2015 Momentum 947

ScottCM

Nevermind - found the problem.

Download from club website.

or download the zip file (attached)

attachicon.gifSplitTimeCalc_947_2015.zip

Awesome work Gerald - great tool - esp the custom print out.

Suggestion - maybe check your sub 20.50 option.  Appreciate it is probably based on real data, but seems for whatever reason the early splits here are too fast (faster than 2.30 splits) so someone aiming for this time more likely to bomb (guess those guys were looking at a 2.40 or quicker and ended on a 2.50)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my current problem. Learnt a good lesson at D2D. (Tried to hang onto the front bunch for the 1st 35km then I was done.)

I take 20km +- to warm up (my heart needs this to actually be at a slowish pace).

Then I suddenly get this "lets go" feeling.

Currently at then about the 80-85km mark I can feel fatigue kick in bad. (Hit a wall this past Sunday, but carried on slowly to 123km).

I don't come from a long history of riding distance (basically started 2 months ago after 3 years of max 30km relaxed outrides) and I can see that this is where that "know how/when" can come from.

Nutrition. Have a look at the top riders. You will be amazed by the amount they eat during a race. They eat all the time.

I find it difficult to eat during races because the pace does not always allow it but I try to eat a bar at about 1h into the race, energy gel at about 1h30min- 1h 45min, another bar at 2h and another energy gel at 2h30-2h45min and depending on how much racing is left I will ear another bar if the racing will take longer than 3h.

It will be to late if you start to feel the fatigue. You have to prevent it by fueling your body on a regular basis. If you wait to feel fatigued/thirsty then it's to late, your body will take time to recover and you don't have time in a race.

Liquid is best. The bar will be available as energy when you're in your car halfway home. 

Nutrition. Have a look at the top riders. You will be amazed by the amount they eat during a race. They eat all the time.

I find it difficult to eat during races because the pace does not always allow it but I try to eat a bar at about 1h into the race, energy gel at about 1h30min- 1h 45min, another bar at 2h and another energy gel at 2h30-2h45min and depending on how much racing is left I will ear another bar if the racing will take longer than 3h.

It will be to late if you start to feel the fatigue. You have to prevent it by fueling your body on a regular basis. If you wait to feel fatigued/thirsty then it's to late, your body will take time to recover and you don't have time in a race.

Liquid is best. The bar will be available as energy when you're in your car halfway home. 

IMO optimal nutrition is unique to each person. There are those that can ride for 4 hours on a sip of water and swear that's all you need, but personally I eat. I eat at least 2 quarters of a  peanut butter and honey saamie when racing less than 3 hours. 

For me, eating at +- 50 minute intervals on the bike means I can go further AND I'm better recovered to ride the next day. Also being used to eating on the bike makes digestive surprises less of a issue when riding very long hours.

IMO optimal nutrition is unique to each person. There are those that can ride for 4 hours on a sip of water and swear that's all you need, but personally I eat. I eat at least 2 quarters of a  peanut butter and honey saamie when racing less than 3 hours. 

For me, eating at +- 50 minute intervals on the bike means I can go further AND I'm better recovered to ride the next day. Also being used to eating on the bike makes digestive surprises less of a issue when riding very long hours.

We all have our personal preferences, however our bodies work pretty much the same way. If you're racing hard your gastro intestinal system can shut down or slow down due to lack of blood, which is all going to your muscles. Example is Nandos and Spur stops where guys get sick because the food is sitting in their stomachs. Fully fuelled at the start you should be able to go for 2 to 2.5 hours so you don't need much to get home in 3 hours. 

We all have our personal preferences, however our bodies work pretty much the same way. If you're racing hard your gastro intestinal system can shut down or slow down due to lack of blood, which is all going to your muscles. Example is Nandos and Spur stops where guys get sick because the food is sitting in their stomachs. Fully fuelled at the start you should be able to go for 2 to 2.5 hours so you don't need much to get home in 3 hours. 

Did a 125km training ride a few weeks back and I ate quite often. Had a race food bar every hour or so and had a gel when I started feeling tired. This meant that I still felt pretty good after the ride and felt like I could do quite some more riding.

However, when doing 90-100km training rides without eating, I'm MUCH more tired, especially afterwards and I take longer to recover.

So eating on the bike is essential for long and hard efforts, obviously the shorter the ride, the less you'll need.

Edit: Having said that, my stronger and fitter training partner did the same 125km ride with a lot less eating and drinking and I was much stronger after the ride and he took longer to recover from the ride

If your system shuts down, how does it absorb the water/fluid you take in? Or does it only use the fluid you had when you started the race? And if it's the case why do we get hungry and thirsty during a ride? I hardly ever ride at my max for the full duration of a race and there are VERY few people that can ride at max effort for the full duration of a race. There are plenty of times where I can sit up and allow my body to rest and consume some food.

Are you looking at the split calculator uploaded by Rob22, or the one I uploaded?

Rob22's will be slightly quicker over the first half as his factors in fatigue for the later groups.

Mine was based on 2014 times by the Vet groups and groups A - D, so it's based on real time at each of the points on the route. That of course changes depending on group dynamics on the day.

I've used historical data at other races over the last couple years to help pace the group, filled with my fellow club members. Slow it down if they're going too fast too early or speed it up if they're falling behind schedule. It does require that everyone is capable of riding at a variable pace, i.e. dig deep when required.

If I get some more spare time this week, I'll update the 3:15 - 5:00 split times.

Not sure if the is readable, but from this schedule it definitely looks like the sub 2:50 started hard, and slowed down, whereas the all the sub 2:45's started a bit slower and raised the pace as the race went on

Sub 2:30 Sub 2:35 Sub 2:40 Sub 2:45 Sub 2:50 Point Route Point  Distance  Ave: 37.3 Ave: 36.2 Ave: 35.0 Ave: 34.0 Ave: 32.9 1 Pooks_Hill 3.8 0:09:28 24.1 0:08:48 25.9 0:09:04 25.1 0:08:49 25.9 0:08:19 27.4 2 Blue_Hills 9.7 0:19:48 29.4 0:19:39 29.6 0:20:00 29.1 0:19:28 29.9 0:18:06 32.2 3 Heartbreak 13.2 0:25:55 30.6 0:25:55 30.6 0:25:48 30.7 0:25:02 31.6 0:24:37 32.2 4 Old_Finish 19.4 0:34:38 33.6 11:05:00 1.8 0:35:18 33.0 0:35:01 33.2 0:32:34 35.7 5 M1Highway 24.2 0:44:36 32.6 0:44:59 32.3 0:45:36 31.8 0:45:25 32.0 0:42:52 33.9 6 Wilds 36.9 1:07:29 32.8 1:09:41 31.8 1:10:06 31.6 1:08:34 32.3 1:10:12 31.5

I assume this depends on how hard you're riding as well, the harder you riding, the more frequently you'll have to be taking nutrition.

Are you looking at the split calculator uploaded by Rob22, or the one I uploaded?

Rob22's will be slightly quicker over the first half as his factors in fatigue for the later groups.

Mine was based on 2014 times by the Vet groups and groups A - D, so it's based on real time at each of the points on the route. That of course changes depending on group dynamics on the day.

I've used historical data at other races over the last couple years to help pace the group, filled with my fellow club members. Slow it down if they're going too fast too early or speed it up if they're falling behind schedule. It does require that everyone is capable of riding at a variable pace, i.e. dig deep when required.

If I get some more spare time this week, I'll update the 3:15 - 5:00 split times.

post-45233-0-54422200-1444133810_thumb.jpg

If your system shuts down, how does it absorb the water/fluid you take in? Or does it only use the fluid you had when you started the race? And if it's the case why do we get hungry and thirsty during a ride? I hardly ever ride at my max for the full duration of a race and there are VERY few people that can ride at max effort for the full duration of a race. There are plenty of times where I can sit up and allow my body to rest and consume some food.

Liquid vs Solid, sure you know the difference. The higher the nutritional (and fibre) content the longer is takes to digest. 

But go for it, eat away if it works for you. 

Awesome work Gerald - great tool - esp the custom print out.

Suggestion - maybe check your sub 20.50 option.  Appreciate it is probably based on real data, but seems for whatever reason the early splits here are too fast (faster than 2.30 splits) so someone aiming for this time more likely to bomb (guess those guys were looking at a 2.40 or quicker and ended on a 2.50)

Thanks - will check for more data and update accordingly.

I get what you all are saying about the eating/drinking thing, but try and take a non-rider on a 40km ride (race pace) even after being well fueled at the start and during the ride and see how they moan about the distance. I believe it is something ones body get use to, yes to all of us now 40km is like nothing, and to most of you 200km is normal, but for me, the 100km (race pace) is something I am now training my body (muscles...if I actually have something like this :blush:) use to. 

I eat like a pig in general, don't think it is that  :unsure:

I get what you all are saying about the eating/drinking thing, but try and take a non-rider on a 40km ride (race pace) even after being well fueled at the start and during the ride and see how they moan about the distance. I believe it is something ones body get use to, yes to all of us now 40km is like nothing, and to most of you 200km is normal, but for me, the 100km (race pace) is something I am now training my body (muscles...if I actually have something like this :blush:) use to. 

I eat like a pig in general, don't think it is that  :unsure:

post-22004-0-19291900-1444140068_thumb.jpg

Archived