening Primrose OIl but also it may clash with alcohol and other drugs taken by middale aged executives, such as cociane, Hypertension medication and tik.

He said that these people should aknowledge that they could not race when they were young and no matter how juiced they are there is still no substitute for actual training....

If you are clean and have nothing to hide, why would you be against testing no matter what level you are?

I have nothing to hide.  Hell, they can test me anytime they want.

But having being tested twice as a funrider in VA racing, it is the METHOD and total brake-in to your privacy and dignity.  A guy looking at your piepie the whole time is no fun at all.

I am a total needle phobe but I would take a blood test any day rather than a urine test.   Hell.... I can't even pee at the doctors office!

But I do get it why the testers do it because idiots have cheated before........we have heard and read about the stories.....

It does not take away that damn feeling of being raped after you have done the test and that is my main problem with the whole testing of amateurs. 

My question is......

If cycling is a profession.  Why waste money....and this is the MAIN reason why pros are not tested more often in SA.....why waste money on an amateur the has no hopes in hell of becoming pro?

To me it is very simple.....Take away the cause/reason to dope.......

So why do people dope........

Financial gains....take that away from vets/amateur racing - no podiums and no prize money

Fame & Fortune.....so what....now you are a "recognised Vets/amateur racer"  No harm done.  HAHAHHA.  I cannot see why you would put your life at risk to be famous......famous?  Amongst Vets?  BAHAHAHHA....

So there you go.

Professionalize the sport.  Only those doing it as a profession goes through the testing.....saving time, money and resources.  Cleaning up the sport.

And if some dumbass funrider/amateur/vet is doping.....it is because of his own ego and no test in this world is going to stop him.  Be it in his sport, personal life, hobby or work.

Test the profession more. 

My 2c.

The great fun rider vs licenced rider debate.

Basically if you ride for a team, amateur or pro, and/or receive any financial assistance from sponsors, prize money, or salary you are no longer a fun rider.  You have a responsibility to your "masters" to be clean.

If however you are just a participant, and do not influence the race results, then things are different.  Why waste the money on drug testing on also rans?

and this is different from Rugby, football, grid Iron, golf, lawn bowles and Jukskei how?

All the sports listed above, except juksei, have a ball involved  :whistling:

Sorry, couldn't resist

Guest notmyname

When you enter you agree to a set of rules predetermined by the authority sanctioning the event. So regardless whether to are a pro, weekend legend, fun rider or chop on a bike those rules apply. I have absolutely no issue with being tested as a non pro, chop on a bike, weekend whatever. However the same procedure must be followed regardless of your "title". So if the pros have a wizz watcher I'd expect to have to same. I mean I paid for the event, I agreed to the rules, I expect the same treatment.

Call me naive but how much of this is due to ignorance?

I take part in the occasional MTB race and have absolutely no clue which medicines is allowed and which is not. I also do not ask my doctor or pharmacist what i can take and what is not allowed because i have a race......

But I guess you always get someone who may not be as innocent as me......

I rode VA for the first time ever this Argus, it didn't cross my mind once that something I ate or medicine I've taken etc. could contain banned substances. Then again winning didn't seriously cross my mind either!

Archived